PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17

jp80874
10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Sick and busy at work.... No time to read this. I'll double check the dates for the "reunion" and your show, john - when I have some time tonight or tomorrow night. Both sound great! All the best. Shawn

Shawn,

Sorry about sick. Much of that was here also, starting with Dolly when you were here and then me. The dogs were fine.

There may be a misunderstanding. The "reunion" is Thursday - Oct 17, 18, through Sunday Oct. 19th. If you want to camp, as you did last time, you are welcome to arrive Wednesday evening. There will be no porta potty unless enough people are coming to pony up the $110 rental.

The canal show starts Oct. 24 and goes through Jan. 15th. There are too many show related things that I want and in some cases need to do for the two events to be on the same weekend.

But you Shawn are welcome, as are any other film shooters interested.

John

jp80874
10-08-2008, 09:03 AM
At the last event Dorothy expressed doubt when I warned her to be careful about leaving food out or in her tent. I told her that we had raccoon, possum, coyote, and that the Richfield Police and Dog Catcher were trapping for wolves a mile away after some sightings. Well Dorothy you ain’t seen nothing yet. Read this. Southern Road is mile from where you were camping. How do you feel about a Mountain Lion in your pup tent? What has happened to the neighborhood? Where is Mr. Rogers when you need him? http://www.ohio.com/lifestyle/30553834.html

John

djkloss
10-08-2008, 09:42 AM
interesting article John, this summer we had a bear siting at presque isle beach. I don't know what ever happened to that.

So...maybe i could just pitch my tent as a decoy and sleep in my jeep! I hope you have a Nikon SLR (F100 or F6 of course) with a motor driven 400mm VC so you can shoot it ;)

jp80874
10-08-2008, 10:37 AM
interesting article John, this summer we had a bear siting at presque isle beach. I don't know what ever happened to that.

So...maybe i could just pitch my tent as a decoy and sleep in my jeep! I hope you have a Nikon SLR (F100 or F6 of course) with a motor driven 400mm VC so you can shoot it ;)

No, but I do have five shot semi auto 12 ga. shotguns with 1 oz. slugs left over from my days as a pro for Remington Arms. For something more powerful I would suggest you pal up with Bethe. Her "sweetie" as she calls him is a Lt. Col. on his way to Iraq. As a Spec 4 in the reserves during Nam days I had my own arms room and a Jeep with a mounted .30 Cal machine gun. Lord help us what a Lt. Col. could come up with. Still, there is nothing that moves so quietly as a big, 150 lbs, 8 ft. long, cat at night.

You all come. Did you wonder why I asked for an emergency contact in the questionnaire?

John

djkloss
10-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, they switched my hours around so now I'm working Sunday thru Thursday & have Friday & Saturday off at least till after the election. So I'm going to try and make it. And if I'm really ambitious, maybe I can make some prints. I promise I won't bring a hundred this time - that's just too many to sit through.

as for the lion... maybe there's safety in numbers?

jp80874
10-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Well, they switched my hours around so now I'm working Sunday thru Thursday & have Friday & Saturday off at least till after the election. So I'm going to try and make it. And if I'm really ambitious, maybe I can make some prints. I promise I won't bring a hundred this time - that's just too many to sit through.

as for the lion... maybe there's safety in numbers?

Great news. I think the goal is to be the second most attractive morsel. Anyone spending his days at the Country Maid may rise to the top of the list.

John

Jeff Bannow
10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Anyone spending his days at the Country Maid may rise to the top of the list.

John

I would say ice cream is worth the risk.

jp80874
10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I would say ice cream is worth the risk.
Life is full of risks one has to take.

jp80874
10-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Bob Steckmeyer, Ann Durham and Gideon will be joining us Saturday and Sunday.

John

winger
10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I'd be scared to see what he'd come up with for an arsenal. Did I forget to mention that he made the first Army rifle team, has the "President's Hundred" patch, and makes the first page of the results when he goes to the national matches? Though I think I'd rather have a photo of a mountain lion (as long as it leaves the rest of the local inhabitants alone).
I'm still waiting to see what my schedule will be like. I might end up just driving over during the week when the color might be good just on my own. I'd rather shoot with you guys, but the stars might not align properly for it.

Shawn Dougherty
10-08-2008, 10:53 PM
John, I finally had a chance to catch up with this... Glad to hear your show will be running for so long. I'll definately make it over at some point during that time. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not in a position to commit to coming over for the "reunion" just yet. Between work and some health issues my father is having I won't know until probably a few days before. I'll do my best to make it for at least a day trip. Great company you keep and thanks again. Shawn

jp80874
10-09-2008, 08:49 AM
. I might end up just driving over during the week when the color might be good just on my own. I'd rather shoot with you guys, but the stars might not align properly for it.

I hope if it comes to this that you will let Dolly and me know you are here. We would love to meet for a meal or just sit by the pond and talk. The deer are still walking by the willow tree, so I don't think the mountain lion is pressing our neighborhood yet. We have learned that when we see rabbits they have not seen coyote.

John

jp80874
10-09-2008, 08:53 AM
John, I finally had a chance to catch up with this... Glad to hear your show will be running for so long. I'll definately make it over at some point during that time. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not in a position to commit to coming over for the "reunion" just yet. Between work and some health issues my father is having I won't know until probably a few days before. I'll do my best to make it for at least a day trip. Great company you keep and thanks again. Shawn

Thanks Shawn. Come if you can and when you can. There is always a patch of grass for your tent and a pot of coffee for the conversation, inside or out.

Come to think of it we should make a run to the Country Maid to see if the cidar is in. Jeff, have you already checked?

John

Jeff Bannow
10-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Come to think of it we should make a run to the Country Maid to see if the cidar is in. Jeff, have you already checked?

John

Cider ice cream sounds delicious! :)

jp80874
10-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Long range weather report for Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Reunion I, Friday, September 17th – Sunday, September 19th

Fri., Oct. 17, 30% chance of precipitation, Cloudy, temp high 54, low 41

Sat., Oct. 18, 20% chance of precipitation, Partly Cloudy, temp high 53, low 36

Sun., Oct. 19, 10% chance of precipitation, Partly Cloudy, temp high 57, low 42

jp80874
10-14-2008, 10:07 AM
APUG NE Ohio Reunion I, Friday, September 17th – Sunday, September 19th

I thought we should once again try to get organized and see who is coming later this week. If you did not make the first event in the middle of September, but wished you had, come to this one. PM me and I will send directions.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources will post a Fall Color report in the next 24 hours which I will copy and paste here. The weather changes rapidly at this time of year, aided by this being the highest spot in NE Ohio and Lake Effect. I will post anything that looks different from today’s long range forecast as it comes out.

This is what I have been told about who is coming, and when. Please add any changes to the thread. Camping is available as before from Thursday evening on. Eight local motels are listed earlier in the thread.

Coming:
Bob Steckmeyer, Ann Durham (wife), Gideon (Shih Tzu Dog) ”We are planning on driving up early Saturday and staying through Sunday. Gideon will also attend.”

Shawn Dougherty “it looks like I'll come over sometime Saturday afternoon (hopefully for dinner) and spend the evening BSing with everyone. Sleep in the car (it's only one night,” Get this boy a pillow.

Dorothy Kloss: “Friday & Saturday off. So I'm going to try and make it.”

Dale Marsh, Ic-racer “Count me in. On the 19th I'll be checking out the Photorama as it is still mostly analog.”

Bethe Fishe, Winger, “I might make it.” Is the best detail I could get out of one post and four emails received.

Bannows, “Eva & I (Jeff) are trying to work in a visit - we would love to see the fall colors of penuchi, black cherry and mint chip again! I will report in as the schedule firms up.”

Waiting to hear:
Lee Lumpkin may be son sitting
Peter Spangenberg said he was coming. Waiting for confirmation.
Paul Armstrong ?

Bring anything new that you have printed since we last showed and told. I have a bunch of new 7x17 canal pictures, shot and printed since I delivered the thirty images to the museum show, Oct. 1.

I hope you will all come. We had a great time in September.

John Powers

Jeff Bannow
10-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Eva & I are in. We will be there Saturday morning, staying the night in John's darkroom and leaving Sunday afternoon after hitting Country Maid.

Nicholas Lindan
10-14-2008, 10:15 AM
We are staging a rematch: October 17, 18 and 19

John, your first gathering was an immensely enjoyable weekend. Wonderful company, a great setting and the epitome of the gracious host.

I will try to make it out again, but likely as a day-visitor.

Jeff Bannow
10-14-2008, 10:17 AM
If anyone coming is looking for a cheap 4x5, let me know. I have a monorail and a Speed Graphic I am looking to unload, and I could bring them along if needed.

jp80874
10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Eva & I are in. We will be there Saturday morning, staying the night in John's darkroom and leaving Sunday afternoon after hitting Country Maid.

Lets see, where did I put that pad lock?