PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

jp80874
10-16-2008, 11:55 AM
There is a current thread on the LF Forum about your experience with the worst camera ever. If it rains we might go to the grocery store and make up a batch of these. I scared the dogs I laughed so hard.

“A pinhole camera I made from a frozen turkey--baaaad idea!”
John Kasaian

Lee L
10-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I want to see either of us be quietly anything.
Which reminds me... should we start discussing what to do about Saturday evening dinner now? :D

Anyone up for a meatloaf pinhole camera?

Lee

Jeff Bannow
10-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Which reminds me... should we start discussing what to do about Saturday evening dinner now? :D

Anyone up for a meatloaf pinhole camera?

Lee

My vote is for Country Maid - one of the cones should make a nice pinhole after I empty it out.

jp80874
10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
None of the restaurants we went to last time have specifically called and said, “do not under any circumstance bring that horde of roughians back here again”. But then, I only made reservations using my last name and without a phone number. This may not be conclusive, but those options seem to exist.

Once we finally made up our minds, two hours, I did enjoy having you all here at the table with pizza to talk. It was a little close, but not as many are coming this time. The conversation was great and could be heard by all, unlike some of the restaurants. I would only suggest we add a salad to the pizzas or at least a veggie pizza. What say ye?

John

Jeff Bannow
10-16-2008, 03:13 PM
None of the restaurants we went to last time have specifically called and said, “do not under any circumstance bring that horde of roughians back here again”. But then, I only made reservations using my last name and without a phone number. This may not be conclusive, but those options seem to exist.

Once we finally made up our minds, two hours, I did enjoy having you all here at the table with pizza to talk. It was a little close, but not as many are coming this time. The conversation was great and could be heard by all, unlike some of the restaurants. I would only suggest we add a salad to the pizzas or at least a veggie pizza. What say ye?

John

Well, pizza is no ice cream, but I suppose this would do.

But what is this veggie thing you are talking about? :)

ic-racer
10-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I had been admiring Ray Mortenson's book "Meadowlands" and thought that Cleveland had a little wasteland just like New Jersey. Today I made a trek north up the canal to the steelyard. Looks like there have been a lot of changes in the last year or so. Not only have the steelyards been somewhat domesticated by the presence of a shopping mall (aptly called "Steeyard") there also is comfortable parking and a paved general purpose path between the shopping center and the real steelyard. There were signs posted indicating they were working on running the Cuyahoga Valley train to a stop at the steelyard shopping center. It will probably take me a lifetime to fully explore that area.

Lee L
10-16-2008, 03:55 PM

We'll call Country Maid and have them make up a special broccoli and cauliflower ice cream pizza to go with the Hawaiian.

Vegetables are often used to grow meat.

Lee

jp80874
10-16-2008, 03:56 PM

It is insidious. First we start with a carrot, a cucumber, maybe even a tomato. Then we start walking, maybe a quarter mile at first. Then you get Labradors, maybe Greyhounds. The girls and I do 10-12 miles a week. Pretty soon you can have ice cream without it killing you.

jp80874
10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I had been admiring Ray Mortenson's book "Meadowlands" and thought that Cleveland had a little wasteland just like New Jersey. Today I made a trek north up the canal to the steelyard. Looks like there have been a lot of changes in the last year or so. Not only have the steelyards been somewhat domesticated by the presence of a shopping mall (aptly called "Steeyard") there also is comfortable parking and a paved general purpose path between the shopping center and the real steelyard. There were signs posted indicating they were working on running the Cuyahoga Valley train to a stop at the steelyard shopping center. It will probably take me a lifetime to fully explore that area.

Is this connected to the Canal Towpath? That runs up to Harvard Denison now and will be going north from there soon. I have been shooting there in Cuyahoga Heights for the show. If this is not what your talking about, let me know. I volunteer to join you. In that area it feels really good to have another set of eyes, to take turns under the dark cloth, watch each other’s back.

John

Jeff Bannow
10-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Vegetables are often used to grow meat.

Lee

Ahhh .... now I understand ...

Lee L
10-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Jeff,

If we finish off all the ice cream at Country Maid, I'll try to work up a demo on how to track, kill, and field dress a mousse. The chocolate ones are my favorite.

Lee

jp80874
10-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Looking about this Friday morning I would say this weekend is going to be it. The leaves are starting to drop from the big maple west of the house. In the body of the tree they are still abundantly there, but at the top it is rather sparse. I am familiar with that concept.

Dorothy and Bethe, I do not know if you are planning to come. Both have expressed doubt for different reasons. Let me know if I should be here to expect you at any particular time.

Do I understand that all others are coming Saturday rather than today Friday? I just don’t want you to show up wondering where I am.

John

jp80874
10-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Since we have some arriving early Saturday and others arriving late, let me suggest that we have a 9 AM meeting of those here to plan our adventure. Lee suggested we meet again at Fishers restaurant in Peninsula at 1 PM. Those that want to arrive early can have lunch together. My guess is the restaurant will be packed with leaf lookers, so be early for lunch.

In the afternoon if you want I can lead you around the Peninsula area mentioned earlier (swamp, river, gorge, locks, etc.). Later maybe 4-5 PM, I would like to take you to Sylvan pond, the reflective, usually windless pond, surrounded with leafy trees. It was spectacular a week ago. It has to be better Saturday. It is a half mile walk in though for those who find that a problem.

That will mean we will be late for the 5 PM gathering at our house. If we are all together we can pick up pizza and salad on the way home. I don’t believe that you can get to Country Maid from there. The road is under destruction.

winger
10-17-2008, 08:55 AM
As much as I want to be there, I'm not going to make it. We're leaving early Sunday for Costa Rica. I guess this fall is mostly a bust for me since I seem to be leaving during peak for most places. Oh well. I hope you guys have blast and get some great shots! I still have to get back over there sometime - does Country Maid stay open in the winter?

Jeff Bannow
10-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I don’t believe that you can get to Country Maid from there. The road is under destruction.

I don't mind walking if necessary - one has to make sacrifices.

Nicholas Lindan
10-17-2008, 09:35 AM
We're leaving early Sunday for Costa Rica.

I think that may prove more photographically interesting than Ohio ...

jp80874
10-17-2008, 10:05 AM
As much as I want to be there, I'm not going to make it. We're leaving early Sunday for Costa Rica. I guess this fall is mostly a bust for me since I seem to be leaving during peak for most places. Oh well. I hope you guys have blast and get some great shots! I still have to get back over there sometime - does Country Maid stay open in the winter?

Have a wonderful time. We will miss you. The welcome mat is always out here, but I can't say the same for Country Maid. They close up when business tapers off. They may have a sign in the window saying they are open to some hour, but the door is locked and Jeff's tongue is hanging out.

John

jp80874
10-17-2008, 10:11 AM
The girls and I hiked to Sylvan pond and much further this AM. Even to my eyes the trees were amazing, reds, yellows, greens and bare. Even on a gray day the pond reflections were full of color and I only see 15% of it. Savannah, the eleven year old, disapperaed on the trail, which is unusual. While I was looking around where she had dropped her log, a hiker came along, asked if I was missing another one like Cindy? Savannah knew exactly where we were in the woods and had gone on to the pond. She was swimming and having a ball while I was looking for her body slumped over a bush in the woods a quarter mile a way. when I got there she was doing the back stroke, legs in the air, stick in the mouth. Who needs John to throw a stick? That's my girls.

winger
10-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Throw a few extra sticks for the girls for me! Savannah is soo funny and smart. I'll think of you while I'm sipping something with a little umbrella in it.

Shawn Dougherty
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Doesn't look like I'm going to make it.... Dad is doing fine and there are no health issues in the way, BUT, he said he would like to go for a drive to look at the fall leaves in the northern part of PA where he used to stomp around. He's 86 and very hard to say no too! Sorry to miss you all.

John Powers and Jeff Bannow,
Jeff and I are exchanging prints. Is it ok if Jeff leaves his print with you? I'll be over that way for sure in the next month so I could pick it up and save Jeff the shipping... Let us know if you're ok with that, John? I work at a place that ships various prints 6 days a week so it's not problem for me to get you mine, Jeff.

Again, sorry to miss everyone. Have fun. All the best. Shawn