PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

jp80874
07-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I can hardly wait! I got a Delorme Ohio Gazateer with the parks mapped out so I know where I'm going ... and a Cuyahoga map and splurged and got a GPS (handheld). (I get lost easy). I'm really looking forward to this! I haven't been camping in years!

Dorothy,

Don't hold back like this. There are no points for restraint. We want enthusiasm.

We will start leaving bread crumbs out so you can find your way back at night.

What Cuyahoga map did you get? I plan to give each attendee the 16.5 inch x 22.5 inch map the National Park Service gives out. If that is not what you have I can send one of these over just to stir up more interest. It is called a Guide to Cuyahoga Valley. Let me know. I can send it to the address you sent.

John

djkloss
07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Dorothy,

Don't hold back like this. There are no points for restraint. We want enthusiasm.

We will start leaving bread crumbs out so you can find your way back at night.

What Cuyahoga map did you get? I plan to give each attendee the 16.5 inch x 22.5 inch map the National Park Service gives out. If that is not what you have I can send one of these over just to stir up more interest. It is called a Guide to Cuyahoga Valley. Let me know. I can send it to the address you sent.

John

Just leave the safe light on and I'll be fine ;) My local photo store just informed me they won't be getting any 120 film anymore. The distributors say there isn't enough call for it. Maybe not in Erie, but I know differently. And an event like this proves it. Maybe someone needs to do a video for youtube?

I got the Rand McNally 'Streets of Cleveland & Cuyahoga County". A park map would be great. I may even talk some people into coming to the park sooner just to check it out. Is the map like the one I have for the Allegheny NF? (Put out by the NF map people.) They are great!

Thanks again,

Dorothy :)

jp80874
07-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Just leave the safe light on and I'll be fine ;) A park map would be great. Dorothy :)

A park map will be in the mail.

John

djkloss
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
A park map will be in the mail.

John

Got it today, thanks!

ic-racer
07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
What's in the new avatar???

jp80874
07-19-2008, 01:37 PM
What's in the new avatar???

The Avatar is a picture Mark O'Brien mfophotos took at Photostock 2008.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mfobrien/2008Photostock

I asked if I could use it as my Avatar. He said “John, be my guest! It was a pleasure meeting you and seeing your work! Mark “

He caught me in the process of setting up the RH Phillips 7x17 Explorer I have been using to shoot the locks of the Ohio & Erie Canal. The camera is wearing a 250mm wide field Ektar with its metal lens caps still attached. The Phillips is resting on a Ries A 250 Double Tilt head on top of a 1950s military contract Ries tripod.

If visitors want we can have a hardware show and tell at the gathering.

John

jgjbowen
08-04-2008, 08:35 PM
John,

This sounds like fun. I hope to be able to attend a future gathering, but this year is out for me.

jp80874
08-05-2008, 06:13 AM
John,

A tennis ball or two will be thrown and retrieved by a pair of yellow Labradors in your honor.

John

jp80874
08-18-2008, 03:15 PM
One month to the gathering.

The event is open to all film shooters, come one, come all, Minox through ULF. The dates are Wednesday morning September 17 - Sun 21st. Read through the thread at your convenience for specific details. Camping is available in our yard. There is also a post with 7 or 8 motels listed. Make your own reservation. The motels are all only 6-7 miles from here.

A tentative schedule is only a suggestion. My hope is that people will do what they want and enjoy each other as I did at our role model, Bill Schwab’s Photostock 2008. I look forward to seeing people’s work. For me that was one of the most enjoyable parts of Bill’s event. Please bring prints to show.

My suggestion following Bill’s plan is to meet each morning around 9 AM to decide what we want to do, or give direction to those that want to head out on their own. Each afternoon other than Thursday we can meet back at the house, look at prints and gather for one of the local restaurants. Conversation can continue around the camp fire after that until the last person falls down. That may be a good lead in to bring your own chair.

The tentative schedule is: Wednesday, I will show who ever is here the things in the neighborhood that I enjoy. These include a covered bridge, a restoration 1830s village and Hale Farm, a Heron rockery, a large beaver built pond full of game and pond plants, several 1830s canal locks in various states of restoration or decay, cliffs with trees hanging on by their long extended roots, and the Seiberling Nature Realm with beautiful and unusual plantings. If time allows we can also stop at the Country Maid ice cream store for purely photographic interests.

Thursday we can start the day in the area then work into Akron where Cascade Park has four 100+ foot locks in a mile, an 1830’s canal general store, the new Akron Art museum with very interesting architecture (see links within the thread), the declining tire industry with old and abandoned factories. Dinner will be at the Greek Festival with wonderful food and atmosphere.

Friday we can go into Cleveland. In the flats of the Cuyahoga River it is said that you can’t take a picture with less than three bridges. Five bridges of all periods and types of architecture in one picture is much more common. Near there is the IM Pei Rock and Roll Hall of fame. From there we can go out to University Circle by Little Italy for food, to The Frank Gehry designed School of Business Administration, the brand new Cleveland Institute of Music and the Cleveland Botanical Gardens. Look within the thread for reviews and links to these.

By Saturday you may already have found favorites to shoot and explore some more. I can give pointers. Each person will have a map of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I encourage you to look at their website before you come to see what interests you. I can help you get to those places.

Jeff mentioned building a darkroom and I offered mine as one person’s ideas. It is also there for anyone who has a camera emergency or needs to load film holders. For those that like dogs in flight we have two yellow Labradors that are addicted to flying tennis balls. For those with a sports car interest there is a white 1955 Porsche Speedster. It is said that there are no straight lines on this car, only curves.

Come and enjoy. All questions welcome.

John Powers

Jeff Bannow
08-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Sounds great John. Can't wait to get there, and I'm looking forward to the darkroom tour.

jp80874
08-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Sounds great John. Can't wait to get there, and I'm looking forward to the darkroom tour.

I am sorry. I thought it was the Country Maid ice cream store you wanted to see. Both are available daily.

In a couple of weeks I plan to ask all who have indicated an interest to confirm if they are coming. My wife tells me we have plans to make. You know how that goes.

Thanks for the interest.

John

Jeff Bannow
08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I am sorry. I thought it was the Country Maid ice cream store you wanted to see. Both are available daily.

So you're saying you don't keep ice cream in your darkroom?

jp80874
08-18-2008, 07:43 PM
So you're saying you don't keep ice cream in your darkroom?

Why should I? There is a 20 cu ft film freezer in the next room.

John

ts103706@ohio.edu
08-18-2008, 09:24 PM
I just had country maid tonight.

Jeff Bannow
08-18-2008, 09:26 PM
I just had country maid tonight.

Okay, now you all are just teasing me. :)

winger
08-18-2008, 10:07 PM
I still hope to make it. I'm job searching, so if I get hired by then, I may not make it (or just Sat and Sun). It also depends on my neighbor being able to watch the dogs (my SO will be away, too). Cross your fingers for me!

jp80874
08-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Okay, now you all are just teasing me. :)

Jeff,
How can you tell? Tim is even selling his camera on eBay and felt comfortable chimming in. You are a marked man.

John

jp80874
08-19-2008, 07:58 AM
I still hope to make it. I'm job searching, so if I get hired by then, I may not make it (or just Sat and Sun). It also depends on my neighbor being able to watch the dogs (my SO will be away, too). Cross your fingers for me!

Bethe,

Crossing fingers and toes. Ooohh that is going to be uncomfortable for a month. Good luck on all the variables.

John

jp80874
08-19-2008, 08:02 AM
For those of you who are thinking of coming but have not sent the questionaire to me by PM, here it is again.

Questionnaire:
Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Event dates: September, Wednesday 17th - Sunday 21st

Thank you for your interest in our APUG Ohio Fall 2008 Gathering. Please take a moment to give some information about yourself so Dolly and I have a better understanding of who will be our guests and how we can make it a great time. We promise not to use this information for any other purpose.

Name (s) coming

Home address

Telephone number

Email where we can send updates

Cell phone if you will have it with you so we can contact each other during the event.

Will you be camping on our property? We will have to rent a porta potty and split the costs or there is the woods.

A list of motels has been posted.

Which nights do you think you will be here?

Of the photographic interests described what are your priorities so we can plan outings?

We will have a show and tell of any work you wish to bring

Is there a workshop or presentation you would like to offer?

Emergency contact we hope not to need?

Your Questions?

Thanks for giving us your thoughts. We are looking forward to your visit.

John & Dolly Powers

ts103706@ohio.edu
08-20-2008, 10:23 PM
John, I might be getting another medium format. I am working out a certain issue with my ebay auction, but if all goes as it should, I will have enough money after selling my Rolleiflex to afford an RB 67 kit being sold for $235.00 on craigslist. I am hoping for the best.