PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

jp80874
08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
John, I might be getting another medium format. I am working out a certain issue with my ebay auction, but if all goes as it should, I will have enough money after selling my Rolleiflex to afford an RB 67 kit being sold for $235.00 on craigslist. I am hoping for the best.

"Where there is a will there is a way", comes to mind. Good for you. Whether that has worked or not by our event time, please know that you welcome to attend. Remember that when you are taking photo courses at U Akron they have 15 Cambo 4x5s, a Fuji 6x7 Range Finder and a Fuji 6x9 Range Finder to lend to registered students.

John

jp80874
08-21-2008, 07:52 AM
This should make our darkroom conversations a lot more interesting. Nicholas Lindan owner of DARKROOM AUTOMATION, f-Stop timers - Enlarging Meters,
http://www.darkroomautomation.com will be attending and has offered to show us some of his systems either outside if we have a crowd or in the dark of my darkroom if only a few people. Thank you Nicholas. I am looking forward to talking with you and having you join in our fun. I believe ic-racer has a thread going right now that partially includes compensating darkroom timers. He plans to attend as well.

Looking forward to seeing you all. I hope you will all bring work to show and tell. For me that and simply talking to other photographers is the best part of this sort of event. This is especially true as we do not have anything to compete with the BIG CHICKEN across the street from the motel in down town Levering, Michigan.

John Powers

ic-racer
08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I just ordered some more film for the 8x10 Century I restored and plan on bringing that camera. Glad to hear Nicolas is going to be there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/cameraandbellows.jpg

jp80874
08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=ic-racer;670118]I just ordered some more film for the 8x10 Century I restored and plan on bringing that camera. Glad to hear Nicolas is going to be there.

That is beautiful!! Peter Spangenberg may also show his two Deardorffs 8x10 and 57-45 if we nudge him a bit. Both have been restored in the last year or so and are gorgeous. My two flat black cameras are looking just a little, well flat black.

If any of the others coming have something lovely to show, please bring it. I have only been talking about prints, but cameras, lenses and gear are beautiful as well. I hope it is not just a guy thing.

My hope is that Eva will bring her model, Jeff, but there we stray from the gorgeous, IMHO. We will restore Jeff at the Country Maid.

John

Jeff Bannow
08-21-2008, 11:11 AM
That is beautiful!! Peter Spangenberg may also show his two Deardorffs 8x10 and 57-45 if we nudge him a bit. Both have been restored in the last year or so and are gorgeous. My two flat black cameras are looking just a little, well flat black.

If any of the others coming have something lovely to show, please bring it. I have only been talking about prints, but cameras, lenses and gear are beautiful as well. I hope it is not just a guy thing.

John

That is a nice looking camera. I will be bringing my new Chamonix 4x5 with me in case anyone wants to take a look. Assuming 4x5 isn't too small of a format to show. :)

jp80874
08-21-2008, 07:41 PM
John, I might be getting another medium format. I am working out a certain issue with my ebay auction, but if all goes as it should, I will have enough money after selling my Rolleiflex to afford an RB 67 kit being sold for $235.00 on craigslist. I am hoping for the best.

Tim,

If you are not familiar with the RB 67, Jeff and Eva both shoot RZ 67s and can help. I also have an RZ 67, but have not shot it much since I went LF. The manual is there though and I recently did shoot one roll inspired by their efforts in MI. I am sure we four can figure most start up problems.

John

jp80874
08-21-2008, 07:43 PM
That is a nice looking camera. I will be bringing my new Chamonix 4x5 with me in case anyone wants to take a look. Assuming 4x5 isn't too small of a format to show. :)

Congratulations. I have heard great things about it. Please bring the Chamonix.

John

Jeff Bannow
08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Tim,

If you are not familiar with the RB 67, Jeff and Eva both shoot RZ 67s and can help. I also have an RZ 67, but have not shot it much since I went LF. The manual is there though and I recently did shoot one roll inspired by their efforts in MI. I am sure we four can figure most start up problems.

John

Sure enough - we shoot quite a bit with our Mamiya and could help out.

- Jeff

bill schwab
08-21-2008, 08:55 PM
...the 8x10 Century I restored...
Beautiful!

dlin
08-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi John,

I hope I can make it for at least a couple days. Looking forward to seeing you again and meeting more people.

All the best,
Daniel

jp80874
08-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Beautiful!

Bill,

I read your post to Les today, "I've been going through fellow photographer withdraw after the Photostock gig this year and need a fix of like minded photo folks. " I was just telling Danielle in a PM that I have missed that wonderful simpatico time of like but different minds talking, sharing, the same and different visions, the love of photography. Hope you both can come here. I would love to hear how and what you think about the local sites and sights that have driven me.

John

bill schwab
08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Hope you both can come here. I would love to hear how and what you think about the local sites and sights that have driven me.John, I'd love to see them. I've been quiet on the thread cause I still am hoping in some way to come, but still can't say for certain. I've been away a lot of the summer and the Ottawa Valley run will take a couple weeks as well. If there's any way I can get this past the powers that be, I'll be on the road in your direction. Best case might be just the weekend. I'll see. I'm also torn on the North Shore run the week prior to your gig. So much to do, so little time! Hell, I've already put a ton of miles on the little Jeep this year, what's a few more!

It really sounds like you've got something going here John and I am happy to see it is coming together so well. It sounds as if it will be a really wonderful time for all involved. It would be cool to hang with Jeff and Eva again as well!

jp80874
08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=billschwab;670422] of the summer and the Ottawa Valley run will take a couple weeks as well. If there's any way I can get this past the powers that be, I'll be on the road in your direction. QUOTE]

Ms. Dolly, the Powers that be, says you all come to her party! The dogs and I can come also.

John

Shawn Dougherty
08-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Sure hope you make it, Bill. I'd like to meet you and see your prints in person. I'm going to be there for the weekend for sure and we'll see about the week, depends on work.... Thanks again for putting this together. Shawn

jp80874
08-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Sure hope you make it, Bill. I'd like to meet you and see your prints in person. I'm going to be there for the weekend for sure and we'll see about the week, depends on work.... Thanks again for putting this together. Shawn

Shawn,

Glad to see you are coming for the weekend at least and maybe more.

Additionally I have received PMs since my last post confirming that the following will be coming:

Bob Curtis
Paul Armstrong
Robert Triffin

It is beginning to look like a party.

John Powers

Shawn Dougherty
08-28-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm looking forward to it, John. Thanks again for doing this. All the best. Shawn

jp80874
09-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Today I sent the following PM to everyone who has indicated an interest in this event. If I missed you, or if you have been lurking quietly and would like to come, please send me a PM.

The event dates are:
Wednesday, September 17th through Sunday, September 21st, 2008

John

Just two weeks before the Northern Ohio, Fall 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, APUG Gathering. Dolly and I hope you all can come but we know that isn’t possible. We need to get a little organized, plan a few things and make sure we have enough stuff for the event. We would appreciate an RSVP or confirmation that you are coming even though we may have heard from you recently. Please send me a PM.

Let us know who is coming.
What days you will be here?
Approximately when we should be here to welcome you?
Will you be camping with us?

I will send directions how to find us and answer any questions this request generates.

Thank you. We are looking forward to seeing you, your work at show and tell and talking photography with friends new and old. We hope you like what we have planned. None of the plans are cut in stone, so all suggestions will be heard.

John & Dolly Powers

PS: ic-racer your PM box is still blocked.

ic-racer
09-02-2008, 10:34 PM
PS: ic-racer your PM box is still blocked.

Thanks, I inadvertently had the "Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators" box checked. Should be OK now.

Peter Spangenberg
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Greetings-
For a couple of years, John and I have had the opportunity to enjoy the bounty associated with the demise of the analog print industry in Cleveland. All sorts of interesting "tools" have become available, but I wanted those attending this event to know that I will be bringing a couple of boxes of barrel process lenses that I have salvaged from copy cameras. I will happily make the lenses available for what I paid, which was usually $20 each- I just couldn't bear to see them discarded. Lenses range in focal length from 105mm to about 480mm and coverage varies widely, but I have used many quite successfully on my 8x10. Several I am sure will cover 11x14 and 7x17, and all cover at least 4x5.

For large format and ULF users, I wanted to get this note out there in case you have some sort of a lensboard for your camera that can be rigged up to try them out.

If you can get some use out of them, great. If not, that's fine too. Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions regarding the "glass" and I will be happy to respond.

Looking forward to my first APUG gathering-
Peter

BTW-These make pretty good enlarging lenses as well.

jp80874
09-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Peter,

Thanks.
The first day of the event is tomorrow afternoon.
Bring those lenses over for a look see.

John

Peter has also agreed to join us for our Cleveland tour. His specialty is corn beef sandwiches on 17th Street. But wait, just east of the best corned beef in Cleveland is about a square mile of Asian grocery stores and restaurants. I hope Daniel will be with us to lead us astray. Further east is Little Italy. Never let a fat guy, me, lead a photographic tour through the restaurants of Cleveland, I mean the architecture of Cleveland.

JP