PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

jp80874
09-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Lee,

Thank you so much for doing this. It should be very helpful.

John

Lee L
09-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Lee,

Thank you so much for doing this. It should be very helpful.

John

Glad to be able to help in some small way John. Small potatoes compared to your efforts.

Thanks for putting this all together.

Lee

bill schwab
09-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Great job on the map Lee!

Looks like I'm going to try to make it down on Friday afternoon. I still have one thing to clear-up, but I think it is a go. I'll be bringing along my trailer rig and hope to do a portrait set-up where I can steal a few of your souls. Assuming that Joe will be driving the Magic Bus as well, so I'm hoping folks don't mind a little ether fumes. :)

John, will there be somewhere I can park the trailer? I'm going to book myself into a local hotel, so It won't be there around the clock.

Lee L
09-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks Bill. Google makes it easy.

Glad you can make it. Looking forward to meeting you and the other attendees.

Lee

djkloss
09-13-2008, 04:42 PM
the map is awesome! Thanks!

jp80874
09-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Great job on the map Lee!

Looks like I'm going to try to make it down on Friday afternoon. ..............

John, will there be somewhere I can park the trailer? I'm going to book myself into a local hotel, so It won't be there around the clock.

Welcome Bill! Glad to read that you are coming. We have had several inches of rain all of a sudden so I think we will park both your trailer and the Magic Bus on hard gravel by the house. That way they won’t sink into soft ground.

John

jp80874
09-14-2008, 11:34 AM
gr82bart - Art Liem sent me a PM saying he will join us. Welcome Art.

If anyone else is reading this in the wings and would like to join us, please send a PM and I will return directions and general information. Please include your personal information in the following survey.

John

Thank you for your interest in our APUG Ohio Fall 2008 Gathering. Please take a moment to give some information about yourself so Dolly and I have a better understanding of who will be our guests and how we can make it a great time. We promise not to use this information for any other purpose.

Name (s) coming

Home address

Telephone number

Email where we can send updates

Cell phone if you will have it with you so we can contact each other during the event.

Will you be camping on our property?

Which nights do you think you will be here?

Of the photographic interests described what are your priorities so we can plan outings?

We will have a show and tell of any work you wish to bring

Is there a workshop or presentation you would like to offer?

Emergency contact we hope not to need?

Your Questions?

We have rented a porta potty for $110.00 and hope you will contribute to help cover the costs.

Thanks for giving us your thoughts. We are looking forward to your visit.

John

jp80874
09-15-2008, 10:00 AM
While you will be here, the Akron Art Museum will be having the following Photo/ History related exhibit.

John Heartfield vs. Nazi Germany
August 30, 2008 - November 30, 2008

Fred and Laura Ruth Bidwell Gallery

“Use photography as a weapon.” This was John Heartfield’s battle cry in his struggle to prevent the Nazis from gaining power in Germany in the 1930s. Unlike many socially conscious photographers of the era who produced documentary work, Heartfield created photomontages. They are composite images made by cutting and joining parts from several photographs (ones he took, commissioned or found), then re-photographed to form a single seamless image.

Heartfield’s photomontages were satirical commentaries that attacked fascism and the Nazi regime. They quickly gained an international audience when the artist was hired by AIZ (Arbeiter-Illustrierte Zeitung or Workers’ Illustrated Paper), one of a plethora of illustrated tabloids in Germany in the late 1920s and 1930s. Heartfield regarded the printed magazine page, which was a photogravure, as his finished work of art.

This exhibition presents over 40 of Heartfield’s photogravures from AIZ along with issues of the magazine, which provide the original context for the artworks. All these objects come from the collection of the Akron Art Museum, which is one of only three art museums in the United States to possess substantial holdings of Heartfield’s art.

Although the Heartfields were acquired by the museum between 1979 and 1981, this is the first time all have been on view together. Most were too fragile to be handled, let alone displayed, due to the age and quality of the paper. Thanks to a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services and additional funding from The Mary and Louis S. Myers Foundation, we were able to have all of the works treated in 2005-2006 at Cleveland’s Intermuseum Conservation Association.

The bite of Heartfield’s images remains sharp. While the countries, names and faces may have changed, many of the abuses of power lampooned in his images still occur around the world today.

Akron Art Museum
www.akronartmuseum.org

1 S High St
Akron, OH 44308
(330) 376-9185

Lee L
09-15-2008, 10:09 AM
While you will be here, the Akron Art Museum will be having the following Photo/ History related exhibit.

John Heartfield vs. Nazi Germany
August 30, 2008 - November 30, 2008

Here's the first of Heartfield's images that I saw, and which always comes to mind when he's mentioned.

http://cybermuse.gallery.ca/cybermuse/search/artwork_zoom_e.jsp?mkey=22573

Lee

gr82bart
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
gr82bart - Art Liem sent me a PM saying he will join us.The Work GAWD giveth on Friday, the Work GAWD taketh away on Monday. Got to go to a client in Richmond, VA and will stay there for the weekend instead.

ARGH! Sorry for the false alarm.

Regards, Art.

winger
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
The Work GAWD giveth on Friday, the Work GAWD taketh away on Monday. Got to go to a client in Richmond, VA and will stay there for the weekend instead.

ARGH! Sorry for the false alarm.

Regards, Art.
:(

jp80874
09-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Weather.com says:

Wed Sep 17 Sunny 74 55 10% precip

Thu Sep 18 Sunny 69 48 20% precip

Fri Sep 19 Sunny 72 51 20% precip

Sat Sep 20 Partly Cloudy 75 53 20% precip

Sun Sep 21 Mostly Sunny 75 51 20% precip

Other than the mornings being a little cool, I don’t think we could ask for a better week ahead.

We had gusts of 65 mph over the weekend and inches of rain. An old dead tree fell across the path to the camping and fire area. I will be out with a chain saw this morning opening up the path, but that will be added firewood. I may have to take some time out of Wednesday’s event to mow grass. It is growing so fast you won't be able to see out of your tents if I do not cut.

Looking forward to your arrival.

John

Lee L
09-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Here's an NWS weather page I like to use. It has hourly graphs for temp, dewpoint, wind, relative humidity, sky cover, and precipitation predictions. You can go forward and back on a graph that shows two days at a time, up to 6 days into the future. This link is centered on Richfield, near John's house.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=CLE&llon=-81.847083&rlon=-81.209583&tlat=41.447917&blat=40.807917&smap=1&marine=1&mp=0&map.x=83&map.y=82&FcstType=graphical

Thought it might be useful if for looking for the right conditions for a given subject. Can't believe that the weather is looking so good for the event.

Lee

bill schwab
09-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Well it looks like I'll be able to cut out of here at around 4:00 on Friday with hopes of arriving before too late. I'll be checking into a hotel, so no need to save a camp spot for me. Assuming there will be a fire on Friday night? I'll check into my room and park the trailer before coming over to see what's up.

If someone could get a message to Robert (Flauvius), let him know I didn't get his PM until today and I am sorry I didn't respond before he left.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

jp80874
09-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Bill,
Assuming we are back from dinner when you arrive, we should either be at the house looking at prints or by the fire. I sent directions earlier. Robert Triffin will be here about 9 AM today, Wednesday. I'll tell him. Looking forward to seeing you and al the new work we have been reading about.

John

winger
09-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Assuming my neighbor can watch my dogs (no, you don't want me to bring all 4 of them with me), I'll be over there Thurs afternoon sometime. I don't know if I want to go into Cleveland on Fri, so is anyone else interested in shooting in the park areas then? Though I might be convinced to go to the big city (I'm hoping to shoot some 4x5 and am not sure about keeping up and hauling the stuff).

jp80874
09-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Bethe,

On Friday we will meet at our house 9 AM, as every morning this event. I would suggest doing a head count then of who is shooting what and where. Peter Spangenberg is going to take one car load of people to Cleveland. He shoots 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. Dorothy said she would be over today. She plans to bring a 4x5 and I think MF. Bill Mitchell will be joining us downtown. He shoots 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14. Eva & Jeff shoot MF and 4x5. Robert Triffin is bringing 4x5 and 8x10. We may go so slowly that we spend the day at our first stop, and that is a good day. We will probably have more than one car, so people can divide up according to how fast they work. The intent is to be relaxed and enjoy. On the other hand there may be a group that wants to go to the park. See you then.

John

Shawn Dougherty
09-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Crazy at work and my power has been out since Sunday evening..... I can't wait to get through the rest of this week and join everyone on Friday night!!!

I'll be bringing my 8x10 and MF camera, I travel light all things considered. I've got room for one more in my car. Mayhaps that information will help in some of the planning for the weekend shoots. Shawn

(A small car with all manual windows and such, no air conditioning or other bells and whistles. I like my cars like my cameras.)

jp80874
09-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Lee Lumpkin and Robert Triffin have just left to go shoot our local covered bridge. The interesting thing about it is that the inside is painted white so all beams are easily exposed and the inside to outside light ratio is not as extreme as most covered bridges whose insides are covered with creosote.

Bill, We told Robert what you asked.

Local Bob Curtis is joining us tomorrow. Dorothy is expected from Erie later today.

John

bill schwab
09-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Bill, We told Robert what you asked.Thanks guys. Hope everyone is having fun so far.

As for the park, I am definitely interested although I won't be able to make the Friday expedition. Saturday for sure.