PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

DeBone 75
09-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I will be there about 9:00 am Sat. So, did anybody bring things to trade. If so I've got some things to bring.

jp80874
09-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Assuming my neighbor can watch my dogs (no, you don't want me to bring all 4 of them with me), I'll be over there Thurs afternoon sometime. I don't know if I want to go into Cleveland on Fri, so is anyone else interested in shooting in the park areas then? Though I might be convinced to go to the big city (I'm hoping to shoot some 4x5 and am not sure about keeping up and hauling the stuff).

Bethe,

Robert and Lee discovered today that the road to Blue Hen Falls is closed at both ends for resufacing. You can still get to Brandywine Falls, but not Blue Hen.

John

winger
09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Bethe,

Robert and Lee discovered today that the road to Blue Hen Falls is closed at both ends for resufacing. You can still get to Brandywine Falls, but not Blue Hen.

John
Good to know. I have a lot of shots of Blue Hen from May, so I'll survive I suppose. And, yes, the neighbor can watch my dogs, so I plan to be there sometime tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to stay in a hotel, but I haven't made reservations, yet (hopefully that won't be a problem - I'm calling in a minute). I can't wait!

Lee L
09-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Actually, Robert and I discovered the eastern closure of the road to Blue Hen Falls. John later helped us discover the closure at the west end, so we could forewarn folks, and then helped us console ourselves with a stop at nearby Country Maid Ice Cream, where we also discussed mathematical formulae. Blackberry ice cream helps cleanse the palate of the aftertaste from breathing fresh asphalt fumes, and helps you not to care overly much about math.

Bethe, I may shoot in the park area Friday, not sure yet. I expect that you'll find company to stay in that area if that's what you'd prefer.

Looking forward to meeting all the future arrivals.

Lee

jp80874
09-18-2008, 06:28 AM
I had the peach ice cream. Did we discuss math? Those fresh pears in the orchard store looked very good. Eva, please restrain Jeff.

At dinner Dorothy and Robert were saying they had seen so much they liked in the park in one day that they might skip the trip to Akron today and continue to discover in the Park. We will see what prevails at the 9 AM meeting. I just hate it when a plan goes wrong like this.

John

Shawn Dougherty
09-18-2008, 07:18 AM
I just hate it when a plan goes wrong like this.

John

=)

jp80874
09-18-2008, 07:55 AM
=)

I never thought I would say this to someone, but Shawn, we were out scouting pond scum yesterday, and we found some beauties in the swamps of the stagnant Oh & Erie Canal.

:D:confused::rolleyes::p
John

Shawn Dougherty
09-18-2008, 08:08 AM
I never thought I would say this to someone, but Shawn, we were out scouting pond scum yesterday, and we found some beauties in the swamps of the stagnant Oh & Erie Canal.

:D:confused::rolleyes::p
John

=) Thanks, John. I can't wait! I'll be bringing the "first draft" of the final 25 images from Project Pond Scum. These are printed on Kentona and mounted on 8x10 board. The next, "final draft" will be printed on my pending box of Lodima silver chloride and mounted on 11x14. Thanks again for the scouting report! :) Shawn

winger
09-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Will people be meeting up at any general time this afternoon? I'll be driving over as soon as I get packed up. I might just head for Brandywine or the Ledges after I get checked in.

billschwab
09-18-2008, 08:24 AM
What hotels are people checked into?

winger
09-18-2008, 08:39 AM

I have a reservation at the Hampton Inn in Richfield (right off rt 80). There's also a Quality Inn in that area. It's quite close to the park and John's house.

jp80874
09-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Bethe,

The consensus is that the group want to stay here exploring further in the Park today. Brandywine Falls will have the light in the afternoon. We will be meeting back at our house around 5 PM. You are more than welcome to join us in photo conversation there and out to dinner if you like.

Here this AM:
Eva & Jeff Bannow
Dorothy Kloss
Bob Curtis
Dale Marsh
Robert Triffin
Lee Lumpkin

John

jp80874
09-18-2008, 08:56 AM

Robert Triffin is at the Ohio Motel, a very plain Jane, but about 1.5 miles away and very cheap, $140 for seven days, $40 a single day. I thought it was a dump, but he likes it. He says they have also offered cheap showers for any campers.

Bethe,
Sorry, your post wasn't up when I started mine above. If you see a bunch of confused people with tripods at Brandywine, hide or introduce yourself as you see fit.

John

smieglitz
09-18-2008, 02:22 PM
...He says they have also offered cheap showers for any campers...

Can we get a group rate on this?

Joe

Shawn Dougherty
09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
He says they have also offered cheap showers for any campers.

John

Yes, can you have Robert get a price? I'm sure I'll pay whatever it is as I've just gone through 4 days without power (back today... wheeewwww). Thanks john!

jp80874
09-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Robert Triffin is at the Ohio Motel, a very plain Jane, but about 1.5 miles away and very cheap, $140 for seven days, $40 a single day. I thought it was a dump, but he likes it. He says they have also offered cheap showers for any campers.
John

Sorry, I left out the phone # 330-659-9999
The manager said to call about showers, so I suggest those interested call when you get here.

John

Jeff Bannow
09-19-2008, 07:45 AM
John has been a great host - very gracious and patient. Hope to see some more of you up here tonight.

(Writing from Arabica, about 1 mile from John's place.)

Shawn Dougherty
09-19-2008, 08:05 AM
My departure time from work is still up in the air, it won't be later than 5 though so I should see everyone around 6 at the latest. Shawn

Lee L
09-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Updated the map a bit just now, showing Jeff and Eva's location as of 8:45 Friday morning, an Arabica coffee shop with wireless access.

Also added parking spots for Brandywine Falls and the Beaver Pond, which is marked as Ira Trailhead on the park signs. Head north from Ira Trailhead parking on the towpath trail to find a flooded lock with lots of duckweed, a not very shy great blue heron, and the beaver pond.

Will be joining the group later today.

Lee

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=117254268586434279643.000456c8a60ed16596138

jp80874
09-19-2008, 09:00 AM
My departure time from work is still up in the air, it won't be later than 5 though so I should see everyone around 6 at the latest. Shawn

Shawn,

Take a look at Lee's post and the map for the Ira Rd. Trail Head. We found pond scum galore, both north and south in the canal bed.