PDA

View Full Version : 20 x 24 sightings?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

sanking
12-07-2007, 09:48 PM
BTW, I just finished watching the owner's manual that comes with Richard Ritter cameras. Very informative and I learned a bunch of things about the camera that were not evident at first glance. Definitely a lot of thoughtful engineering went into this camera, and more, the fact that the designer was a real photographer with experience with this size camera really shows in the small details.

And here are some more views. One shows the bellows extended to 42", with movements on the front and rear. The other shows the camera folded, at which point it measures about 28"X28"X7", or a tad less.

Wow!! I have to say that this camera has fully met my expectations in terms of its specifications for movements, weight, rigidity and bellows draw. One kick-ass 20X24 camera IMHO.

BTW, on the left of the folded image you will see me in another picture, and oin the right is a folded stocking for Santa Claus. Put there for the granddaughters. Camera is too big for the stocking anyway.

Sandy King

Brian Bullen
12-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Sandy, congratulations on the new camera! Will you be posting an in depth review of the camera? 25lbs is great for such a large camera.
Tracy, your camera is coming along nicely, what size is the lens board? How much weight do you think you will be able to trim off?

TracyStorer
12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks Brian,
my original goal was a full featured camera of around 50lbs and I think I'll end up around there. Max bellows is 60". Folded 30" x 30" x 6".(excluding knobs)
This is tiny and light compared to the Polaroid I've been shackled to for decades, but still a lot to haul around.
Lens boards are 8"x8"
I am working on a 16x20 (14x17/12x20 combo really) of the same basic design and am working out plans for smaller lighter cameras as well.

Tracy, your camera is coming along nicely, what size is the lens board? How much weight do you think you will be able to trim off?

Brian Bullen
12-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Tracy, are all of these cameras for you or are you planning to produce for retail sale?
The lens board is a good size, plenty big for some of those heavier lenses. It certainly has an impressive stature, very rigid looking with that metal bed.

TracyStorer
12-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Definitely available for sale. Rather than second guess what people will want though, I started out designing for myself.
Being a small operation, everything will probably have to be "built to order" unless it generates enough income to build some cameras for "stock". That would be highly speculative at this point, however. I'll be putting together a webpage for this stuff soon.

Tracy, are all of these cameras for you or are you planning to produce for retail sale?
The lens board is a good size, plenty big for some of those heavier lenses. It certainly has an impressive stature, very rigid looking with that metal bed.

jgjbowen
12-08-2007, 07:19 AM
BTW, I just finished watching the owner's manual that comes with Richard Ritter cameras. Very informative and I learned a bunch of things about the camera that were not evident at first glance. Definitely a lot of thoughtful engineering went into this camera, and more, the fact that the designer was a real photographer with experience with this size camera really shows in the small details.

Sandy King

For any of you interested in owning a ULF camera, I would recommend you purchase Richard's camera manal...it is a DVD and available from http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com for $15 including postage. Oh yeah, Richard will refund the $15 if you wind up purchasing one of his cameras. I owned my RR 7x17 for over a year prior to the DVD being completed and once I obtained a copy, watched it twice due to all of the info....and I learned a couple things about my camera, I wasn't aware of.

Ted Harris
12-12-2007, 09:21 PM
If you want some hands-on experience and maybe even expose a sheet of film ..... think about coming to Foto3 www.foto3-2008.info. We are now woking out the details of a half day to full day ULF demo and workshop. Richard Ritter, Kerik Kouklis and monte McCutchen will be hosting the gathering. Monte will have his 20x24 Ebony and some of his smaller cameras there, Richard will be there with his 7x17 and there will be at least one more of Richard's 7x17's there. It will definitely be happening on Thursday. Hugo, if you get to town in time and have some Chamonix "big boys" in tow, please join in.

sanking
12-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Attached is a .jpeg of me working with the 20X24. I had to back pack the camera about 1/2 mile to get to this spot.

I forgot the stepladder, and it is really important to have one when working with a 20X24!!

Sandy

Zebra
12-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Sandy,

That looks great! Congrats on getting it out and about so soon. I know that is a wonderful day. I especially like the covered parking you were able to find for it. As to the step ladder I am with you on that program although with mine I also have to include a dolly as mandatory as there is no 'backpacking' at the weight mine comes in at. Hope you have many more days like the one in the picture,

best,

Monty

sanking
12-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Monty,

Here is another one!

Hard to believe it is 13 December and one can hike in the mountains in short sleeves!! Temperature here today got up to the low 80s.

Sandy

Dave Wooten
12-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Maybe with a small block and tackle you could hook on to the rafters above and elevate yourself into position in order to check the comp and fine focus a bit. :)

Brian Bullen
12-13-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm feeling a little jealous here, not just about the camera but also about the weather. The high today was around 15 F not to mention the wind chill.

Looks great sandy, can't wait to see the results of your effort.

sanking
12-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Maybe with a small block and tackle you could hook on to the rafters above and elevate yourself into position in order to check the comp and fine focus a bit. :)

Dave,

I am thinking that the step ladder might be a better solution!!

Sandy

sanking
12-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm feeling a little jealous here, not just about the camera but also about the weather. The high today was around 15 F not to mention the wind chill.

Looks great sandy, can't wait to see the results of your effort.

Brian,

It is going to get a lot colder here, and soon. Typically highs are the in the low 50s or high 40s this time of year.

But here is one more .jpeg, showing me strapping on the equipment for the short hike.

Sandy

jgjbowen
12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Sandy,

Focusing is one thing, but pulling the slide for a vertical is something else all together. I'm 6'6" with 38" sleeves and XL hands and the first time a did a vertical with my RR 7x17, I had to stand on my tiptoes to pull the darkslide....it was at a Fine Focus Workshop and Richard Ritter, Bruce Barlow and Ted Harris were betting I wouldn't be able to do it... :-)

Enjoy your "beast" for it shall present many unusual shooting experiences/challenges :-)

John

jgjbowen
12-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Sandy,

So where's the jpeg?

Dave Wooten
12-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Sandy,

Focusing is one thing, but pulling the slide for a vertical is something else all together. I'm 6'6" with 38" sleeves and XL hands and the first time a did a vertical with my RR 7x17, I had to stand on my tiptoes to pull the darkslide....it was at a Fine Focus Workshop and Richard Ritter, Bruce Barlow and Ted Harris were betting I wouldn't be able to do it... :-)

Enjoy your "beast" for it shall present many unusual shooting experiences/challenges :-)

John

John you are right about that one!...that is where a nice revolving back option comes in.
;)

sanking
12-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Sandy,

John

John,

I am not entirely new to this. I built and used for several years another 20X24 camera. Pulling the slide for a vertical was/is indeed a challenge.

Sandy

sanking
12-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Sandy,

So where's the jpeg?

They seem to all show up?

Or were you looking for a .jpeg of the scene I shot? If so, that will have to wait as scanning a 20X24" negative presents certain challenges.

Sandy

Brian Bullen
12-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Sandy, you make it look so easy with that big camera.
I was raised outside of Washington D.C. and I miss the warm winters. I always remember Christmas being 45-50 with some light rain. I also remember thinking it was cold then. How naive, now I just pray I can keep all my fingers and toes until spring. :)