PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 12 Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

BWKate
11-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Today I received 4 postcards!
Very cool street shot taken by Tim Gray , I'm sure everyone has mentioned that we are in Round #12! Love the plastic crabs taken by Ian Harding or Stan 160. Even plastic looks great in B&W! Got the most amazing postcard of several different kinds of texture by Randall Murrow or randyman. I am assuming you took this in Texas somewhere. And lastly Black Dog's ethereal image of Callanish. Well done Jake! Can't wait to see the entire series. I know what you mean about very atmospheric places. You can go back again and again and still have images to take. Thanks!

drpsilver
11-16-2007, 12:48 AM
15 Nov 2007

Buster6x6:

"Evergreen Barn" is located in the Evergreen Valley just outside Yosemite National Park. It was a wonderful day to photograph when I stumbled across this barn.

This was photographed with a Hasselblad 501C/M loaded with Plus-X (rated at EI 100). The negative was developed for my normal time in D-76 (1:1) The paper developer that I used is a little unusual because I add potassium carbonate to give richer blacks. The formulation used for this print was Ilford Multigrade developer (1:9) with 10% (by volume) addition of 6% potassium carbonate solution. If you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM.

Regards,
Darwin

Buster6X6
11-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks Darwin
Holding a card as an original it is nice to know how you got there.

Cheers Greg

Black Dog
11-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks Kate!-I'm going to print up a whole set and send them out in future rounds. Right now I'm printing pics of WW2 battlefields in Normandy which is very different subject matter for me. After rereading Josef Koudelka's 'Chaos' I'm now wanting to go panoramic.....7x17 inch here I come [or at least a 6x17 back on my 8x10 when I get it...]

eric
11-16-2007, 06:38 PM
I mailed my cards today. I got one today too! From WTD shot. Nice. I love toy cams.
Sorry in advance to the 2 or 3 folks that will have a slight fog on the bottom of the print. I ran out of paper so I couldn't reprint. I put the prints back in the box so I can expose more and for some reason, I fogged 2 or 3 of them on the bottom.

BTW, mailing to Guam is regular postal rate from the continental US. It isn't international. My count this time around 17 international, a dismal 4 US (1 for Guam so that makes 5). I have a lot going to The Netherlands!

Tim Gray
11-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Whoops. I forgot this was round 12. Haha.

Haven't received any cards yet, but thats because I'm moving soon and gave you guys my mom's home address. She's been really enjoying all the cards that have arrived - I should be able to see the first batch over Thanksgiving.

gr82bart
11-17-2007, 05:58 AM
Haven't received any cards yet, but thats because I'm moving soon and gave you guys my mom's home address. She's been really enjoying all the cards that have arrived - I should be able to see the first batch over Thanksgiving.I've done the same thing and given my parent's address, just in case things go my way. :D

Regards, Art.

Pete H
11-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Just got back from a week away, to find 5 more cards waiting for me.
Jake Williams' still life: interesting high key abstract that you have to work out :)
Ian (stan160) has sent a typical english summer seaside scene of some novelty plastic crabs. Do people really buy those things? Don't answer that!
Pepe Miro's village in Catalunya looks very precipitous. What was the toner?
Randall Murrow's Waller TX looks slightly warmtone to me. Did you tone it, or which developer did you use?
Art sent a wonderful cyanotype. I must try that one day.

Thank you !

Pete

AdamKap
11-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Bunch of cards in the last couple days :)

Got Peter's card of the swimming pool. So far its my favorite of all the card's I've received so far. :)
Can't read the handwriting on this one (sorry!) but is is a diptych of a bridge. very cool. :)
Got Mark's shot of the county fair. Great contrast on the pig.
Nicholas's shot of the flamingo. I'm loving the fact that I cant see his legs.
Klinger's shot in the Orkney's. I would love to see this in B&W. Great shot.
The next two I got a few days ago, just forgot to post I received them.
Jake's shot of the ocean. I love the light shining off the water.
Finally..Ian's shot of the plastic crabs. Just like Pete said, I can't believe people actually buy those things. ;) Love the contrast between the crab shells and their shadows.

I'll be mailing my cards out on tuesday. They're printed, just need to address & mail them. Been very busy with school, sorry about that guys(& gals).

gmessarit
11-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I would like to find out George what camera film and paper did you use, paper developer? It make it easier to relate to the print, Thanks.

Hi,

sorry, I am away from home and didn't see your message earlier.

The film I used was FP4+, camera was my Canon 300V (cheapest Canon SLR of 4 years ago), lens was the 50mm f/1.8, aperture at f/4 or wider. I had the film developed at a lab, so don't know the developer he used. However, ahem, I did not print in a darkroom, because I don't have one. I instead scanned the negative, corrected for tone and contrast and printed on Moab Entrada Natural on an Epson 2100 using Imageprint. This is my standard practice at the moment and I am happy with the result and the look of the prints.

Oh, I should credit Michael Kenna for the original idea :): http://www.michaelkenna.net/html/books/20yr2/27.html

g.

randyman
11-18-2007, 03:04 PM
#4 Waller TX, No1. Good composition and the texture is striking. Again I would like to know what equipment did you use camera ,film, film developer paper developer?

Got the most amazing postcard of several different kinds of texture by Randall Murrow or randyman. I am assuming you took this in Texas somewhere.

Randall Murrow's Waller TX looks slightly warmtone to me. Did you tone it, or which developer did you use?

Been away from the forum for a few days. Thank for the nice comments.
@Greg: Pentax 645, Tri-X, developed in Sprint chemistry used by my school lab.

@Kate: yes, Waller TX is about an hour's drive or so outside of Houston. Spent the better part of this Labor Day with my partner and a friend shooting in the town and the surrounding countryside. Nice to get out of the city for a change.

@Pete: no toning, paper is the pearl Ilford postcard stock. I noticed the warm color myself, as it differed significantly from a previous printing on neutral tone Ilford 8x10. Developed in Sprint's QuickSilver developer.

MattKing
11-19-2007, 12:54 AM
If anyone wants to send a postcard with a note of support to Kodak, write to:

Mary Jane Hellyar
President Film Products Group
Eastman Kodak Company
343 State Street
Rochester, New York 14650

Hopefully, people will take this opportunity to be supportive of Kodak and demonstrate to her that there is a market for traditional film products. Here's her bio: http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2710&pq-locale=en_US&gpcid=0900688a8023249d

All mine are in the mail. I asked Mary Jane to sign up for an APUG membership too. Cross our fingers.

Regards, Art.

I sent my cards out today, including one to Ms. Hellyar.

As I said on the included note, it was a somewhat bittersweet experience.

The shot was photographed on Kodak Plus-X film and developed in Kodak HC110 developer. The prints were developed in Kodak Polymax T developer, and subsequently toned in Kodak Sepia II developer. And the paper? That was the bittersweet part. I just about used up the last batch of Kodak paper I had - in this case Polymax RC III. Thus bringing to an end 40+ years of using almost exclusively (until just very recently) Kodak Black and White photographic paper.

I am a little sad, but not desolate. I have a fair amount of Ilford paper that I've purchased recently, Kentmere interests me, and I see some of the new Seagull around to. I just wish the change was due to a desire to experiment, rather than a necessity.

I hope everyone who receives one of my postcards enjoys them.

Matt

Pete H
11-19-2007, 07:47 AM
My cards have gone out today, also including ones to Ms Hellyar and Simon Galley. I like and use many Ilford products (film, chemistry and paper) but these days unfortunately few of Kodak's surviving products interest me. I wish it were otherwise ...

I didn't put the technical details on the card. If you are interested, I sent out 3 different shots all from the same roll of Acros, shot with a Contax G2 & 28mm f/2.8 Biogon, exposures around 1/1000 s at f/4. I suspect that it was developed in DD-X (wouldn't swear to that) and the prints were developed in Agfa Neutol WA.

BWKate
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I received Mark Fisher'spostcard today. Poor little piggy. Like you said all good pigs go to heaven. Great series, Mark. Enjoyed it very much.
I'm off to the darkroom tonight if I'm not too tired to print my postcards in one go.

Pete H
11-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Received Mick Fagan's well-executed high key portrait and Klinger's ring of standing stones.

Thanks!
Pete H

rst
11-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Hey,

my cards went on their way yesterday. The lady in the post office is no longer surprised if I show up every once in a while with a huge pile of postcards. I hope you will enjoy it.

So far I received around 13 cards and will comment on them as soon as I have a bit more time. All great cards.

Thanks and ciao
-- Ruediger

gr82bart
11-20-2007, 06:30 AM
Hi Folks,

My parents have received 11 fantastic postcards. Both were fine photographers in their own day and were the ones that got me into this mess in the first place. They are loving the images and the cards and think this postcard exchange is wonderful.

OK, so ...

Selective focus tree from George in Greece. I like the matte finish.
Amusing army of crabs from Ian.
Mark sent out an image of one of my fav animals - a pig. This is also the second image of a pig I've gotten this month in exchanges.
Tim managed to catch a local kid wheeling about on a bike.
I really like the image that Randall from TX sent.
The flamingo Nicolas sent is very peculiar - where are the legs?!?
I always like images that Greg sends. Lots of 'stuff' in the images.
Peter, I'll be visiting soon and want to see more of Florida's sights.
Yeah! A rare colour postcard from Klinger of the Ring of Brodgar on Orkney. Added bonus is that he's licked on some interesting $0.03 philately too.
Arthur's (great name!) street candid of the local fishmongers in NYC Chinatown is also the stuff I like to shoot.
My GAWD! Another colour postcard. And of the Toronto skyline too. Very nice mood.

Thanks everyone from me and my parents.

Regards, Art.

Stephen Frizza
11-20-2007, 10:10 AM
I would like to join this post card exchange i am based in australia, can someone help me?

rst
11-20-2007, 10:15 AM
I would like to join this post card exchange i am based in australia, can someone help me?Hi Stephen,
the sign up for the next round will be opened January 2008. As for "rules", please take a look into this (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum179/26912-apug-postcard-exchange-introduction-schedules.html) thread which describes what it is all about and also lists the next schedules.

It is a lot of fun.

ciao
-- Ruediger

Pete H
11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Woo hoo! 6 cards in the post today!

Doug Smith's diptych works really well,
There is an anonymous swimming pool from Florida,
Greg Dejanovic's gas can uses the same storage arrangement as my garden shed,
A wonderful legless flamingo from Nicholas Linden - I never knew they could balance on their beaks like that :p
A posing pig from Mark Fisher. I hope you post some more from the series at APUG.
Kathy Whitmore's trees at night have lovely rich tones.

This is already another good round - thank you all!