PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 12 Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

Jon King
11-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I printed my postcards today, and they are drying below :D. The post office is next.

I've recieved 13 cards so far

I just got kwhitmore's card in the mail today - a great night shot
Klinger - I like how the color sets off the stones and the sky.
blackdog - a great image and amazing location.
I've been to Foamhenge (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/VANATfoamhenge.html) , but it just isn't the same as Klinger's and Black Dog's :p
Nicholas Lindan - Wonderful texture in the bird, and the lack of legs makes it easy to see it in an abstract way
stan160 - I like the missing one, as well as those rare shadows!
Mick Fagan - great portrait, my house guests never pose
fm2n- a great city shot, and 4x5 street photography, love it!
Allen Friday - I like the composition and the glowing crucible
gr82bart - nice image that works well with Cyanotype
Peter Schrager - symmetry and reflections
Mark Fisher - works as a single image, looking forward to a series
Pepmiro - nice composition - wonderful toning - blue, but different look than most cyanotypes
Doug Smith - Great idea for a diptych, nicely done.

Buster6X6
11-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Received 5 more cards today.
Mark Fisher I sure hope this pig went to haven.It is so cute. The picture tells a story.
Peter Schrager Very moody late afternoon shot. Well done.
KWhitmore Interesting hand held night shot of a stairs. Very slight up movement of the camera give it a interesting texture. I like it.
rwyoung An eerie,ghostly shrunken head . Yikes, I better use film only
Peter Klinger A very surreal color photograph of "Ring of Brodgar" Thanks Peter the post office made a mess of the front . A lot of swirly things in the middle. And as Art said I like the 3c stamps nice touch.

Keep them coming, thanks to all that made comments on my contribution to this post card exchange.

Greg

AdamKap
11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Received another 5 today.
George's selective focus tree. I love the choice of matte paper.
KWhitmore's staircase. I wish I had the patience to hold a camera still for 1.5 minutes. :p
Allen's foundry shot. I like the composition. and the glowing of the crucible.
rwyoung's shrunken head. very creepy.
Arthur's chinatown fish market. I loving walking down there everytime I'm in the city. great shot.

rwyoung
11-21-2007, 01:31 PM
rwyoung's shrunken head. very creepy.

Just to be clear, that isn't my head, shrunk down...:D ;)

Mark Mombarg
11-21-2007, 02:31 PM
8 cards in my mail today!
-Spectacular in-line skaters from Pete H.
-Todd's gas can by Greg D.
- A beautiful printed leaf by Rüdiger
- A very confident high-key portrait by Mick F, nice print!
- A pavement (beautiful tones) exposed for 1.5 min by Kathy, great composition!
- "Bronze Casting"by Allen F.
-Ring of Brodgar, by Klinger
- A spectacular picture of a Catalonian village, from Andorra (!)

I received 19 cards until now; I am really enjoying this exchange..
My cards were posted a couple of days ago.

Pete H
11-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Today I received

Rüdiger's hivernal leaf with nice veiny detail
and
Eric's something dog (the post office stuck the infamous paper strip over the "something") looming over the bedclothes.

It's another enjoyable round.

eric
11-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Eric's something dog (the post office stuck the infamous paper strip over the "something") looming over the bedclothes.

It's another enjoyable round.

It was "Dang Dog!"

:)

Buster6X6
11-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Post card exchange is up to speed, received another three cards today.
FM2N Chinatown fish market.Difficult to capture but a lot of fun. I love markets. Well done Arthur.
"Bronze Casting" from Allan Friday Beautifully executed image. Great shot Allan.
No surprise here. Another beautiful portrait from Mick Fagan. Pose, expression, angle and high key work well together. I love it mate.

Thanks Greg

KWhitmore
11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Ok, so far to date I've received six awesome postcards.
A gorgeous cyanotype from Art-I love it, wonderful curves.
The Evergreen Barn from drpsilver is really nice-makes me miss living in the country.
Doug Smith's diptych of the bridge for WTC day is cool and moody.
Todd's gas can from Buster6X6 is great...you made all that junk look beautiful and somehow organized?
From Mark Fisher was "all good pigs go...." Well, this vegetarian hopes he went to heaven....and not bacon ;P Nice tones, great subject. I hope to see more of the series.
Finally Dang Dog from Eric. This one made me laugh out loud I'll admit. A great portrait in my opinion.
This has been a great first round for me....thanks!

Kathy

Mark Fisher
11-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Ok, so far to date I've received six awesome postcards.
A gorgeous cyanotype from Art-I love it, wonderful curves.
The Evergreen Barn from drpsilver is really nice-makes me miss living in the country.
Doug Smith's diptych of the bridge for WTC day is cool and moody.
Todd's gas can from Buster6X6 is great...you made all that junk look beautiful and somehow organized?
From Mark Fisher was "all good pigs go...." Well, this vegetarian hopes he went to heaven....and not bacon ;P Nice tones, great subject. I hope to see more of the series.
Finally Dang Dog from Eric. This one made me laugh out loud I'll admit. A great portrait in my opinion.
This has been a great first round for me....thanks!

Kathy

Thanks for the comments of the county fair cards. I have enough images to keep it going for another few years. This winter, I want to get all the images I have thusfar printed as a group....hopefully this group could be the basis for a show. I think I've sent out 3 or 4 so far from the series. I'll try to get them all posted in one place sometime this winter.

It has been a nice exchange thus far....seems like the quality is moving up and the people are trying things outside their comfort zone.

All the best -- Mark

Pete H
11-22-2007, 12:02 PM
The postman is really working hard. Today I received a very well composed bronze casting from Allen Friday and the Geat Wall of China extending off into the mist from Mark Mombarg. Both are printed very well.

I agree with Mark Fisher's comment that the quality of this round is very high :)

gphoto120
11-22-2007, 09:25 PM
I received 6 more cards the past week - Thanks to everyone.......
Mick Fagan- wonderful portrait and subject!, "Great Wall" from Mark Mombarg -very nice. Diptych from Doug Smith - really cool, (my wife's favorite thus far).
"Witch Doctor" - rwyoung, and "Bronze Casting" from A. Friday - both excellent.
Finally got in the darkroom today and printed 10 cards. Will send these Saturday and print the balance this weekend and send next week.

Buster6X6
11-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Commitment in this round has been wonderful. I received four more cards today.
1.I hope I read it correctly:Picture was taken with Diana I assume 6X6? At world Toy camera day. Is it a contact print?Excuse my ignorance Dave Smith but I do not know nothing about Diana :( It looks like image was shot against the light. Very difficult shot.What paper and developer did you use?
2.PepMiro with little village of Valldurques?Good composition and toning
3.As always something unique rst with rendition of a fall leaf, very nice.
4.Mark Mombarg With chinese bridal shop. Well done indoor shot. I never tried HC-110 it works well with Tri-X.

Cheers Greg

drpsilver
11-23-2007, 09:35 PM
23 Nov 2007

I agree with Matt that the quality of work is outstanding. This is my first time participating in anything like this, and it is really FUN and EXCITING. I cannot wait for Round 13 sign-ups.

Klinger's photo of standing sones reminds me of Kilmartin, Scotland where I was also among other pre-historic structures.
I really like gmessarit's composition and selective focus to direct the eye of the viewer. Wonderfully done!
The photo of the flamingo balanced on it bill by Nicholas Lindan is nicely composed. I would have never though of hiding it leg when taking the photograph.
Buster6X6's photo of "Todd's gas can" is interesting because I also try to look for art in places that art is not usually found, like piles of junk.
The message from the "Witchdoctor" brought to us by rwyoung is one that I need to hear often. Thank you Rob.
I received MattKing's postcard today. I really like how you combined the gray and sepia tones to give a brown that something I have been working to do for some time. Thanks for the ideas.

The two things I like most about this exchange are:
1. I get to show others some of my work, and I get to see lots of other peoples work. It broadens my view of the world.
2. It gives me ideas for my photography. Both in the field and in the darkroom.

Thanks to all for a wonderful exchange. I look forward to receiving more postcards.

Regards,
Darwin

Doug Smith
11-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks to all for all the wonderful cards I've received so far.

Todd's Gas Can by Greg- one of my favorites. He and Mr. Shovel look like they're holding the jumble behind them at bay.
I love randyman's "Ladder to nowhere". Great tones and composition.
The tonality in Allen Friday's shot matches the subject. Very nice.
Tim Gray's wheelie shot- I love how the rider is diagonal and everything else is very rectangular.
Art's cynaotype is just beautiful.
Likewise for pepmiro's rooftop view.
Kathy Whitmore's Night Stairs - 1.5 minutes handheld- I'm impressed. The lights look like UFOs.
Also impressed with Mike's color print of Toronto. What a treat to get a color postcard.
I love how the man seems like one of the stones in Klinger's Orkney shot.
Peter's Florida poolside shot takes me back to the 50's.
Mick's house guest - nice light and an excellent portrait.
Mark's Beijing shot- very evocative. Was that an open air market?
Ian's crab shot made me smile.
Mark Fisher's pig shot made me sad (but in a good way).
Eric's dog shot made me laugh.
Nicholas Linden's flamingo shot made me go "Wow, I wish I had taken that."

To Greg regarding the Diana- It's a cheap plastic camera made in the 60's and 70's in Hong Kong and has appeared under a number of names, sometimes as promotional giveaways. It uses 120 but shoots 4x4 so you get 15 exposures. The subject I used for the postcard was of the el in Sunnyside, Queens, NY. It's two consecutive exposures (complete with light leaks on the edges - a toy camera bonus) that made an interesting diptych. Shot on Plus-X dev in Xtol. Print was made from a scan on an inkjet printer since I no longer have access to a darkroom. It's kind of like a contact in that it just shows the two frames and surrounding unexposed film (which is why Diana's are so good for this type of thing - they make their own internal frames) but it was enlarged to fit the 4x6 card.

Doug

BWKate
11-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 5 cards in the last day or two. Mick Fagan's high key portrait of a houseguest looks so simple but is very effective, well done. Thanks for your kind comment regarding my previous postcard offerings. Peter Scrager's image of a pool in Florida at dusk, I think, is very moody. Really enjoyed
gmessarit's image of a tree in Greece, beautiful use of selective focus. Also loved Doug Smith's diptych of an overpass taken with a Diana camera. I would love to start using some toy cameras in the future. Thanks for the congrats on my article in B&W. Still pretty stoked about it. I totally know how you feelMatt King about your Kodak products being discontinued. My beloved Kodak Infrared will be no more by the end of the year and I have stockpiled exactly 4 rolls! (I have 20 rolls on order) Really enjoyed your Driftwood postcard from Gabriola, an island I have on my list to visit. Been to Hornby, Cortez, Quadra, and Denman so far.
I had a very productive day in the darkroom on my day off on Thursday and printed all of my postcards. This time I decided to only print one image instead of the three I usually do. It's a very recent image so I wasn't sick of it yet. Just have to write on them so that might take a little while.

Black Dog
11-24-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm practically living in my darkroom at the moment, printing pics of WW2 battlefields in Normandy, some of which will be in the next round of the exchange [will be finished by monday and then it's on to light abstracts and portraits].Really impressed with the cards I've recieved so far!

Buster6X6
11-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks Doug for the explanation. Now 4X4 makes sense, it looked a little bit small for 6X6. And I also learned new word diptych.
Great exchange so far.

Cheers Greg

AdamKap
11-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I got a few more cards in the mail today.
rst's lovely leaf. Such a simple shot, but effective.
Pete H.'s shot of a rollerblader in Paris. I love the light on the guy doing the flip.
Mark's fish market. My eye was drawn to the one fish on the plate in the foreground, while on every other plate there are multiple fish.
Mick's house-guest. simple, but elegant.

tim_walls
11-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Would just like to say I've received some beautiful cards so far - so many I haven't actually had a chance to sit down and go through them all! I will post personal thanks here when I make that time... As you can probably guess, I haven't printed my cards yet (gulp!,) but I'm going to give it my all to get them printed this week (which probably means in the post on Saturday - 1 day late, sorry!)