PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 12 Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

AdamKap
12-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Received Tim's Lightbulb yesterday. Is the mesh to protect the bulb from being broken? I love how you can see the coils inside the bulb, and just a hint of the glass.

Black Dog
12-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Running Child by Dianna M-another superb portrait with effective use of blur [and just one small but crucial patch of sharpness in the middle]
Fort Plain by Ericg-reminiscent of LF and Walker Evans with lots of crisscrossing diagonals and blocks of space/tone within the frame
Guam by Jon King-moody sky with clouds appearing to dwarf the buildings in the distance
Marbles by BWKate-particularly enjoy the mini reflections within each marble and the assorted ways they catch the light
Florida Pool by Peter Schrager-agree with previous comment about it reminding them of film noir!
Wedding Dresses by Mark Mombarg-spooky and surreal;an impression enhanced by the lighting and printing
Ring of Brodgar by Klinger-dramatic sky and subtle colour palette;sorry to hear about your flood losses
All Good Pigs Go To Heaven by Mark Fisher-ROFL!:D
Blue Village by PepMiro-not a treatment I'd have thought of for this image but very mmody;nice light and use of diagonals too
Plastic Crabs by Stan160-what a funny lot they are on the other side of the channel. Les chiens fou et les Anglais, mes amis:p...
Pillars by Art- a moody and dreamlike cyanotype
Tree by Gmessarit-lovely subtle tones and contrasts of light/shade
Barn by DRPsilver-moody sky and punchy tones
Waller, TX by Randyman-the most enigmatic card so far, with its ladder that seems to lead nowhere....the sort of details you can so easily walk right past
Wheelchair by Matthijs-and again!-the everyday can be so strange...
Lake Jolster by Mikeg-great lowkey moody landscape;another surreal one like the previous two-why is the chair at the end of the jetty like that?
Wheelie by Tim Gray-well spotted-just goes to show that chance favours a prepared mind!
Thanks for a great bunch of cards, everybody.:D

Buster6X6
12-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Marry Christmas everyone!
Today I think I got the last two entries in this postcard exchange.tim_walls " light bulb" it reminds me of bulbs used in the last century with carbon filament :p. Very unique look.
blackmelas "Orthodox priests" What a nice paper and developer combination. Well done. I really like the story behind it to, thanks James. I appreciate your comments on my entry.

Greg

dianna
12-25-2007, 11:17 PM
I think I received cards from everyone...
gmessarit - a tree in Ancient Olympia - gorgeous rich tones in the print!
eric - Dang dog! nice expression on the dog and I like the square image.
Geoff - scene from a shipyard, awesome composition.
Valerie - scene from the kitchen - you absolutely captured the mood and light, so lovely - this is one of my favorites in the exchange.
Donald Grindstaff - King of the jungle, with very nice rim lighting from the setting sun.
kraker - mall scene, I like the patterns and geometry, too!
unsigned - Berlin TV tower scene, I love getting postcards showing parts of the world I never see - very nice print, too!
mattking - driftwood - Lovely sepia-toned 5x7 print on Polymax paper. I also used the last of my Polymax earlier this year... it was the first paper I ever printed on and I'll always remember the stacks and stacks of yellow boxes in the camera store...
Ian - plastic crabs - great! I felt like I was there on a summer afternoon browsing the fair.
klinger - scene from Orkney - the color print is very nice!
blackdog - Malo's 3rd #1 - another one of my favorites - very nice mood and light.
Jon - scene in Guam over water, nice! another part of the world that I've never seen.
Randall - Waller, TX No. 1 - beautiful tones and textures!
drpsilver - Evergreen Barn - wow, the sky, just marvelous!
Mike Wilde - Toronto at Sundown - beautiful print, and I enjoyed reading the description of your workflow for this exchange.

I agree with the other comments that this exchange has been the best yet. I wish I'd signed up for 40+ instead of just 20!

Looking forward to the next round,
Dianna

AdamKap
12-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Got blackmelas Greek Orthodox priest image. Great tones, and I love the story behind it.

Pete H
12-28-2007, 03:07 AM
Three cards have arrived over the last week:
Thanks Bob F for the colour print. That's quite a challenge to take on colour printing and send out your first efforts.
MikeG for the atmospheric lake. It looks very cold and wet!
Valerie's foggy front yard. Square formats are very satisfying.

:)

AdamKap
12-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Got a card of a wheelchair in a subway station, I can't read the name. Surprisingly, the way it is mounted, survived the trip from the Netherlands. I like the backstory for it. And I love the lighting in it.

Buster6X6
12-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Surprise ,surprise :D I got two more cards today.
mikeg's Jolster lake dock pointing into a stormy clouds, I like the position of the chair, it is nicely braking symmetry of the shot. Well done.
Valerie's Short DOF branch with the spiderweb, simple but appealing I like it. Frame around the image looks almost three dimensional?

Great round Greg

Matthijs
12-29-2007, 03:13 AM
Got a card of a wheelchair in a subway station, I can't read the name. Surprisingly, the way it is mounted, survived the trip from the Netherlands. I like the backstory for it. And I love the lighting in it.

That would be my card! I'm glad you like it. My only worry was indeed that the photo would come off the mounting paper, but luckily it didn't.

bdial
12-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Matthijs, my copy of it came through intact too, I never would have expected a mounted print in the postcard exchange, it's lovely.

Thanks too to everyone for all the others. I suppose I should, but I don't keep track. But going to the mailbox is a great adventure.

AdamKap
12-29-2007, 02:09 PM
That would be my card! I'm glad you like it. My only worry was indeed that the photo would come off the mounting paper, but luckily it didn't.

Yeah, I was very surprised it came through intact, especially since my post office is know for destroying stuff.

Black Dog
12-29-2007, 06:44 PM
3 more cards just arrived:

Faversham Boatyard by Bob F-vg for a first attempt at colour printing!
Orthodox Priests by Blackmelas-fascinating story behind it and good use of tonal contrast to fill the space. Thanks for the kind comments:D
Kitchen by Valerie-subtle,quiet warm tones in a contemplative image of your domestic space-thanks also for the kind comment:D

Looking forward to the next round!

Pete H
12-31-2007, 10:25 AM
What a nice end to the old year - two more cards arrived today.
Thanks to Matthijs for the beautifuuly printed and mounted subway,
and BWKate for the fascinating collection of marbles. I had great fun deciding which way was up before noticing the labels on the back. :)

Happy New Year to all!

Pete

Buster6X6
12-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Excellent exit to the old 2007 year. I am hopping for even better 2008 for everyone connected to APUG and post card exchange.

Y'all have a happy and healthy new 2008 year and shoot more film then ever before.

Cheers Greg. eh!

rst
01-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi all,

December was a pretty busy time for me and so I was very quiet. I want the thank everyone for sending the cards, I will post some more comments later.

I just started the sign-up thread for the next round which might not yet be on your radar screen: Postcard Exchange Round 13 (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum179/45805-postcard-exchange-round-13-sign-up.html)

ciao
-- Ruediger

rst
01-02-2008, 07:31 AM
OK,

I got a hint that there are still people waiting for cards from this and the last round. Because people might step back from this exchange because they feel fooled, I think we should address this problem. I am not sure about the best way to do this. Cards can get lost on their way, so I would not like to have anyone blamed in the public.

I would propose to give those late comers a bit more time. But in the end I would ask those participants who miss a huge amount of cards to send be a list of those people and I will collect that data and send out reminders.

There might be better ideas about how to deal with this and I am open for suggestions.

Thanks to all participants who already sent their cards and thanks to all participants who are going to send their cards.

ciao
-- Ruediger

PepMiro
01-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I've done some statistics about the cards I do and I don't received:

I should have received 38 cards
I have received 33 cards
Percentage of acomplishement: 86,8%

I find this percentage quite reasonable, atending that some cards perhaps are lost in the trip.

On the other hand, atending the messages in the forum, I think I will receive at least another 2 cards. In that case, the percentage of acomplishement would be 92,1%.

About previous rounds, my statistics are:

Round #11:
Number of postcards ----> 41
Received --------------> 35
Percentage of acomplishement ----> 85,4%

Round #10:
Number of postcards ----> 43
Received --------------> 39
Percentage of acomplishement ----> 90,7%

Round #9:
Number of postcards ----> 31
Received --------------> 27
Percentage of acomplishement ----> 87,1%

gr82bart
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I have received 24/38 postcards so far.

Regards, Art

BWKate
01-03-2008, 03:00 AM
I have posted in the other thread (the round#13 sign up) that I just mailed my last 8 cards and who those recipents were to be. They are Art, gmessarit, gphoto120, hal9000, kraker, randyman, stan160, and Tim Walls. Sorry they were so late but I was working quite alot this season and basically only had Christmas Eve day, Christmas, and New Year's Day off.
I am very happy with this round. I have received 29 postcards of the list of 30 I had.

mikeg
01-03-2008, 07:52 AM
MikeG for the atmospheric lake. It looks very cold and wet!

It was! We went on holiday to Norway for 2 weeks last July/August -- sadly the weather was like that for 10 of the 14 days :(.

Mike