PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 12 Comments and Results

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

AdamKap
01-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I just received MikeG's today as well, I love the atmosphere and the chair at the end of the dock.

I got 36/38 postcards, counting Mike's.

Buster6X6
01-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Today I received two more wonderful cards.
First color developing attempt from Bob F. I find it very interesting and full of detail. Guy working on the rigging is well placed.
Matthijs Noome Really nice presentation. I like the post card glued (and did not separate in transit ;) like some before) on black photo paper. Very good night shot. Wow. So far I have received 36 cards of 37 send. Not bad.
I hope the #13 is as good as #12 was.

Greg

Pete H
01-05-2008, 05:20 AM
I have received 34 and sent 37. An excellent round!

Matthijs
01-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Since my last post in this thread, I've received four more cards.

Bob F. sent me the second colour print I got this round. A very nice close-up of the rigging of an old ship, the slight colour cast fits the image very well.

I really like blackmelas' print be cause of the contrast between the white robes and the dark beards and hats. Very nicely printed. Very interesting story too!

Valerie got me a very nice close-up of a spider web with dew on the silk. Did you use a Rolleinar close-up lens for the shot?

mikeg sent an atmospheric shot from Norway, the chair on the pier really makes the shot. Lovely tonality too.

So far I've received 28 out of 30 cards.

Valerie
01-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Valerie got me a very nice close-up of a spider web with dew on the silk. Did you use a Rolleinar close-up lens for the shot?

Yes. Its one of my favorite toys!

randyman
01-06-2008, 01:28 PM
What a fantastic experience! I sent 38 postcards and have received 31 so far. I've done a terrible job of documenting my impressions, however; in the past month I have quit my job, sung ~3 weeks of Christmas concerts and Messiah performances, run off to Vermont in the middle of holiday travel to marry my now-civil partner, and we are now in the process of relocating to London! Most likely I will miss Round 13 but will rejoin as soon as we are settled, have a real address, etc.

Received:

erikg: Fort Plain NY - Friedlander-esque
gordrob: Rustic Barn - great contrasts
geoff: shipyard detail - wonderful lines, a tangled mess! I love the C330
kingjon: Tumon Bay in Guam - fantastic view
valerie: kitchen detail - pleasing arrangement here, perhaps I'll cook something!
dianna m: young ballerina - lovely sense of motion, delicate tones
tim walls: glow in the dark - cool graphic!
birger a: mirrors in Reichstag - wonderful repetition, mysterious dark figure in the middle
don grindstaff: lion - great composition and detail
bdial: "Private" - I am curious what is behind the door! love the decayed textures
adamkap: The Cyclone - I like the contrast of the busy structure above and the calm street below
mattking: Driftwood - wonderful range of tones and detail in the wood
buster6x6: Todd's gas can - We are drawn to similar subjects; I love sorting through junk piles looking for great photos
jonking: Mission San Jose - beautiful scene, great shadow detail
rudiger: Summer is over - fine detail in the leaf; curiously black, almost resembles a bat!
mark mombarg: Beijing fish market, Oct 2007 - great composition
pepmiro: Catalonian village - beautiful, like an old movie still
allen friday: Bronze casting - great environmental portrait of a scene most folks don't get to witness firsthand
mark fisher: All good pigs go to heaven - the pig is posing! cute and sad; no name, just a price per lb.
doug smith: bridge diptych - film noir! love the mysterious mood
gmessarit: Tree in Olympia - great use of selective focus, that tree trunk is rather sexy
stan160: Plastic crabs - they are lined up and marching, it seems! fun
fm2n: Chinatown - wonderful slice of street life here, great contrast
klinger: Ring of Brodgar - wow, would have missed the person standing there were it not for the hands. nice to see a sense of scale. great scene!
rwyoung: Witch Doctor - aaah! I will go buy more film right away!
tim gray: Wheelie - fun capture and nicely composed
blackdog: La Baillyerie Mirror - an apparition, perhaps
mick fagan: high key portrait - well done! I wouldn't mess with her
mike wilde: Toronto skyline - beautiful and subtle colors
drpsilver: Evergreen Barn - wonderful details, strong lines
gr82bart: Cyanotype - great treatment, looks beautifully aged

Pete H
01-06-2008, 03:37 PM
What a fantastic experience! I sent 38 postcards and have received 31 so far. I've done a terrible job of documenting my impressions, however; in the past month I have quit my job, sung ~3 weeks of Christmas concerts and Messiah performances, run off to Vermont in the middle of holiday travel to marry my now-civil partner, and we are now in the process of relocating to London! Most likely I will miss Round 13 but will rejoin as soon as we are settled, have a real address, etc.

Hi Randyman
It looks like my card never arrived at your address, although I'm sure I sent one. If you pm me with a new address, I'll send another one.

Pete

gr82bart
01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Latest batch of postcards:

Nice candid of a bronze casting pour at a smelter from Allen
Katherine's postcard is an intriguing perspective of urban trees
MikeG sent a fantastic image of a pier jettisoning into a gorgeous scene
I really love the blue toned postcard from Andorra
Divine skateboarding was captured by PeteH
Mark captured a line of wedding dresses in Beijing
I actually forgot that Jake sent his postcard together with another print from another print exchange
Bob F printed his own colour postcards of folks working on a sailing barge
And finally James beautifully captured Orthodox Greek Priests during a festival

This brings my total to 31 out of 38. Awesome, keep them coming - we're at the home stretch.

Regards, Art.

BWKate
01-06-2008, 08:41 PM
That's right Art!

Yours and randyman's is on the way! Once again I apologize for their lateness.

drpsilver
01-07-2008, 02:37 AM
06 Jan 2008

For those who are keeping statistics on this round I have received 19 of 20 for Pound #12. That is a 95% "receive rate". I hope all rounds are as good.

Regards,
Darwin

randyman
01-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Doh. Was cleaning/organizing and found 3 others I had misplaced earlier. Make that 34/38.

blackmelas: Priests @ Ancient Corinth - great contrast, intrigued by the one in front looking the other way.
Bob F: Thames sailing barge - great job on the color (I've never printed color before), wonderful lines and shapes here
mikeg: Lake Jølster - the somber tones complement the lonely chair at the end of the pier

Thanks, everyone!

Randy

MattKing
01-08-2008, 12:11 AM
I have been remiss about commenting on all the fine cards I have received. I sent out 24, and so far have 21 in return. Here are my comments:

1. dianna m: young dancer - fascinating capture of movement - and I love the Mickey Mouse stamp!
2. Bob F.: working in the rigging - thanks for the colour Bob
3. BWKate: - all the marbles - a neat subject, and a great print - thanks for the kind words Kate about mine
4. kraker: - patterns of light - beautiful patterns, well caught - glad you liked mine Jacco
5. donald grindstaff: lion - nice kitty, and great light and print
6. geoff: shipyard cable detail - really great tangles
7. gmessarit: Tree in Olympia - great framing, and wonderful contrast between the focussed, and the out of focus
8. eric: "Dang Dog! - the eyes say so much!
9. PepMiro: - Catalonia - is this a blue toned contact print? it is marvellous
10. hal9000 - "palast der Republik" - the print glows, and the subject fascinates
11. drpsilver: "Evergreen Barn" - this print has great weight Darwin
12. randyman: - "Waller Texas, No. 1" - wonderful textures
13. bdial - "Reflections" - this looks great, especially upside down :)
14. stan160: - "Southsea funfair" - these plastic crabs are on the march!
15. Tim Gray - "Wheelie" - the sign glows, and the young man moves!
16. Black Dog - "Undercliffs Still Life 1" - interesting objects and a wonderful tone
17. Klinger - "Ring of Brodgar" - an evocative and moody colour print, and the artifact left by the post office makes it look even more mysterious :)
18. Matthijs - "Subway Wheelchair" - a great image, moodily printed
19. KingJon - "Tumon Bay" - a very nice tropical image
20. blackmelas - "Festival" - exotic and the print glows
21. Mike Wilde - "Toronto Skyline" - another great colour print

Thanks to all. It has been a great round.

Matt

blackmelas
01-08-2008, 06:01 PM
... intrigued by the one in front looking the other way.
Yeah, he was interesting. It was a warm evening at the end of June especially for those in long robes and black wool hats. I have some good shots of some bald headed priests with long ponytails and top knots after taking their hats off. The priest you mention has his hat off and his raybans and kept talking throughout the ceremony (gossip goes on regularly during any liturgy in Greece and this one was no exception)
Thanks for your comments and to all for the best round ever.
Best regards,
James

Lynda
01-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Now that the semster is finally over I can look at all of the cool postcards I have received. The first one I got was a cyanotype, beautiful, thank-you, Art.
2-was the barn from drpsilver anothe great card, thanks!
3-was the ladder from Waller TX. thanks, Randall.
4-the kid on a bike from Tim. A very nice night shot (and why was the kid out at midnight?)Thank-you.
5-the piggy from Mark F. I'm guessing he did go to Heaven too. thanks!
6-This is one of my favorites, the pool from Peter S. so dark and shiny!
7-Crabs of plastic, a really cool shot. how big were they? Thanks Ian.
8- A COLOR postcard most impressive! Thanks, Klinger btw, nice stamps too! If this was b&w I would never have seen the person, I like it.
9- In a Silent Way, arrived almost without the label, it was barely hanging on, very nice, thanks, Jake!
10-a diptych from a diana, very nice, thanks Doug.
11-Bronze Casting, I took I swear- the same picture! Thanks, Allen.
12-we went to Chinatown in NY and I missed this! Very nice, thanks, Arthur
13-I will do as the Witchdoctor says and use more film, thanks rwyoung.
14-Todd's Gas Can, really awesome print, Thanks Greg.
15-a real -surprise, a blue tinted card! thanks this is beautiful Josep.
16-A young lady with great contrast, thanks, Mick.
17-Naked tree trunks, a very neat night shot, thanks Kathy.
18- Beijing, I feel like they are playing poker, it's the look on her face, thanks Mark for a rather spooky card.
19-Skater in Paris, wow- very nicely framed! thanks Pete H.
20-a Leaf beautifully printed, thankyou Ruediger.
21-Driftwood -I'm sad you are out of Kodak paper, I had just decided I really liked when they discontinued it. Thanks for the lovely card Matt.
22-this tree is awesome, thanks George (Selective focus is the best!)
23-San Jose Mission, I really like the way you printed this, thank-you Jonathan.
24-The Cyclone, I want to go on it! Thanks Adam, I am enjoying it.
25-Mall2/Patterns2 you captured the light just beautifully, thankyou Jacco.
26-Reichstag mirrors, I can't decide which way is up, very nice, thank-you Birger.
27-Reflections, like an impressionist painting, beautiful, thank-you Barry.
28-The Lion. um, how close were you? Very nice and much closer than I ever plan to be to a lion. Thanks Donald!
29-at first I thought it was a man made sculpture of twisted vines, but no, it's wire, really interesting to look at, thank-you Geoff.
30-the Wheelchair, I can't believe it made it mounted, very nice print too, thank-you Matthijs.
31-Ancient Corinth, really nice and what a contrast to the last one. I got more comments at school from your image in the last round, I haven't taken these yet, we start school next week. thank-you James.
32-Wait, a hand printed COLOR postcard!? this is awesome! thanks Bob! tell me how you did this, I keep thinking about trying.....
33-Glass still life, this is quite lovely, thank-you Kate.
This all I have recieved so far, I never get as many as I send, but postcards do get lost. BTW mine were mailed yesterday so I bet nobody got one yet! I had them printed a long time ago and labeled, just never made it to the post office. My bad!
Lynda

BWKate
01-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Your postcard when it arrives Lynda will make my sending and receiving at 100%!! Yippee....

tim_walls
01-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm starting to worry; absolutely 100% of my cards went out, but I've not seen mine on lists I would have expected to see 'em on... I know Christmas post is slow, but a month is starting to look bad - all I can say is I definitely sent them, honest!

Bob F.
01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
32-Wait, a hand printed COLOR postcard!? this is awesome! thanks Bob! tell me how you did this, I keep thinking about trying.....Easy peasy... I have uploaded a copy to the Gallery with processing info. If I can do it, anyone can. No special gear required (unless like me you are somewhat colour-blind, in which case a white or neutral grey area in the print and a colour reflection densitometer come in handy ;) )...

Tim Walls: I received your pic of the lamp in a Covent Garden pub (good choice of location!) - randyman notes it a few pages back too.

Oh yes, I'm 38/38 so many thanks all!

Have fun, Bob.

rst
01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Your postcard when it arrives Lynda will make my sending and receiving at 100%!! Yippee....No, mine is also on its way to you.

ciao
-- Ruediger

BWKate
01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Tim Walls,
I really enjoyed your pic of the light bulb that you took while in a pub in Covent Garden! It makes me want to check out whether I can still get some enlarger bulbs for some of the enlargers in the cooperative darkroom that I help with.

RST,
Yours is a bonus!!!!

Black Dog
01-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Tim-got yours as well [IIRC I mentioned it a few pages back].