PDA

View Full Version : Print trades.

Pages : [1] 2

JBrunner
11-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Ive been reading this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/44165-if-you-post-pics-here-please-read-comment.html

How about an area for individual print trades, where somebody could post an offering for a print in trade for another? Trading is a great way to see others prints, and build a collection.

I know about the group exchanges, but it might be a nice enrichment to the site if there was an active area where participants were trading 1 to 1.

I know it could be done through the classifieds section, but I think it would be a richer experience as a forum.

photomc
11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
There was actually a gallery for this early on - did not get a lot of activity back then, but maybe it would now.

JBrunner
11-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I think a forum that would appear in the thread list when somebody made a post would be much more active.

Jean Noire
11-08-2007, 01:16 PM
This seems like a good idea. What about discussion of the traded prints as well - what appeals, what it means, reason for the trade? Just some offerings.
John.

Christopher Walrath
11-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I posted in the aforementioned thread. I think it would be a great idea. Maybe call it 'APUG Personal Print Exchange' or something. I have lots of great images that I would love to share with fellow PUGgers and would love to exchange prints on a 1 to 1 basis. I would love to start a personal collection of other photographers that make beautiful images but don't have the name or the dollar to go along with it. I'm psyched. Let's do it.

Sean
11-09-2007, 04:09 AM
I can create this as a member organized function, j would you like to run the subforum for this?

JBrunner
11-11-2007, 02:50 PM
What do you guys think? would this be enough of a guideline set to get started?

Suggestions?

Guidelines:

Post a print that you wish to trade. Please indicate the size, process, media, if and how it is mounted, and any other pertinent information, and perhaps an indication of somebody you might like to trade with, if you have a preference.

Persons interested in trading may post their offering for a print in reply, with similar information.

Remember, a trader may have only one print of an edition to trade, and so may have to make a tough decision. If your offering is not chosen, it don't take it personally, as it isn't an indictment of your work. Perhaps they have been trying to get a print from a particular photographer, only collect contact prints, or any other of a zillion reasons.

Individuals are responsible for their own shipping costs respectively.

I would especially encourage more advanced printers to make their work available to mentor and inspire our future generation of analog printers.

In case of a deadbeat, please account for the vagaries of various postal systems, and make a reasonable effort to contact the other party. If there is no resolution after that, PM me and I will help to figure it out. Remember, some persons aren't online 24/7 , including me.

Jean Noire
11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
This seems reasonable.
One thing that has crossed my mind is copyright, not just for this topic but generally. When a print is exchanged/bought does the original owner give up all rights to the future use of the image?
Clearly laws will differ across the globe.
Regards,
John.

JBrunner
11-11-2007, 03:50 PM
This seems reasonable.
One thing that has crossed my mind is copyright, not just for this topic but generally. When a print is exchanged/bought does the original owner give up all rights to the future use of the image?
Clearly laws will differ across the globe.
Regards,
John.

No,

Copyright remains with the creator, unless otherwised licensed.

Christopher Walrath
11-11-2007, 04:22 PM
O.K. What about those that make great images but don't print them themselves?

Jean Noire
11-11-2007, 04:22 PM
In that case what you have proposed seems sweet to me.
Regards,
John.

clay
11-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I CAN NEVER SEEM TO GET THE LOCAL CONTRAST IN A PRINT TO LAND EXACTLY WHERE I WANT.. I MEAN, I'VE TRIED PRE-BLEACHING, POST-BLEACHING, SPLIT-TONING, EVERYTHING, AND BAMMO! NADA. AND WHAT IS WITH THE CURLY WAY THAT FIBER PRINTS DRY ON MY SCREEN. HOLY COW, THEY ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS WHEN THEY FINISH DRYING. AND DUST! DON'T GET ME STARTED ON DUST. HOLY GEEZOMOLY. DOES IT LOOK LIKE I HAVE ALL DAY JUST TO SPEND SPOTTING PRINTS. AND WHAT IS WITH THE DEVELOPER OXIDATION?

Oh, wait.

This is a thread about print trades. I thought the title was print tirades.

Never mind.

Mateo
11-11-2007, 07:08 PM
I think this is a great idea.

Clay- I've learned to put my latte down before reading anything you write. I had to clean my monitor after an incident while reading your post on that lens design thing.

JBrunner
11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
O.K. What about those that make great images but don't print them themselves?

I'm seeing this as a place for persons to trade analog prints, respecting the charter of APUG, so it wouldn't be appropriate to offer inkjets or other sorts of hybrid work, like lab printed Chromira/Lightjet, digi neg contacts, or other hybrid processes involving some digital intermediary.

Salgado, for instance, does not make his own prints, but works closely with a very good printer to achieve his aims. I would certainly trade him for a print. Just simply disclose complete information when you offer the print. So long as the print is a wet process analog print, I see no problem.

I will add this to the guidelines when the forum is set up.

CPorter
12-13-2007, 01:07 AM
I was parusing through some threads and came across this suggestion to trade prints. I think this an excellant idea. But I have no way of posting a photograph at this time for anyone to see and decide if they may want one. Still, I'm excited about the possibility of doing so.

Chuck

photo8x10
12-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Great Idea... I'm waiting for this possibility of doing so....

Stefano

Sean
12-13-2007, 04:40 AM
I have created the print trades subforum. Jason is setup as the moderator :)

matti
12-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I really like this idea. I just need to print something _worthy_ first...
/matti

Gary Holliday
12-14-2007, 02:39 PM
How much individual trading does there exist through pm messaging?

JBrunner
12-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Some, I have traded a few, but I think this method may be much more active. I hope somebody out there wants to trade for "Spun Aluminium Lamp", most persons who have seen the real print have responded in a positive manner.

(Chuck, I've got an old AGFA Dou 1200 scanner, but it is scuzzi, can you use that?)