PDA

View Full Version : Emulsion Sensativity Question

Stephen Frizza
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I own and operate a small pro lab in Sydney australia.
Many of my clients either travel overseas or are based over
seas and send their work to me. I have noticed a pattern relating to emulsions which I am hoping someone else may have noticed or have some idea as to
weather what I am noticing is coincidence or has a science behind it.

When I get mixtures of films including Black and white emulsions and colour E-6, C-41 emulsions I find if they have been exposed to a damaging level of X-rays
there is a trend for the black and whites to be damaged most often followed by lesser damage on the c-41 and then rarely on E-6.

This observation has made me wonder is this just a coincidence in my lab? or is there a science behind black and white emulsions being more sensitive to X-ray damage, c-41 less so and E-6 less so again?

If so can someone explain this too me? as ive noticed this pattern often.

~Steve Frizza
The Lighthouse Lab

boyooso
11-15-2007, 12:40 AM
What is the damage you see?

I imagine it is base fog on the B&W?

Corey

Stephen Frizza
11-15-2007, 01:56 AM
no X-ray damage from airports is usually a wavy fog. I will scan some late for those who have not seen it.

Kirk Keyes
11-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Mods- this post seems more like a general film question and not an emulsion making question, could this be moved?

Stephen Frizza
11-15-2007, 06:56 PM
I felt it best to ask to emulsion makers as they may know what variant causes this? i.e in terms of weather in emulsion manufacturing there is a reason behind my observation.