PDA

View Full Version : Casket sets, anyone?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Brian Bullen
12-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Ongarine, I look forward to seeing some images made with your lenses. It's odd that the waterhouse stop is near the front, is this to better correct a single element in the rear. I always thought the optimum place for a stop was in the middle of two elements. Any ideas?

ongarine
12-12-2007, 02:22 AM
Pardon me.
They are slightly biconvex, very light weight.
The place of the stops, very near of the front lens could also be used with a single lens in the back for portrait, as in the Bausch & Lomb Plastigmat Portrait, even if I doubt this casket set was for portraiture.
It seems to be used for very small format, maximum 9x12 centimeters.

Ole
12-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Well - here's one more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170176170243&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

I'll see what it's good for when I get it. :)

BTW - the same seller has one of those iris lens mounts. I wonder what it will end up at - at the moment there's 5 hours left to go, and it's already way above what any of mine have cost (included camera excluded)!

ongarine
12-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Ole, I have prepared the photo with comments of the same casket set you won...
I don't want your surprise broken:)
I will wait for your impressions, in the meantime I will post others information about casket set.

Ole
12-13-2007, 06:06 AM
That's fine, ongarine.

The website setup has hit an unexpected snag - I no longer have the email address I used when I registered it. So there's plenty of time, it seems! But keep the info coming, and we'll share a bottle of Amarone one day. Or maybe I Capitelli? :)

BTW, that iris lens mount went for $511. I may have to sell one of mine soon, with this kind of prices someone might start making them again!

Brian Bullen
12-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Ole, the same buyer paid $405 a week ago for another lens iris. Just a month ago they were going for $250. With these kind of prices I guess I lost my chance. I hope someone does begin making them and at a fair price.

Jim Noel
12-13-2007, 03:57 PM
The prices one person is paying for the adjustable iris lens holders reminds me of the time when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market and drove teh rice of silver from about $4 to almost $40 before they lost a huge amount.
Hopefully similar will happen to the current over bidder.

seawolf66
12-17-2007, 04:28 PM
the following company has a casket set for sale on E-BAY! [http://www.cameraeccentric.com/index.html] price when I looked was around
675.00 apprx:

Ole
12-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Yes, Seth usually has one or two. And information on some of them. He's a very helpful person, I've found! ;)

ongarine
12-18-2007, 09:03 AM
A little bit too optimistic about casket set performances ;)
Here another example of casket set with special qualities.
Not an Aplanat or rectilinear but an anastigmat with a French design of lenses, that means somenthing particular. French designers always made some littlle or huge change in exixting optic configuration.
This is Hermagis Trousse Aplanastigmatique n.5 and it consist of: 2 cells n. 5a, 1 cell n.6, 1 cell n.7
The focal lenghts are: No7=40 cm. (16in), No6=52cm. (20.5in), and No5a= 60cm (24in.) These are symmetrical anastigmats, 3+3 type and possibly Dagor or Collinear types
Maximum combined set of cells is 31 cm (12in), the apertures are both in millimeters and in "modern" aperture starting from f6,8 to 40.
Coverage is around 70 degrees wide open and 85/90 degrees stopped down similar to the Collinear, so a little bit less than some Dagors.
Single cells cover around 60 open and around 70/75 close.
Tested they are mellow wide open and increasing stops they became sharper when in combinations, single cells are very interesting for portaiture until for most of the apertures, after f 32 they became sharp.
I have also the Trousse Aplanastigmatique n.7 with 2x No7, plus one each of No 8 and 9 for foci from 12 cm (4.75in) combined to 40 cm. (16in.) single cell, usefull for 4x5.
For the N.5 I have bought two of them to have one complete and in good order, but this happened often with casket sets because during years some components were losted or missed in action.
So for all the owner of Busch's Unicum Aplanatsatz casket sets model C or similar I have to complete this or another, take note and send me a PM.

Ole
12-18-2007, 09:14 AM
I have also the Trousse Aplanastigmatique n.7 with 2x No7, plus one each of No 8 and 9 for foci from 12 cm (4.75in) combined to 40 cm. (16in.) single cell, usefull for 4x5.

Yes, I have one of those too... :)

Haven't tried it yet, since it arrived here after the light went south for the winter.

For the N.5 I have bought two of them to have one complete and in good order, but this happened often with casket sets because during years some components were losted or missed in action.
So for all the owner of Busch's Unicum Aplanatsatz casket sets model C or similar I have to complete this or another, take note and send me a PM.

In all the incomplete Aplanatsatz'es I have, there are no two with the same threads. Bugger. :(

ongarine
12-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Ole send me some photos with a rough measurements of threads of your incomplete Aplanatsatz so I will check and I will see if I will be lucky.
If you need the same please let me know.

gandolfi
12-19-2007, 10:30 AM
..so please inlighten me on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250197178861&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

what reason for the very high price? (1619$....)

brand?
coverage?

:confused:

Ole
12-19-2007, 10:47 AM
The only "special thing" I see with that one is that it's a 25 to 85cm instead of the more common 15 to 75cm.

Apart from that, I have absolutely no idea why it went over the top!

... Especially compared to this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290179482074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019)...

gandolfi
12-19-2007, 11:17 AM
... Especially compared to this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290179482074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019)...

:( eeh - I didn't see that one...

I have to learn to search better!

(on the other hand, I just got a nice casket from another place.. and not expensive either! :))

pictures as I get it...

gandolfi
12-22-2007, 07:16 AM
new casket set arrived today.

Apparently a Carl Zeiss set as it is written on the box, but no markers name on the set it self.

it sais: "reticlinear eccelsior" on the barrel.

lenses: 15- 25 - 35 - 45 - 55 - 65 - 75

anyone knows about this?

And I have no idea how to mix the lenses....:rolleyes:

but a nice looking set!
and not too expensive.

Ole
12-22-2007, 08:28 AM
It looks very much like one of the Vade-Mecum'y Aplanat Satz sets, like the one I showed in http://www.apug.org/forums/forum127/44783-casket-sets-anyone.html#post551662

Some files on the way to you. :)

gandolfi
06-01-2008, 05:32 AM
well two more sets on their way...

the one is called Haake & Albers with lenses from 25 to 75..

the second is called Gross Meteor aplanat set with 7 lenses and teo distance lenses.. very good condition.

Ole: is anything happening with the site?

Ole
06-01-2008, 08:52 AM
The site has been on hold for quite a while while I've concentrated on getting good at my new job. A few months before that I was about ready, then hit the problem with no longer having the email address I used to register it with, so I couldn't get access to approve moving it. When I checked just now that seems to have been resolved, so I'll continue with building the site as soon as I get my PC back from repairs. :(

Anyway, it's closer to launch than it's been in a long, long time!

In the meanwhile, my collection continues to grow slowly.

Here are some pictures of a Schulze & Billerbeck (often sold by and as Hugo Meyer) Euryplan Objektivsatz No. 2 für 9x12cm (borrowed from the seller):

Ole
06-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Oh by the way: One of my incomplete sets is a "Meteor" too.

They seem to have been made in great numbers by Ridenstock, and sold under a number of different "seller names". They are to all purposes identical with the Vade Mecum, and give similar focal lengths.

One odd thing is that all the tables of focal lengths and apertures for combinations of these sets that I have seen so far are all identical, and all incorrect! The tables are made on the "basic formula" of 1/F = 1/F1 + 1/F2, without correction for the cell spacing. Same with the apertures - fno = F/d, without correction for the difference between physical aperture and entrance pupil. The differences aren't that great with the longer combinations, but with 15+25 the differnce is significant. Even the focal length is visibly different depending on whether or not you use the spacers. :)

So that's one project: Using a good optical bench (AKA Carbon Infinity), I should be able to measure the location of the nodal points and thus come up with a corrected table of focal lengths and apertures for generic Vade Mecum/Meteor/Satzaplanat sets.