PDA

View Full Version : Casket sets, anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Ole
08-19-2008, 06:38 PM
At last, a preliminary version of the site is up.

It took a while to get the site moved to my "regular" web host, since I didn't have the email address I used for registering the domain. Then my computer crashed, and I lost what I had. Then I got a new computer, but...

And work. It always comes up at the wrong time! But now I've got my revenge - I've used an hour of work time to put together a preliminary site. :)

The next step is to do it properly, using something better for the job than MS Word.
And include pages for technical information, pictures shot with casket sets, formulas, old advertisements, get some detail pictures of some of them, get pictures of a Protar Satz, more information, a mail link/guestbook kind of thing, and...

http://www.casket-set.com

Jerevan
08-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Looked at the site, Ole. Seems like a very good start!

Now for a question: does the french word "trousse" imply that a lens is convertible?

Ole
08-22-2008, 03:38 AM
Since "trousse" means "case" or "casket", I would think there's a very high probability of that. :D

Jerevan
08-22-2008, 04:01 AM
C'est bien! Good to know. :)

BlueLemon
09-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I have received a few goodies today from England. It contained a casket set in a small leather purse along with a dallmeyer + an unmarked brass lens.

Can you help me identify these small gems ?

I all 3 types of lenses

Claus

http://www.bluelemon.dk/casket.jpg

Ole
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Let's start with the "easy" one: The "unknown" is most likely a Rapid Rectilinear, and is probably British or French from the aperture steps. "22" and "44" is unlikely to be German, they would either use "22" and "45" or "23" and "45". Or Stolze. British manufacturers were more likely to use the infamous "AU" (Arbitrary Units", which is why I include France as a possible origin. Focal length is then likely to be around 9" or 240mm.

The Dallmeyer? No idea really, especially not when I'm at work in the North Sea without a lens library. F:10 is similar to what many landscape lenses have, but this doesn't look like a landscape lens. Could it be a Periskop? Or an "unnamed Rectilinear"? I think the "UR" is most likely. ;)

Then the casket set:

I assume that the "6", "14", and two times "20" comes from markings on the cells?

If so, I think that would have to be the focal length in inches: Most metric sets only go down to 150mm (or 15cm), since anything shorter than that won't be useable in combination with another cell. Since 150mm is about 6", it makes sense that it's a 6" cell.

a 14" front and a 6" rear would give about 4.2" combined focal length, quite within the useable range for an "uncorrected" wide angle Rectilinear. 14" rear and 20" front ends up at 8.2", again quite a useful focal length. And of course 2x20" is 10"; quite within the capabilities of most small cameras.

That 17mm thingy - does that consist of two short empty tubes? If so that's a spacer set, to be used in the "normal" configuration, and removed when extra wide coverage is needed. One goes on front of the barrel, the other one on the rear.

Given the markings in inches, a British maker is again most likely.

gandolfi
09-24-2008, 01:43 PM
claus: the casket set has a name as far as I know (?)

BlueLemon
09-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Ole & Emil

Yes it has a name - forgot to mention

Primus No. 1

// Ole - the 17mm thingy does contain of two tubes. most likely the inner is approx 7mm and the outer is 10mm

does this make sense

claus

Ole
09-24-2008, 02:49 PM
"Primus"... That looks like a Perken son & Rayment name. Could someone with the Vade Mecum look that up? :D

JLP
09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
According the VM, Optimus is used as a name on many of the Perken son & Rayment lenses.
Primus does not come up doing a search on the VM.

jan

Correction, Primus was a trade name for Beck and the name Beck was not on the lenses sold as Primus.
A double Aplanat casket set is listed so it is possibly a Beck you have acuired.

Ole
09-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks. I must have been thinking of Optimus. Was Primus a Beck name - since you have VM available? ;)

JLP
09-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Looks like Primus Beck was a trade name only and not a part of the company name R & J Beck

gandolfi
09-15-2010, 09:54 AM
:)

just got one...

But I don't know anything about it. The VM doesn't mention a lot (just "several"), and the one description is dated much later than this one must be, as the Jamin name is written on it.

Original case - "secret" compartment in the lid where the original flange and a front plate was hiding..

beautiful condition.
Compleate as I can tell.

on the lens is written "B" and "PORTRAIT" - on the base of the barrel it says "A".

I am almost sure the Portrait "mode" is a petzval...

6 extra lenses to combine - 8 waterhouse stops.

Anybody know about this kind of set?

jimgalli
09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
:)

just got one...

But I don't know anything about it. The VM doesn't mention a lot (just "several"), and the one description is dated much later than this one must be, as the Jamin name is written on it.

Original case - "secret" compartment in the lid where the original flange and a front plate was hiding..

beautiful condition.
Compleate as I can tell.

on the lens is written "B" and "PORTRAIT" - on the base of the barrel it says "A".

I am almost sure the Portrait "mode" is a petzval...

6 extra lenses to combine - 8 waterhouse stops.

Anybody know about this kind of set?

Wow! That's the sweetest casket set I've ever seen bar none! Does the piece that says portrait effectively lengthen the barrel, ie. when it's in Portrait (petzval) mode, it has that piece to make the barrel longer, and when it's in regular mode with some of the aplanat components, the barrel is shorter?

gandolfi
09-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Wow! That's the sweetest casket set I've ever seen bar none! Does the piece that says portrait effectively lengthen the barrel, ie. when it's in Portrait (petzval) mode, it has that piece to make the barrel longer, and when it's in regular mode with some of the aplanat components, the barrel is shorter?

hi Jim.
yes, I think so, but I have to check it closer... I'll get back asap..

gandolfi
09-15-2010, 04:52 PM
hi again:
just checked, and yes, the markings "Portrait" is actually a part of the petzval parts - and that makes the portrait longer than in "landscape" mode...

the 5 cells (beautifully made!!) have numbers on them:

F:11
F:17
F:27
F:38
F:38

the sixth one looke slightly different - has no numbers, and looks like a cell to be put at the back of the barrel (?)

8 watehouse stops with the numbers:

2-5-6-7-12-15-18-29 (maybe millimeters? the biggest numbers has the biggest hole)

AmandaTom
03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
I have 3 casket sets, two of which will cover 4x5 and 5x7. The third is a puzzler. No brand name, bayonet mount, waterhouse stops (has a complete set in the original purple-leather-lined case!), and 6 elements. I am having a flange made for it right now so have not been able to test it. I do know that the barrel is labeled No 6 which I hope means it will cover 8x10, as my other sets are No 3. Each element is paired with a sleeve numbered 2,3,4, and 5. Numbers 6 and 7 have no sleeve and appear to be for the back of the lens since they are gunmetal grey and the other parts are shiny brass. They are nearly 6cm in diameter, so quite large, and no indication of focal length. Of course no instructions.

Anyone care to speculate? And does anyone think it may cover 8x10?