PDA

View Full Version : DVD of making and coating

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Emulsion
01-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Sounds great PE. I'm looking forward to making a purchase! I am not able to attend one of your workshops and this sounds like a good alternative for me.
Emulsion.

ben-s
01-09-2008, 03:53 AM
Great to hear that you're making good progress. Good luck with the edit.

...as I go through the footage (meterage?)...

Odd one that. It's often struck me as interesting that "footage" still seems to be the word of choice, whether you're shooting DV or 35mm... and regardless of whether you're in a metric or imperial environment.

Photo Engineer
01-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Wel, what I am trying to do now is integrate the DVD with the Lab portion of the book, so that you can go to either and cross reference what you are seeing or reading. This is not as easy as it sounds, but I am trying to organize this 'mess'.

PE

Jim Fitzgerald
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Ron, as one who loves to print on Azo I can't wait to get this. The mad scientist thing is something I need to try!

Jim

Curt
01-23-2008, 07:28 PM
This is what I was asking on the AZO thread, I have to admit I haven't looked at the this forum before now. I can see that you are right on top of the DVD and instructions. Good luck, looking forward to seeing it and the book.
Curt

My correction, I was looking at one thread and saw that I did make a comment. I'll have to pay more attention, this is an interesting forum.

Photo Engineer
01-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Final editing starts next Monday and will take 3 days. There are 2 scenes to shoot/reshoot.

I've devised a method to cross index the text to the DVD and to give highlight still photos in the text from the DVD. Still working on it. Why do you think I'm on APUG so much? ;) I'm working on word and video files.

PE

projectbluebird
01-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Put me down for one as well!

It's hard enough for me to buy bulk film as it is, but I'd be willing to plunk down some dollars for the book and DVD. I've been combing through the various threads with avid interest as I was only recently made aware of the efforts of PE and others. FWIW, a possible ASA of 40-80 on film would be very useful and I'm sure some dedicated soul will be able to make something usable from that tantalizing high speed recipe. I know there's tons of information I still need to learn, and even more that will take experimentation. I'm not sure I'll ever catch up to the rest of you, but I hope I won't be too far behind.

Keep up the great work PE, you're an inspiration!

Photo Engineer
01-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Well, after one full day of trying to move proprietary Sony HDTV into Roxio V10, we had to give up. HDV Split to the rescue. It turns the proprietary Sony files into an M2T file that Roxy understands. The Sony file is not true M2T file, even if the extension is the same, and so you get no sound at all.

After that it was smooth sailing. Ahahahahaha. No, it was not.

It was grueling and after working all day (we still have about 2 more hours today), the file is so big I have to create a DVD of just 20 minutes of HDTV. It probably will require 3 DVDs for the information in 3 sections. One is introduction to coating, another is simple Azo type emulsion making and the third is film making and materials testing. But we are making progress.

Thanks for all of your interest.

PE

Photo Engineer
01-29-2008, 06:33 PM
BTW, with 47 responses, and part of them my answers to questions or updates, this gives me a very very tiny market. Has anyone taken note of this fact? Out of 20,000+ members, probably less than 0.2% are interested in this type of work.

PE

jgjbowen
01-29-2008, 06:41 PM
PE,

You should probably also post this on the Large Format forum. I doubt the 35mm or color crowd have any interest in this. I think those of us that shoot LF and are interested in alternative processes are your main group of potential customers.

Photo Engineer
01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
John;

Thanks, but my schedule is full enough and I figure that most everyone on LFF are members here.

PE

David A. Goldfarb
01-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Lots of people lurk on any forum, but they still buy books and do things. I would regard the number of posts in the thread as an indicator of anything.

Paul Cocklin
01-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I'll be buying one. Can't wait to get it, thanks, PE for doing it. I hope you make a bundle... :)

projectbluebird
01-30-2008, 01:37 AM
PE,
I doubt the 35mm or color crowd have any interest in this.

Some of us do. I will likely start with MF, but I do eventually want to move into 35mm. The biggest problem, aside from making the emulsion itself, appears to be perfing the film, but I've got a few ideas on that already. So many projects, so little time. ;)

What I'd really like to do is make some films in formats that aren't available anymore.

snowblind
01-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I doubt the 35mm or color crowd have any interest in this.

We may all need to have an interest in this some day if we want to use any kind of film at all. I will buy a copy also.

jgjbowen
01-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I apologize if I came across as condescending, but for the life of me, I can't imagine spending the time and energy necessary to coat my own 35mm film. My hats off to those of you willing to undertake that challenge. I pray I'll never have to coat my own 8x10 or 7x17 film, but the thought of an "Azo Like" paper is intriguing and the longer it takes Michael Smith to bring Lodima to market, the more likely I am to try to coat my own 8x20 so I can print my ULF negatives.

280hpwrx
01-30-2008, 08:55 PM
It was grueling and after working all day (we still have about 2 more hours today), the file is so big I have to create a DVD of just 20 minutes of HDTV. It probably will require 3 DVDs for the information in 3 sections. One is introduction to coating, another is simple Azo type emulsion making and the third is film making and materials testing. But we are making progress.

PE

I've been reading this thread with great interest. Looking forward to the DVDs...

CH

projectbluebird
01-31-2008, 12:01 AM
John, I'm sure you meant no offense, and none was taken. You're right though, at the moment there is still a wide selection of 35mm film available with quality, quantity, and consistency that far exceeds that of which I would be capable of in my basement. But, I also like film, and I'm young enough that I might still be alive when commercial 35mm film is no longer produced. So by learning now, I'm hedging my bets for the future. Should that day come, I might be one of those people selling film out of my basement. (or at least selling 35mm stock, I had a few ideas on automating my perfing machine. If I can refine my scribbles into something readable, I might post them here.)

Never hurts to have the option.

Emulsion
01-31-2008, 01:23 AM
"I had a few ideas on automating my perfing machine. If I can refine my scribbles into something readable, I might post them here.)
Never hurts to have the option."[/QUOTE]

Regarding the perf machine. Did you know that several companies sell already perforated 35mm film base. Polyester or Tri-acetate. This is used as motion picture film leader. It can be purchased in very long lengths.

This company appears to have clear leader at $20/1000ft
http://www.moviola.com/J&R045TradCatalog2003.pdf

Here are some others:
http://www.dancan.dk/Orwo%202006%20-%20May.pdf
http://www.modernsoundpictures.com/NEUMADE-FilmLeader-2002.html

On the subject of perforators there are some patents for the excellent Bell and Howell perforators available via the Google patents web site.

Emulsion.

Photo Engineer
01-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Coating 35mm film especially with perfs, is a very very difficult job. You would have to buy wider film, coat it and then slit it and perf it.

PE