PDA

View Full Version : DVD of making and coating

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Photo Engineer
07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes. Timely post.

Shooting on part 2 of the DVD starts Monday the 4th of August at about 7 PM. Everything is ready except me and my darkroom. I just ran several experiments and have to clean things up this weekend.

I hate washing dishes.

PE

Removed Account
07-31-2008, 01:03 AM
I hate washing dishes.

PE

I'd think that dried-up gelatin is a real PITA to scrub off...

jgjbowen
07-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks PE

Yeah, those dishes are a PITA

Photo Engineer
07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
The trick is to store dirty glassware and SS in water so the gelatin does not dry off. Even so, they are hard to clean. You see, you cannot clean things up after coating as the coatings are hanging to dry so the glassware has to stay dirty for 24 hours until I can package the coatings.

PE

dwross
08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Yes. Timely post.

Shooting on part 2 of the DVD starts Monday the 4th of August at about 7 PM. Everything is ready except me and my darkroom. I just ran several experiments and have to clean things up this weekend.

I hate washing dishes.

PE

Ron,

Congratulations on what I know is a lot of just plain hard work.

Make sure you let us know asap after you finish. With your permission, I'd like to advertise its availability on The Light Farm. We are slowing putting together a very decent body of emulsion-making information and your contribution to the field (free or otherwise) is eagerly awaited.

Warmest regards,
Denise

Photo Engineer
08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Denise;

Thanks. I have shown Part I of the DVD to Bud. Maybe he would care to make some comments here about the progress so far. He has also seen parts of the draft of the book, but really has not read it over, he just had time to glance at it and get a sense of how it would look with graphs and photos.

PE

Photo Engineer
08-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Well, just finished 1.5 hours of taping. It will probably give us a 45 minute segment after editing. The subject was UF washing an emulsion.

Tomorrow we do a dual run emulsion. That should wrap part 2 of the DVD for about 1.5 hours of run time.

PE

Photo Engineer
08-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Just finished about 45 minutes demonstrating pumped making of emulsions using peristaltic pumps.

Wed and Thurs, I'll review the raw footage and plan any reshoots or additional scenes. Editing for part II is planned to start on Saturday and finish Sunday.

Disk I will be basics and run about 1.5 hours in 4 parts. Disk 2 will be about 1 hour and consist of 2 parts as planned, but may be longer or have more parts.

PE

Kirk Keyes
08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Please include details like pump info and how you hooked them up and controled them. It's the kind of thing where someone may be able to get the same equipment, but if they don't, the details provided will help with researching how to hook up what they do get.

Kirk

Photo Engineer
08-09-2008, 10:10 PM
The pumped making shows single and dual pumped makes as well as a third head and / or secondary pump. It will show methods to reduce pulsations and methods to use different types of tubing and how to calibrate the pump.

The washing will show how to wash an emulsion using a plate and frame millipore filter of 20 - 60 KD porosity and tips on how to clean and preserve the filter. It will show operation of the pump within safe limits and the time required for washing including the concept of turnovers.

This all will be expanded in the book. At present, nothing from DVD 2 is in the first draft of the book, nor is the most advanced version of my ISO 40 emulsion. The rewrite of the book will include the latest emulsion, this washing information and other advanced information that I have been working on in the lab.

PE

Photo Engineer
08-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Just to prove I've been working on your behalf, here is a shot of the entire pump setup with UF membrane. The red tubing with black plastic and stainelss fittings near my right hand is the high temperature, high pressure tubing for input at 60 PSI and 40 deg C. The red tubing in the background there is the failed experiment using a poly propylene tubing bridge which failed during the experiment.

You can see the plate and frame UF membrane in my left hand, and you see the entire pump setup in the middle of the picture.

This represents one frame in nearly 2 hours of taping for part #2 of the DVD which is devoted to advanced techniques.

It is taped in HDTV and hopefully will justify the work that went into it!

PE

Kirk Keyes
08-12-2008, 01:02 AM
That looks great.

The UF filter looks like what I used to use for ion scrubbing our eluent in a ion chromatograph. It had sodium carbonate coming in one side and sulfuric acid in the other, and as the liquids went past each other, the H+ from the acid would cross over the membrane and the Na+ would come over and get flushed out with the acid solution as it left the membrane cartridge.

Photo Engineer
08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, DVD II took longer to edit than I thought due to the schedule of the videographer, and the difficulty of intercutting some of the scenes. In any event, when completed, we found an error in two titles so that they read incorrectly when run. So, Monday we have to re-edit the titles and then finally burn the disk.

As it stands now, DVD I consists of 4 parts with an introduction, making an Azo type emulsion and coating it, making an ISO 40 emulsion, and testing the coatings. The running time is about 1.5 hours and occupies about 4 G. DVD II consists of 2 parts including UF washing and pumped making. The latter part is so complex, I did not actually make an emulsion, I did everything in the light doing a "water run" as we often did at EK with complex makes so that we had a dress rehearsal so to speak. I wanted everything to be crystal clear and that required taping in the light. The running time of the second DVD is about 1 hour and occupies about 3G.

So, almost there. I thought you might like a summary and an update. I've included a photo from the pumped making segment in which I am using dual pump heads. It was the last segment to be completed.

PE

Photo Engineer
08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Well, DVD 2 was finshed at about 11:30 last night. I burned a second copy today and backed up the files. Now, it is back to the book and the lab to upgrade formulas and take some detailed stills of some of the lab practices and setups described in the DVD.

Wish me luck. :D

PE

Kirk Keyes
08-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Good luck! We're all eagerly awaiting the release. Any ideas when that will be? Xmas time? Sooner?

Photo Engineer
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Kirk;

It depends on the book more than anything else. Of course, workshop students can get along well with the DVD without the book, just by using class notes so I might consider a "special" for students. Look for an e-mail if that is workable.

PE

Kirk Keyes
08-27-2008, 12:23 AM
I think I would want the full package - book and DVD. Just to have them both in my library, you know.

Wyno
08-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi Ron,
would you have any problems with me purchasing a copy and using for educational purposes with the students at the Tertiary institution I work at. Would you need an extra payment to cover copyright? Please let me know if you have concerns about this and how we could iron them out.
Thanks in advance
Mike Wynd

Photo Engineer
08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Mike;

I've never given it a thought. I'll consider it.

PE

rmazzullo
11-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Hello PE....

I was just wondering if you can give us an update your DVD / book.
Thanks,

Bob M.