PDA

View Full Version : APUG Ireland Exhibition

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

thefizz
12-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Good stuff, of course if anyone else knows of any galleries or good suppliers of mounts & frames, let us know.

dferrie
12-18-2007, 06:07 AM
@Everyone else
I was thinking we could base the exhibition around the trips we did together this year [or next] and/or the workshops we ran. That gives plenty of scope and also gives a sort of direction i.e. showing what we achieved as a group. We could run a few more early in the new year.

Any thoughts on that?

That sounds like a good idea, I suppose the only downside is that it might exclude some of the other APUG members who expressed an interest in exhibiting with us.

Would it be an idea to try "pencil" in some dates for the next outing?

David

Rafal Lukawiecki
01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
I would provisionally like to join in, but it will depend on dates and the theme. If the theme is Irish, I would not have much to show yet. Most of my stuff is landscape covering American canyons and deserts or bleak Polish winters. I'm planning to work on my surroundings this spring and summer. I guess I can try joining you next year, too.

melball
01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm Ok with helping this end.

As far as themes go, if we base it on our trips my entry might be a bit lean (unless I disappear back to the copper coast).

I'll also need a heads up on what it's going to cost as I'm a bit skint (until I get that new job that is going to pay me lots of dosh!).

Are we going to go looking for sponsorship?

Mel

Síle
01-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Kilkenny?

It's about 2 hour from Wicklow, 2 & 1/2 from Meath, an hour from Laois and 2 & 1/2 from Cork ..

You've got the medieval castle (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Kilkenny_Castle_cropped_version.jpg), (covered by our heritage cards).. Dunmore caves (http://www.travelsinireland.com/cave/dunmore.htm), Smithwicks Brewery, Rothe house (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Kilkenny_Rothe_House.JPG) the Town Hall, Butter slip and other lanes and lots more.. Might give us all some inspiration for the exhibition :D

Just a thought..

Síle

dferrie
01-04-2008, 05:10 AM
Don't forget that there is also Jerpoint Abbey (about 15-20 minutes from Kilkenny) also covered by Heritage cards, and St.Mary's in Gowran.

David

mmcclellan
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I've got lots of Celtic monastery stuff to show (all 4x5) and would love to join in, depending on time and dates. :) But, sadly, I cannot submit anything from a trip as I never had the pleasure of joining you folks, although Peter and I did a couple on our own.

dferrie
01-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Well as far as I'm concerned your trips with Peter count, there have been trips where not all the APUG Ireland members attended, I missed the last trip to Waterford :(

David

thefizz
01-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Having spent the weekend at our workshop in Airfield, I spoke with the person in charge of exhibitions and she is very keen on having an Apug/Ireland group exhibition. I am happy to go with Airfield and Catherine said she is working on a venue in Cork. Two weeks in each venue has been suggested but open for debate.

September has been mentioned but I need to confirm this with Airfield soon as they are booked up to July at present. There is no charge to exhibit but Airfield take a 25% commission on any sales which to my knowledge is very reasonable. They also want us to do a talk to open the exhibition so we might find a well known photographer for that. Airfield can hang roughly 40 prints. So if we get 10 people, we only need to prepare 4 prints each etc.

1) This thread has been up a while so can I suggest a cut off date of February 15th for signing up?

2) Is everyone happy with Airfield or have they checked out other Dublin venues they prefer?

3) Would Catherine and Mel check out Sirius in Cork?

Peter

Fintan
01-30-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm in and happy with Airfield and with two weeks.

Do we pay for the opening night? Drink and the Guest Opener?

mmcclellan
01-30-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm in if "honorary Irish" may apply. :) I can easily DHL four prints in 16" x 20" mounts and PayPal the costs for framing, fees, etc. Might even attend if it's up in September!

This is exciting, folks! My photos will be of Skellig Michael and other monastic sites, with a possible tombstone shot I did with Peter on one of our trips (that should qualify!). I'm also happy to chip in on any opening night costs or help out as I can from Ethiopia.

Thanks for all the good work on this and I hope Sirius pulls through in Cobh. Thanks, eveyone!

Síle
01-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Ok.. I'm in.. this is just the shove I need to get the darkroom (darkshed??) finished.. and if not someone might join me in renting out the Airfield darkroom for a day?

Great to have you on board too Michael :)

Síle

Fintan
01-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Just want to moot a suggestion to you guys. In the spirit of APUG being a global home for analog photography I want to propose that we base the exhibition on the work of 10 APUG/Ireland photographers, using 3 prints from each. Then a further 10 photographs from photographers with strong associations with Ireland, now overseas.

Depending on the level of interest from these overseas photographers we can decide how many each can submit to us i.e. if 5 are interested then two prints each etc.

Any views on this?

Fintan

Síle
01-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Just want to moot a suggestion to you guys. In the spirit of APUG being a global home for analog photography I want to propose that we base the exhibition on the work of 10 APUG/Ireland photographers, using 3 prints from each. Then a further 10 photographs from photographers with strong associations with Ireland, now overseas.

Depending on the level of interest from these overseas photographers we can decide how many each can submit to us i.e. if 5 are interested then two prints each etc.

Any views on this?

Fintan

I have absolutely no problem with it to be honest, although if interest is high the most difficult task will be deciphering what constitutes "Strong associations with Ireland"?

Or will it be similar to the Irish football team.. If your Grannies next door neighbour has an Irish setter.. you qualify?

:confused:

Síle

Jon King
01-30-2008, 04:14 PM

Any views on this?

Fintan

I have a few Irish images that I think are quite presentable from many hikes I took a couple a years ago, mostly north of Galway or in Co. Wicklow. The opportunity to have them in an Irish APUG show would be exciting!

thefizz
01-30-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't mind as long as the locals are given the opportunity to commit first. Whatever room is left by February 15th can be divided amongst the overseas members.

I would also hope that all participants would make the effort to attend either of the Dublin or Cork openings.

Peter

fluffy_penguins
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM

Any views on this?

Fintan

Good idea. I think priority should be to Irish photographers, second priority to photographers living/working in Ireland (penguins fall into this category) and third priority to internationals with a strong connection to Ireland.

Something to start thinking about as you work on your prints is an artist's statement, something Airfield (and most galleries) are keen on. I have some bookmarks on writing an artist's statement as I think it can be quite intimidating if you've never done one before. I'll dig 'em out and add 'em on to the thread.

As for expressions of interest -- count me in!

Cath.

fluffy_penguins
01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Okay, here are a few links:

http://www.ceramicsmonthly.org/mustreads/artist.asp
http://www.mollygordon.com/resources/marketingresources/artstatemt/
http://www.eciad.ca/wc/artstate.htm

I've found these three articles very helpful. Have fun!

C.

thefizz
01-30-2008, 05:21 PM
We also need a title.

Any suggestions?

dferrie
01-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Something to start thinking about as you work on your prints is an artist's statement, something Airfield (and most galleries) are keen on.

How about "I went, I photographed, I printed and I like it" as statement, too flowery/verbose I can try shorten it ;)

Anyhow count me in.

As a matter of interest are we restricting this to B+W or will colour be acceptable too?

David