PDA

View Full Version : APUG Ireland Exhibition

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

fluffy_penguins
01-30-2008, 11:47 PM
David, you crack me up! LOL That's pretty funny!

I think B/w or colour... I shoot alot of colour through my holga... plus there's all the tricks we learned last weekend with Tim, beeeeauuuuutiful toned prints that might have started out b/w that are now gorgeous shades of blue, or mushroom, or peach!

So my vote is either, as long as it's film!

mmcclellan
01-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Count me in, however you want to count me in. :)

The folks on the island, whatever their nationality, should have priority I would think. So I'm good for one photo or ten -- you decide.

But since Ireland and the Irish have always been part of a much larger world -- and Diaspora -- Ireland lovers abroad would like to be included to the extent we can.

So . . . . I stand ready to help, to chip in, and even to participate; whatever it takes to make an APUG Irleand exhibition a killer show! Thanks and good luck.

fluffy_penguins
01-31-2008, 02:03 AM
How about "I went, I photographed, I printed and I like it"

I can't resist... so .... you went. Where did you go? a castle? ruin? historic site? landscape? Why there? An interest in the history of the place? a memory ? Something else? Once you got there what did you photograph? Buildings? People? Tourists? Ocean? Did you shoot in b/w or colour? Why one over the other? Do you have a fave camera? What makes it a fave? How does it feel when you shoot? What decisions are you making with choice of film, lens, camera? When you printed what were you hoping for? Did you achieve it? Were you listening to music as you printed? What music? Did it evoke something particular in the print for you?

C.

melball
01-31-2008, 02:10 AM
HaHa

Count me in guys.

Fluffy, I'll be invading your darkroom and picking your brains on printing. I'm off to the Rugby this weekend (Tuesday Adrian came home with a big bouquet of flowers, Wednesday he came home with tickets to Ireland v Italy :) :) :)...can't wait for tonight!) but we could try and meet up next weekend.

Mel

thefizz
01-31-2008, 03:14 AM
Tuesday Adrian came home with a big bouquet of flowers, Wednesday he came home with tickets to Ireland v Italy :) :) :)...can't wait for tonight! Mel

:o :o :o

Fintan
01-31-2008, 03:37 AM
LOL Mel, its your turn tonite, bring home a Hasselblad :D:D

I've a message from Dave Miller, he's included in the overseas list. Thanks Dave.

Overseas people can PM me if you prefer.

Fintan
01-31-2008, 03:57 AM
Anyhow count me in.

As a matter of interest are we restricting this to B+W or will colour be acceptable too?

David

Excellent David, anything analog goes. Not restricted to B+W, I can see why you though that, we shoot so much B+W.

I just thought of a silly title ... "No Pixels"

fluffy_penguins
01-31-2008, 04:10 AM
Hi gang,

Just gave a call over to Sirius. They'd like a CD of images and to know a little bit about the group. No one person curates, it's usually their arts officer, board, maybe a guest curator together. They will look at some representative images and be back in touch. We can then follow up on timing. I have all the details for where/how to submit. She did say they usually book at least a year or more ahead, but sometimes an opening arises. I told her a bit about us, and said we hoped to do this annually, so if this year doesn't work out perhaps, if they are interested, 2009 would be good?

Now, question is, can you send me dig images of a few of your prints? Alternatively, do you want to send work prints and I can put a box of prints together (although that will obviously take longer to compile). Low-resolution dig images are better, and my first instinct is that is the way to go, not only because that's how they prefer to receive images, but we can also follow up with paper if they like what they see,

Catherine

PS Mel... the darkroom is open! Come anytime!!!

fluffy_penguins
01-31-2008, 04:11 AM
Love the title!

Fintan
01-31-2008, 04:24 AM
"Standing Still"

dferrie
01-31-2008, 04:32 AM
I can't resist... so .... you went. Where did you go? a castle? ruin? historic site? landscape? Why there? An interest in the history of the place? a memory ? Something else? Once you got there what did you photograph? Buildings? People? Tourists? Ocean? Did you shoot in b/w or colour? Why one over the other?

Eh, look at the photograph? ;)

Do you have a fave camera? What makes it a fave? How does it feel when you shoot? What decisions are you making with choice of film, lens, camera? When you printed what were you hoping for? Did you achieve it? Were you listening to music as you printed? What music? Did it evoke something particular in the print for you?

Fluffy, don't get me wrong, I know where you are coming from but sometimes I just wish people would look at the finished article, it's there cause I like. If the person looking at it likes it too that's great, if not, well stop looking and move on.

The whole Artists statement, reminds me of once when I was in school, in english class we were given an assignment, we had to write about something that happened during the summer holidays, I'm sure we have all done it :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I wrote about night I went fishing a got a bite on the line, after a few minutes of reeling in and a bit of a fight from the fish, the fight stopped and I assumed I had lost the catch. Anyhow I reeled in my line, put the rod on my shoulder and started walking home in the dark. A dog came out a gate and started to follow me barking, I ignored it until it started jumping at the rod at which point I discovered the fish was still on the line. I submitted the story, I was out sick the day the teacher brought back the stories and I heard that he had read mine to the class explaining how it symbolised the internal struggle of a teenager and when you think all is lost that sometimes it takes somebody else to point out that its not. Well, the teacher then spoke to me and asked what I was thinking when I wrote it, was I feeling down, was I listening to music, yada yada yada. I answered honestly, that it was a story about going fishing, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I remember my teacher being disappointed that he didn't have a young George Orwell in his class, but he then went on to say that he did feel that sub-consciously I was writing about other things. I always remember his disappointment and feel, that if he got something different from the story, who am I to take that away from him?

I'm absolutely not precious about my photography and I'm probably my own biggest critic, it takes a LOT to get me to hand a photograph on the wall of my house, family and friends have always been pushing me to hang more of them. I would find it very difficult to call my self an artist, I take pictures. Some I like, others don't, some others like and I don't. I tend to prefer to let people look at the picture and decide if they like what they see.

I can of course understand them wanting to know where it was taken and if they are a photographer what equipment was used, fairly minimal information. It's the whole, what mood I was in etc that wrecks my head ;)

I suppose I tend to take the "here's a picture I took, I like it enough to show it to you, if you don't like it that's fine with me" approach. I take photographs for me, which is probably why I don't really show what I've taken, maybe not a very artistic approach, but that's just me, maybe if I was different I'd be a better photographer!

As I say, I know where you are coming from and have no problem with people looking at the more artistic side and the whole process, I guess it's something I need to work on.:)

David
The un-artistic one

Fintan
01-31-2008, 04:43 AM
We can easily do an "Artists except David Statement" :D

Seriously though without a formal theme, just sticking to shots taken in Ireland and having a group show, the statement will probably be more about us as a group and probably why we choose to shoot film as this is the main thing that binds us together on APUG.

dferrie
01-31-2008, 04:49 AM
We can easily do an "Artists except David Statement" :D

Cool, that might lower people's expectations of me! :D

David
Picture taker

Síle
01-31-2008, 06:08 AM
How about "An Seomra Dorcha"? Although I have a feeling we'd get more people to come if we called it Penguin erotica?

Jon and David it's great to see folks out of Ireland with such an enthusiasm, I took the liberty of taking a sneak peek at your galleries love both your Irish shots. Now all I need to do is find some of my own that I like as much :confused:

Síle

thefizz
01-31-2008, 07:35 AM
"Ireland on Film"?
"Visions of Ireland"?
"Analogue Ireland"?

fluffy_penguins
01-31-2008, 08:07 AM
what does an seomra dorcha translate as?

dferrie
01-31-2008, 08:26 AM
How about "Focus On Ireland" :D

Ok, tongue out of cheek, how about "Ireland from the darkroom". Have to say that I like "Ireland On Film"

David

fluffy_penguins
01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey David, I appreciate your take on doing a statement... (or not doing one as the case may be)... I'm generally in favour, mostly 'cos it gives your audience a little more insight into your work, or even your process and it's always something I take the time to look at when I'm at a gallery. Of course, I am really into being a hippy-dippy... so although I will procrastinate on writing I always enjoy it in the end. Either way, I'm really glad you're gonna join us in the show. I'm keen to see your work!

Cath.

fluffy_penguins
01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
My fave so far is "No Pixels"
Second fave "Ireland on Film"

Suggestion: "My Ireland" - kind of... um.... open?

Fintan
01-31-2008, 09:52 AM
"Airgead"

Gaelic for Silver (and money, i know i know)