PDA

View Full Version : APUG Ireland Exhibition

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

thefizz
01-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Seriously though without a formal theme, just sticking to shots taken in Ireland and having a group show, the statement will probably be more about us as a group and probably why we choose to shoot film as this is the main thing that binds us together on APUG.

Sounds right to me.

Jon King
01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
How about "An Seomra Dorcha"?

A name that shows ( I won't say illuminate in the darkroom:p) what is different about the photos.

Jon and David it's great to see folks out of Ireland with such an enthusiasm, I took the liberty of taking a sneak peek at your galleries love both your Irish shots. Now all I need to do is find some of my own that I like as much :confused:

SíleSíle, thank you, and I'm sure have many worthy photos. We are often our own worst critics.

Fintan, Peter, and all: It is a very generous offer to even consider non-inhabitants, whatever the conditions end up being. If I can't make the opening, I have a cousin in Dublin who everyone says is the spittin' image of me. I'll try to teach him the finer points of the American accent :rolleyes:

Síle
01-31-2008, 10:54 AM
what does an seomra dorcha translate as?

Fluffy.. Seomra Dorcha = Darkroom

How about "The exhibition formerly known as all except David"? It has a certain ring to it ..

Thanks Jon, but I have to ask... there are finer points to the American accent?? :confused:

Síle

Rafal Lukawiecki
02-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Please count me in, if you have the space, if I qualify, and if I can submit even though I will be away all Sept - I am off to travel the often photographed deserts of US Southwest. I'm Polish but away from there for the last 18 years... Last few in Wicklow.

"Silver Ireland"? Sorry colour people... :-)

Rafal

PS. I guess I should make my darkroom available to someone who fancies team work near the slopes of the Little Sugar Loaf one day. The set-up is for 4x5.

thefizz
02-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Hi Rafal,

You are very welcome to take part in the exhibition. Looking forward to meeting you.

Peter

fluffy_penguins
02-01-2008, 03:09 AM
Hi Rafal, I'm glad you're gonna join us. I've only been here a little over a year, myself!
For anyone down in Cork, my darkroom is also open. I haven't decided whether I'll submit b/w or colour...

I'm working on two fun projects at the moment that might have potential. One is pringles pinhole images of Cork. The other is an experimental series about childhood.

C.

dferrie
02-01-2008, 03:51 AM
Hi Rafal,

Great to hear you are joining the artists and me ;)

That's 3 of us from the Garden of Ireland! Your darkroom sounds great, unfortunately I'm shooting 35mm & MF so it's out of my league.:(

David

dferrie
02-01-2008, 03:52 AM
All,

Do we have any ideas for date(s) for the exhibition?

I'm hoping to be able to use some shots from the workshop with Les around St.Patrick's weekend.

David

fluffy_penguins
02-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Hi David, I think we are hoping September/October 2008.

I will need some sample images to submit to Sirius Arts Center if we want to show there. They need an idea of the kind of work we do in order to commit. There are 3 or 4 other Cork galleries we can approach if we do not get into Sirius for this year. Do you have anything in the dferrie archives that would be appropriate for me to include in our package to Sirius?

Catherine

thefizz
02-01-2008, 08:08 AM
I bought a new A3 size scanner recently so I can finally scan my prints :)

I will try to install it soon and get some scans to you Catherine. That may take longer than the average guy as technology and me don't mix so well :mad: and I'm not joking :rolleyes:

dferrie
02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi David, I think we are hoping September/October 2008.

I will need some sample images to submit to Sirius Arts Center if we want to show there. They need an idea of the kind of work we do in order to commit. There are 3 or 4 other Cork galleries we can approach if we do not get into Sirius for this year. Do you have anything in the dferrie archives that would be appropriate for me to include in our package to Sirius?

Catherine

Catherine,

I flick through the archives, I've been meaning to scan all my negs, now I have a reason to make me do it. I intend shooting a lot of film with Les so I'm hoping that I'll get a few from the weekend that I'd be happy (well happy might be to strong a word ;)) to show. Do you need stuff for Sirius before the end of March?

David

fluffy_penguins
02-01-2008, 10:18 AM
David, I would say yes for the Sirius pix, we need 'em as soon as realistically possible, if only because they book their space well ahead of time. End of March I think would be too late. Don't sweat it if you don't have anything quite right just yet, I am under the impression that this is just an initial "screening" of sorts to make sure that we are serious (LOL ... she hasn't met me in person yet...).

Peter, that's great news about the scanner! This means, of course, that you can scan prints for your website! Coolio!!!

C.

Rafal Lukawiecki
02-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Rafal,

Great to hear you are joining the artists and me ;)

That's 3 of us from the Garden of Ireland! Your darkroom sounds great, unfortunately I'm shooting 35mm & MF so it's out of my league.:(

David

Thanks for the welcome, though I am not sure I feel an artist myself, well, not yet, maybe... :-)

Regarding my darkrooom, the enlarger (DeVere) has a MF and 35 mixing boxes for the light (Ilford 500 Multigrade head) and I do have the right negative inserts for the carrier, so it is just a question of getting a lens, say 80mm for the MF would be nice. Then it would work for you! :-) I might even get into MF, and get you into 4x5. I am so looking forward to the summer....

Rafal

melball
02-04-2008, 03:04 AM
Hey fluffy,

I'll try and get a few of mine sorted for you (well us seeing as I'm supposed to be helping too...you're doing a great job!). I had the Holga (looks of derision and total incomprehension from all around...especially when I dropped my empty spool on the kid in front..) out at the match so I'll need some help developing.

Mel

mmcclellan
02-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Should all of us who hope to join in e-mail scans and then you pick and choose to show Sirius? Or do they require prints? Maybe a CD of the group's photos would do the trick? Just a thought . . . .

thefizz
02-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Should all of us who hope to join in e-mail scans and then you pick and choose to show Sirius? Or do they require prints? Maybe a CD of the group's photos would do the trick? Just a thought . . . .

Agreed, it will be difficult for all of us to send prints so hopefully a CD with some of our images will do. I have my new scanner installed so should be able to email some scans to Catherine as soon as I learn how to use it :rolleyes:

Arifield have informed me that we have to supply whatever refreshments we want for the opening night. I guess that won't amount to much between all of us.

mmcclellan
02-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Catherine,

Do you want to supply an e-mail address here (maybe make one up on gmail?) that we should use to send pic files to? I should think if we're doing a CD, then files of 500KB to 1MB should be quite sufficient for Sirius and others to view them on a monitor.

Your call. :)

Thanks for your good efforts on this!

fluffy_penguins
02-06-2008, 06:11 AM
Good idea, just set up a gmail account specifically for this. If you are able to send digital images for our apug submission to Sirius Arts Center please send to

apug2008 (at) gmail (dot) com

If you can include titles, print dimensions, technique (if relevant) and a brief bio that would be great. It's okay if these aren't your final selections, I think they are more interested at this point to see the range of work we do. As I said earlier, more of an initial screening to make sure we are serious! Web-resolution is best but if you aren't sure how just send what you have and I'll shrink 'em.

Catherine

thefizz
02-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Great work Fluffy, I'll scan a few prints at the weekend and send to your new email address.

mmcclellan
02-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Same here -- thanks, Fluffy! (love the name, btw) :)

I'll send all that info over the next few days to you. Thanks for your effort and energy on this!