PDA

View Full Version : APUG Ireland Exhibition

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

thefizz
03-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I was hoping to get into Airfield soon to see how they hang and layout their exhibitions and I may get to do so this coming weekend. I have been there many times but never when they had any exhibitions running. What you have reported Rafal doesn't sound great. I know they use the Lilly Butler room for some of the exhibitions, did you go into that room?

Recently I provisionally booked two weeks starting the weekend of 20th September as time was passing while we waited for Sirius in Cork to check out, and Airfield was getting booked up close to September.

I don't mind looking elsewhere but we really need to nail a venue soon so if anyone else has any suggestions, speak now or forever hold your peace.;)

Rafal Lukawiecki
03-10-2008, 05:52 PM
The only room I could not see was the one that had the private lunch function booked. I could see through the windows that there were some pictures hanging, but I did not examine it, as no one was allowed in. :) I don't know if this was the Lilly Butler room, sorry. The staff did not have much idea about exhibiting photography when I enquired there, but the lady at the shop (by the entrance) told me that the restaurant was the only place for exhibits and that they had no dedicated space.

Still, even if we cannot get anything better, I will be very happy to contribute my 3-4 pictures to hang there. :) I am happy to do a spot check on any other place anyone may suggest.

Rafal

thefizz
03-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Here's a reply I got from Airfield yesterday:

"The Lily Butler Room is used for private functions from time to time so is not always accessible to the public so we aim to concentrate the bulk of the work in the library and café. However as the Lilly Butler room is often used for corporate events, it is often a good place to showcase work and may even generate a few sales. It just needs to be understood from the outset that this is the case re access. The current exhibition was concentrated in the Lilly Butler room as we are installing new lights in the library. The total number of pieces in the last exhibition was 32. Are you settled on hanging your work on 22nd and opening on 23rd Sept?"

I need to confirm these dates soon so whats it going to be people? does it sound ok or should we keep looking? I don't mind either way.

Peter

Síle
03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
To be honest, I would now have reservations about Airfield being the best option after hearing all that. I know the Lily Butler room is light and airy and Airfield itself is in a fabulous setting, but as it is difficult to get to for anyone without a car, if the viewing times are limited it simply adds more complications.

A lot of gallery spaces are open to the public without limitation, I think that's what we should be aiming for?

Síle

dferrie
03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi guys,

I'm not sure that Airfield is the optimal choice, access not only to the rooms but to airfield itself is not wonderful. What kind of cost are they talking about?

Has anyone checked other options, which might be more suitable? One place that comes to mind is the Mermaid Arts Centre in Bray (http://www.mermaidartscentre.ie/), it frequently has photographic exhibitions, is open (free of charge) 6 days a week, has a cafe which is very popular and draws people in and they then check out the exhibitions. It's on the main street in Bray, plenty of buses, dart and has car parking (albeit not free). I have no idea about their costs, requirements or even if it has been checked out, just mentioning it as an option.

David

Fintan
03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I understand the concerns over Airfield as a venue. I'm worried that this thread has lost all momentum over the last 3 months since I started this thread and I fear that we may not do this exhibition in 2008. Several people that posted early on havent posted since. I do hope I'm wrong however I've seen a few group shows on APUG fail to materialise sadly.

Rafal Sile and David, if you want to make suggestions on an alternative venue please phone them and get all the details and what slots they have free this year, september or afterwards. Time is running out for 2008 :(

thefizz
03-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Hi guys,
I'm not sure that Airfield is the optimal choice, access not only to the rooms but to airfield itself is not wonderful. What kind of cost are they talking about?
Davis

There is no charge to exhibit but Airfield take a 25% commission on any sales which to my knowledge is very reasonable.Peter

We also have to cover whatever refreshments we want at the opening night. Shouldn't amount to much between all of us.

Has anyone checked other options, which might be more suitable?David

Doesn't look like it. In the interests of keeping this exhibition alive, I vote for Airfield cause if we delay any longer, it will be into 2009. I have never exhibited in a gallery so I'm happy to show my 2 or 3 prints anywhere.

Peter

Fintan
03-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Just on the commission thing, the venues I've shown at, the percentages were 40% 25% and 20%.

melball
03-14-2008, 08:29 AM
I've never been to Airfield but I think it sounds like a good choice. I think it's important we have an exhibition this year which we can then build on next year (and future years). There's nothing to stop us exhibiting there and if we get interest elsewhere to take the exhibition on tour. Everyone seems very gloomy at the moment, cheer up! we do this for fun!

thefizz
03-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I've never been to Airfield but I think it sounds like a good choice. I think it's important we have an exhibition this year which we can then build on next year (and future years). There's nothing to stop us exhibiting there and if we get interest elsewhere to take the exhibition on tour. Everyone seems very gloomy at the moment, cheer up! we do this for fun!

"Apug Ireland on tour" I like the sound of that.

Droog
03-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Analysis Paralysis!

I vote for Airfield this time and let's be sure to exhibit this year. The experience gleaned from this can inform the decision for the next one. I like the idea of supporting this venue that provides for the needs of darkroom enthusiasts.

Andrew

Síle
03-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Stick with the status quo.. Once everyone else is happy, I'm happy..

Síle

fluffy_penguins
03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
I vote for Airfield... let's carry on.

Sirius is out for 2008 but possible for 2009. Mel and I are working on other venues,

:-)

Catherine

Rafal Lukawiecki
03-15-2008, 04:10 PM
I support everyone - exhibiting anywhere is better than delaying. I'd be happy to have my prints at Airfield. I guess we can work on arranging the display to work around the issues.

Fintan
03-15-2008, 05:50 PM
I dont think we have to use the semi-private room in Airfield [Lilly Butler room] exclusively.

The entrance hall will take 6 prints.
The adjoining restaurant room will take 9.
Another 2 in the buffet area.
3 or 4 in the Patio room
In the end room where the concerts are held, this will take another 12 to 14.

The Lilly Butler room can take about maybe 20 prints.

peterev
04-28-2008, 08:24 AM
have a set of new colour landscapes ready to go, so i'm hot to trot.

thefizz
04-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I've been re-reading this thread and as a final roll call, here is a list of those who posted to say they want to take part:

Peter
Fintan
Catherine
Mel
Sile
David
Rafal
Marcus
Seoirse
Andrew
Peter Evers
Fiona

Foreign guys:

Michael McClellan
Michael Slade
Jon King
Dave Miller
Ian Leake

As the total number of prints (b&w or color) will be roughly 40 (TBC), how about the Irish members make 3 prints each and the foreign members make 1 each. If anyone doesn't want to make their full allocation, then they can pass part of it on to another person who may wish to make extra. I think everyone is agreed the prints can be of any subject but must have been taken in Ireland.

Titles suggested have been:

No Pixels
Standing Still
An Seomra Dorcha (Irish for Darkroom)
Ireland on Film
Visions of Ireland
Analogue Ireland
Ireland from the Darkroom
Airgead (Irish for Silver)
Silver Ireland

Would those taking part please vote for your favourite title but keep in mind that the exhibition will have B&W as well as colour prints and is Irish related.

The exhibition is booked to start the weekend of the 20th September in Airfield, so don't leave it to the last minute to make your prints, as I usually do :rolleyes:

Peter

fluffy_penguins
04-28-2008, 04:55 PM
I vote:

"NO PIXELS: Contemporary film photography in Ireland"

fluffy_penguins
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Wait... I vote:

NO PIXELS: Ireland on film

dodger
04-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I'll second you on that one fluffy, it's a great title