PDA

View Full Version : A new contest for film users only...

david b
12-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I just came across this:

File Magazine Contest (http://www.filemagazine.com/36contest.html)

check it out

Cheryl Jacobs
12-08-2007, 10:58 AM
David, that's very cool. I'm tempted, and I never do contests.

- CJ

mark
12-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Ok, now that sounds like a cool challenge.

I loved this line of the description:
"But this ease of use and surfeit of images comes with a price. In the analog era, when we had to pay to see what we shot, we were more careful when we took photographs. This forced a discipline that is hard to imagine today."

Thanks for the link.

SuzanneR
12-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Interesting and fresh idea from the usual photo contests out there. Thanks for the link.

Marc Akemann
12-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for the link. I think I'll try this. :-)

Richard T Ritter
12-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Great idea, but look at the prizes.

Cheryl Jacobs
12-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Richard, I'm not interested in prizes. It's the fun and the challenge that counts.

David A. Goldfarb
12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Indeed. I entered a proposal, but I don't think any of the prizes are particularly of interest to me. On the other hand, if they bought me 36 sheets of 8x10" Portra to shoot (well, 40, since it comes in 10 sheet boxes) and processed it, that would be a prize in itself.

gr82bart
12-15-2007, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the link. Great post.

Regards, Art.

hmb
01-14-2008, 11:08 AM
just curious if anyne entered and chosen to shoot a roll?
Heather

Marc Akemann
01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
just curious if anyne entered and chosen to shoot a roll?
Heather

I wanted to do this but didn't. For what it's worth, my idea of shooting up a roll of 36 exposure film would have been to take a photo every mile, give or take a city block or two, for the 36 miles between one of the richest neighborhoods in all of Michigan (Bloomfield Hills) to a point in Detroit.

Contest or no, I'll do this shoot anyway. As a matter of fact, I'll need to shoot this idea more than once because alongside the original idea are other thoughts on this.

hmb
01-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Yes, I will be doing this project on my own as well. good idea and got lots of thoughts going for me. I look forward to seeing what the 5 chosen do with this.
So your thought idea is shooting in between 2 wealthy neighborhoods...presumably a rather distinct difference from start to finish. I like it!

David A. Goldfarb
01-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Well, it looks like they've decided to rule out MF and LF projects. Someone must have looked up the price of 36 sheets of 8x10" color neg.

k_jupiter
01-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, it looks like they've decided to rule out MF and LF projects. Someone must have looked up the price of 36 sheets of 8x10" color neg.

I saw that first off. I guess they had to set a line somewhere. I'm not interested in just the image capture part of the concept so this whole thing held little interest. And you certainly can't run their idea of a project through a rb67.

Sort of a "challenge these people, yet don't let them get their creative mojo flowin' ".

I hope someone from APUG who fits better with the sponsor's idea of a photo contest entered and were selected.

tim in san jose

David A. Goldfarb
01-19-2008, 01:28 PM
When they originally posted the rules, they said they were open to MF and LF proposals, but they changed it.

I'm okay with that. I think the idea is like an exercise I've seen a lot from people who have studied at the Art Center in Pasadena--one 36 exp. roll of 35mm photographed as a single composition, contact printed and mounted as a long strip.

mark
01-19-2008, 01:47 PM
This contest reminded me of the project Harvey Keitel's character, in the movie Smoke, did. One shot every day and the exact same time, exact same location, the exact same direction

I think the concept of one roll shooting is easy, pulling it off well would be very difficult. You have to make every push of the shutter release count. No mess ups. One screwed up shot screws up the project. Format size is meaningless in this instance. How many of us can land 36 cohesive keepers in a row? I couldn't.