PDA

View Full Version : Toning Workshop with Tim Rudman (Jan 08)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Ole
01-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Read, replied, read, replied, and re-replied. :)

Fintan
01-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Great to have you on board Ole

Ole
01-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Great to be in - and I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

Fintan
01-17-2008, 02:48 PM
OK folks we have made a small revision to the schedule to include even more toners. This promises to be absolutely unmissable and we can accomodate another couple of people. Please get in touch to book it.

Heres the skinny...

REVISED FOTOSPEED TONING WORKSHOP PROGRAMME:

Session 1: (Saturday 1.00 p.m.):
Introduction to toning. General principles and procedures. Paper types, hardeners, printing
compensation requirements, bleach theory, combination toning theory, when to fix, wash
procedures.
Crib sheets and handouts.

Selenium:
Archival, Dmax, Aesthetic. Split and dual toning. Staining, Toxicity.
Gold:
Archival, Aesthetic, Split and dual toning. Staining.
Sepia (odourless Thiourea only):
Archival, Aesthetic (2 colour options). Full & split toning (2 bleach strengths). ‘2-3 band’toning. ‘Pre-
sulphiding’ and ‘pre-development’, Selective toning.

Plenary discussion.

(Optional ‘tech talk’ & Q.A. session over dinner/guinness)

Session 2 (Sunday a.m.):

Introduction to metal ferrocyanide toners:

Porcelain Blue:
Delicate iron blue with separate bleach stage for split bleach/tone control.
Iron blue 111:
Partial/full toning. Colour intensification. Clearing baths & duo tones. Redevelopment and re-toning.
Staining. Dual toning. ‘Untoning’.
Copper red:
Partial/full toning. Colour intensification. Redevelopment and re-toning. Solarisation. Staining. Dual
toning.
Titanium (from Palette toning kit):
Partial/full toning, yellow/brown. Dual toning (for greens – session 3)
Vanadium (from Palette toning kit):
Partial/full toning, yellow, solarisation effects. Dual toning (for greens – session 3)

Session 3 (Sunday p.m.)

Multiple toning:
Sepia/selenium, Sepia/gold, Selenium/gold, Sepia/blue, blue/copper, Blue/Titanium,
Blue/Vanadium, and more.

Plenary discussion.
Feedback and close.

Ole
01-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Looks like I need to make more prints...

Ole
01-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Just out of the darkroom, after making small (8x10") RC prints for the first time in a long long time.

They're in the washer now, along with a few FB prints just to prove to myself that the negative still is as good is it was the last time I printed it - and it is. But I think I'll have to make a few more, considerably larger, when I get home from the workshop!

Fintan
01-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Excellent Ole, mine are just dry. TheFizz is in the darkroom tonite...

thefizz
01-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Yes I have darkroom time booked in with my wife for tonight so I better make it count or I'll be under major pressure for the weekend.

I have 100's of negs but can't decide what I want to print :rolleyes:

fluffy_penguins
01-22-2008, 08:56 AM
i'm printing tomorrow... i think i've decided.... but reserve the right to change my mind at the last minute! c.

Ole
01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I've made 12 prints from the same negative now, on four different papers.

Maybe I'll find a different negative and make some more tomorrow, I've got choir practice in an hour now.

The funny thing is that the one I printed now is a MF negative from a folding camera, the "possibles" for tomorrow are 35mm negatives...

Fintan
01-24-2008, 05:10 AM
This workshop is now FULL :)

Thanks everyone, looking forward to meeting y'all.

Fintan

Ole
01-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Aargh!

I've spent the whole night alternately sitting up in bed or crouched over the toilet bowl, and finally got a few hours sleep until right now. Since the stomach upset which is currently making its rounds here in Bergen tends to last for two or three days, I'm not going to make it to the workshop. :(

Fintan
01-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Aargh!

Aargh!! aswell.

Sorry to hear that Ole, was looking forward to meeting you.

Síle
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Hope you all have a fantastic weekend.. I'll be expecting some wonderful prints now for the exhibition ;)

Síle

thefizz
01-28-2008, 03:10 AM
Well what can I say, colour is back in my life :)

Thanks to those who attended, hope you enjoyed it as mush as I did.

Tim will be back in the spring for "A Day at the Bleach" which promises to be something different.

Peter

Fintan
01-28-2008, 03:26 AM
A great great workshop, I learned loads, obviously from Tim but I learned a lot from everyone elses work too. A great format for learning.

Thanks to everyone that came and hard luck again to Ole, sorry you missed the fun.

Droog
01-28-2008, 08:41 AM
This did not seem like a workshop - it was a playshop and it was great fun. Thanks to everyone, and especially to Tim, for all the encouragement and instruction.

Andrew

dodger
02-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi there guys.
A really big thank you to all for yet another really enjoyable workshop organised by 'the fizz', and Fintan. So i didn't recognise you by the photo but Trim gave you away. Since the course i have been totally fired up and in the darkroom.

Fintan
02-08-2008, 04:05 PM
hi fiona, great to have you over on apug!!

We're all fired up too :D

thefizz
02-08-2008, 04:16 PM
:o No way, Fiona Gunn is on the internet.

Your user name is very appropriate :D