PDA

View Full Version : The Iraq War

Pages : 1 [2]

tintinnabulation
04-28-2003, 12:35 AM
MVJIM-A very nice link! My compliments.

I viewed Peter Tunley's photographs. One of the photos displayed appeared in the Chicago Tribune. I especially liked 'tornado', that's what I call it. The US soldier is standing in front of a burning oil well with his weapon. And 'Reflections on a letter home', another description of mine of a US troop at a remote base camp.

Thanks.

rjs003
03-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Having served during Viet Nam two photos stand out in my mind of that war. The naked little girl running from the Napalmed village and the VC general executing a civilian ( Point blank range with a pistol pointed at his head).
Those two photos sum up my feelings about war and it's supposed justifications. I will continue to shoot land scapes and enjoy each day of the rest of my life. MY two cents

bjorke
03-02-2004, 01:53 PM
A blog by a good photographer at the front: Stephanie Sinclair (http://www.stephaniesinclair.com/) who got a worldpress photos award for her coverage of Iraqi self-immolating women.

The single photo that has most grabbed me thus far was a non-combat Natchwey shot. Go to http://www.viiphoto.com/ click on "Enter Agency" and then (when the window comes up) "Iraq War" and "The Shiites" -- photo #11, little boy on his father's shoulders.

Bruce Osgood
03-02-2004, 02:31 PM
A blog by a good photographer at the front: Stephanie Sinclair (http://www.stephaniesinclair.com/) who got a worldpress photos award for her coverage of Iraqi self-immolating women.

The single photo that has most grabbed me thus far was a non-combat Natchey shot. Go to http://www.viiphoto.com/ click on "Enter Agency" and then (when the window comes up) "Iraq War" and "The Shiites" -- photo #11, little boy on his father's shoulders.

a truly gifted photographer. And what caught my eye relative to a recent thread here on APUG regarding titling a picture, the really good ones don't need a title.

David R Munson
03-30-2004, 03:35 PM
I know the Digitaljournalist page has been cited already, and I know that this is from the first Gulf War, but this is one of the most telling series of photographs I've seen come out of Iraq - http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0212/pt_intro.html More people need to see things like this.

Ed Sukach
03-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Two days ago, the local news covered the funeral of an American Marine - Iraqi casualty. His sister was interviewed and tearfully asked *the* question - simply - "Why?"

Other than answering, "A lust for oil" ... I don't know.

The image that "got" to me was the one showing the man in the turban holding the dead child - whose feet had been blown off. I won't forget that one for a long, long time.

Support our troops - really support them - bring them home.

doughowk
03-30-2004, 07:43 PM
For what purpose war photography? The 1984 style propaganda or the subversive honesty of some of the Vietnam era pictures? Given the right-wing media control in US, we seem to be in an Orwellian period where photographers resort to photoshop doctoring of images to create that backhome feel-good picture (LA Times). If we want honest images of war, probably have to look to foreign news media/reporters.

Aggie
03-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Given the right-wing media control in US

Depends on where you are. SF is definately ultra liberal.

Ed Sukach
03-30-2004, 10:11 PM
For what purpose war photography?

His sister wasn't questioning photography ... she was questioning the death of her brother.

Every life - on either side is precious. At times, there might be a faint glimmer of justification - but now? We've proved ourselves - although there wasn't much to prove in the first place - we were stronger, by far - there was no question of that.
Does anyone think that the government of Iraq is now a threat? Does anyone think that a government in Iraq now exists?
Why are we now in there, and dying - and when are our brave servicemen - check that - servicepeople - going to get what they want and deserve most - a return home.

From the First World War - a line from a song of the trenches, taught to me by a 38 year Supply Sergeant:

"Where the whiz-bangs are a' flyin'
And comforts are few
There brave men are a' dyin'
For bastards like you."

happysnapper
03-31-2004, 02:53 AM
Ed,

Hopefully when we get rid of this liar in the White House that has his foundation crumbling around him... do you know he has not been to even one memorial service for any of the World War Bush II dead? And why do you think that is? And why are the dead and wounded only flown back home in the middle of the night?
What is wrong with this world anyhow?

And Aggie, you can hardly call the media in the SF area ultra liberal, you don't strike me as the Bay Guardian kind of reader.

Ray

Ole
03-31-2004, 04:01 AM
Given the right-wing media control in US
Depends on where you are. SF is definately ultra liberal.

From what I've seen, there are no liberal media left in the US. I hope I'm wrong, but it certainly doen't look like it from here.

doughowk
03-31-2004, 07:25 AM
The existence of US Liberal Media is a myth started by Spiro Agnew when he tried to deflect investigations into his financial dealings as govenor of Maryland, and the myth has been used ever since by right-wing elements in our society to brow-beat criticsim. When photojournalism was still seen as an honest portrayer of events, it could have an unintentional liberal slant. Thanks to Photoshop, it's lost its honesty.

David R Munson
03-31-2004, 09:47 AM
"What Liberal Media?" by Eric Alterman is an excellent book worth reading if you're interested in the subject. The supposed liberal media really is little more than a popular myth, and this book does a good job explaining it.

mark
04-01-2004, 12:57 PM
There are liberal entities in the media world, but you will find very few considered mainstream. Most are worried about corporate money and advertising. Corporate money is often very conservative.

The truth is out there you just have to filter the crap from both sides. Both sides have agendas they try to get across.

Aggie
04-01-2004, 05:03 PM
what is a conservative and what is a liberal. Not the genral political types who are in office, but the everyday person who is out there making a living

noseoil
04-01-2004, 05:17 PM
These are not textbook definitions, but my own.

A conservative tends to promote self-fulfillment, self-reliance and generally supports the idea that people are at their best when striving for something. Consequences for an individual's behavior are concrete and fully owned by the individual.

A liberal seeks to remove the consequences of an individual's behavior from the actions (insulation).
Examples: Abortion, food stamps for families who have too many children and must rely on others to feed them, governmnet welfare programs in general.

Eric Rose
04-01-2004, 05:42 PM
What does this have to do with Photographers? Why don't you guys start up a new thread under Off Topic - Politics - Don't give a hoot.

bdweiss
04-05-2004, 12:55 PM
There are some powerful photos from the Iraq war on exhibit at the international Center for Photography in NYC.