PDA

View Full Version : My (brief) Time in New England

Pages : 1 [2]

scootermm
01-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Thanks Paul.

That really is a visually splendid region. Due to the little time I had and the immense amount of photo opportunities I came across, I resigned to staying within a few miles of my sisters house so that I wasnt overwhelmed :)

Also, an update on my TSA debacle.

I filed a claim the day after returning and was called a few days ago by a nice TSA rep. There was a lack of open communication between myself and the Manchester TSA employees at the airport. When the film was run through the Xray machine, they then proceeded to do the swabbing on it. of the three film boxes I had with me (one brand new sealed box, one half full box, and one box of exposed/undeveloped film) the box that was factory sealed and taped up, actually tested positive in a mercury (Hg) residue scan. This is apparently one of the chemicals that are scanned for, according to the rep that talked to me on the phone.
In this instance, they are required to open up the box and also swab the interior for substances, which they did and nothing showed showed up.
They made the mistake of NOT informing me that the exterior had tested positive and that they were required to open up the box (regardless of it being a "factory seal" or not).

Chalk one up to experience I guess. I do intend on calling freestyle photo, just to inform them that a box of Efke film set off this TSA alarm so they may want to consider warning people or what not, feel they deserve to know about this.

One good thing, I've more than likely been added to a whole slew of "watch" lists. :)

Nicole
01-08-2008, 04:00 AM
Hi Matt, great to "see" you again. I'm sorry to hear about your film, that's most annoying. People just have no idea! Your New England work is beautiful - especially the last image!! OK, that's it. I'm going to have to take my LF on a road trip this weekend thanks to you!! :D

c.d.ewen
01-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Matt:

Just curious....I pack the 12x20, three holders and a bunch of lenses into a Pelican 1630, but need a forklift to load it into the truck. I'm always interested in options. You use a Pelican 1580? I can't find any reference to that model.

Charley

scootermm
01-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Charley... My mistake on the model number. I have the 1630 as well. Not the 1580. (blame it on numerical dyslexia) :)
It runs about 75lbs when loaded up with everything. I have a shoulder strap fashioned to it and have managed to haul it (slowly) pretty easily.

c.d.ewen
01-08-2008, 01:33 PM
It runs about 75lbs when loaded up with everything. I have a shoulder strap fashioned to it and have managed to haul it (slowly) pretty easily.

Shoulder strap? Geez, you're stronger than me! For those unfamiliar with the model, the 1630 has built-in (little) wheels. I use a luggage carrier to wheel it around.

You'll be glad to know that the Pelican keeps things safe: I had the big Korona, a Deardorff and a No 10 Cirkut in their Pelicans when my truck fell off a flatbed tow truck last year. The winch let go, and the driverless truck went flying down the road until it hit a guardrail. No damages anywhere (except the truck).

Charley