PDA

View Full Version : New Silver Chloride Azo type paper

Pages : [1] 2 3

Photo Engineer
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
I have been able to perfect (well, as far as I can go anyhow) an Azo type paper that is green (ortho) sensitive. It looks like regular Azo the way I make it, but is at least a stop faster.

Now, this might be interesting with negatives processed in staining developers, but IDK. I'm putting this up here for a response.

What do you think?

PE

rootberry
01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Well, my first response is: Gimme!

being that it is a whole stop faster is also very nifty. There are a lot of folks who miss AZO, I know I am one of them.. I still have 30 sheets or so of grade 3 that I haven't been able to make myself use.

Anyways, I think it sounds great PE !

Jerevan
01-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Sounds interesting to me. What ballpark exposure times do you get? Is it complicated to make?

gbenaim
01-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd be very interested in it if you need some testing.

Shawn Dougherty
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
What do you think?
PE

Well, that's great news... but, are there plans to produce and market this emulsion or would this be a home brew alternative?

jnanian
01-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, that's great news... but, are there plans to produce and market this emulsion or would this be a home brew alternative?

DITTO

Andrew Moxom
01-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Could you ask Ilford to do a run of it :-)

Photo Engineer
01-08-2008, 04:32 PM
This is a trial baloon for something that has never been made before AFAIK. It can be made at just about original Azo speed in grade 2 or 1 - 2 stops faster in grade 3. I'm still working on this.

PE

David A. Goldfarb
01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Sounds great. A stop faster, green sensitive, should be usable as an enlarging paper, particularly with cold light (and even more particularly with the older greenish tubes).

How are the keeping qualities, if you've tested that yet?

bdial
01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm not a LF contact printer yet, but this is extremely cool.

JLP
01-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Very interested too. Azo speed is fine but a stop faster don't hurt as long as the paper has the quality that you envisioned.
What it comes down to is cost within reason. Look forward as always to see where this goes.

jan

Ole
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
This seems very interesting indeed...

jgjbowen
01-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I can't wait to see some prints or perhaps read a review by someone like Alex who has used Azo and your other papers.

Keep up the good work PE.

Photo Engineer
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, here is the problem. If you use the green sensitized emulsion with regular negatives, you will probably see no difference at all. My question is regarding staining developers and their effect on green sensitive contact papers, of which there are none AFAIK.

So, if you don't use staining developers, this paper would probably be of no use whatsoever. Just an ordinary emulsion. After all, most enlarging papers today are green sensitive.

So that is the question here. How do blue sensitive emulsions vs ortho sensitive emulsions compare when printed with negatives developed in staining developers?

PE

Ole
01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
That is indeed the question. But since most (all?) the green-sensitive papers available today are vari-contrast, the only thing we can be certain of is that printing stained negatives on VC paper leads to much reduced contrast compared to printing the same negative on a (fixed grade) blue-sensitive paper, all other factors being kept as equal as practicable.

Christopher Nisperos
01-08-2008, 05:41 PM
My question is regarding staining developers and their effect on green sensitive contact papers, of which there are none AFAIK. . . . How do blue sensitive emulsions vs ortho sensitive emulsions compare when printed with negatives developed in staining developers?
PE

Hi Ron,

Judging from your question, I take it that you don't have any stained negatives. That being the case, why not just send some of this paper to one of us to test for you? I'm sure you'll have a sea of happy takers ... and obtain some valuable practical testing information in exchange!

Happy 2008,

Christopher

Tom Hoskinson
01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Ron, I am a (5x7 and 8x10) contact printer who still has a small stash of AZO. I would love to try your new emulsion/paper.

jgjbowen
01-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Ron,

I use Pyrocat HD with my TMY negatives and develop them for contact printing on Canadian Grade 2 Azo. I also have Azo in old grade 2, grade 3 and some ancient grade 4. I also have some Haloid I could test against your paper. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Steve Sherman
01-08-2008, 06:29 PM
PE

Steve Sherman
01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
PE

Keep us posted, very interested!