PDA

View Full Version : The Light Farm and Denise Ross's Emulsion Diary websites

Pages : 1 2 [3]

dwross
04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
You might want to explore "Photographic Emulsion Chemistry, by G. F. Duffin", and how often it's referred to in various patents.

Bob M.

Bob,
Thanks for the tip.

I went straight from your suggestion to AbeBooks. The one copy they had was $250, just about an order of magnitude out of my league. I was about to ask if I could rent your copy when I decided to give A****n a try. They had a copy for $20. The only description is 'Unknown binding". I may still be asking to rent your copy :). I'll let you know. Hopefully, Photographic Emulsion Chemistry will end up on TLF's literature page.

d

Kirk Keyes
04-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Dammint Denise - I just did the same search... Lowest I found was $160 in the UK.

Could I rent your copy?

dwross
04-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Dammint Denise - I just did the same search... Lowest I found was $160 in the UK.

Could I rent your copy?

Absolutely. But it'll cost you a Hazelnut Brown at Rogue Ale :).

d

Ryuji
04-16-2008, 06:28 PM
One of my favorite references is the English Edition of Making and Coating Photographic Emulsions, by V.L. Zelikman and S.M. Levi, originally published in Russian. I have an academic's love of original sources and it makes me nuts to look through the references at the end of every chapter and realize that even if I could read Russian, and German, and who knows what else, those original sources may be lost to us.

Denise,

Zelikman and Levi offers a good explanation of many things, but that book describes several speculative theories that were later found unimportant or superseded by better explanations. Their book is definitely worth reading as an academic reference, but I would also double check with more modern references.

I'd read articles written by Chester Berry, David Skillman, Jong Wey, David Locker about precipitation. Berry was the pioneer of the quantitative analysis of grain nucleation and growth process, and Jong Wey took it to a level higher. If you are interested in numerical simulation, you might search for the works of Edgar Gutoff and Geoffrey Margolis. These are from Polaroid Corporation. Another interesting work is done by Masanori Saitoh and Masaya Shimoji of Konishiroku. They described the outline of their feedback control system for their emulsion manufacturing, but no numerical algorithm is disclosed (of course!) and so you would have to learn from other sources how to design the precipitation profile to get an emulsion you want (which is definitely more important learning process). Wey and Strong's work should give you a very good insight into this, and Gutoff's work should give you one way to think about it. I don't see much of the numerical work published from Eastman or Fuji people. I'm sure they did a lot of work but they probably considered it of little scientific value and a lot of commercial value.

If you are interested in precipitation profile for tabular grain emulsion, Joe Maskasky's work is the first thing you need to read... His patents (there are many) are actually pretty descriptive and informative, but maybe about 1/3 of his patents are actually practically relevant, if that's what you are looking for. His academic publications are also very good and informative.

A lot of practically relevant and useful and insightful information is published by people like Ohzeki, Urabe, Mifune, Satou, Takada, all of Fuji Photo Film. Some are written in English but majority are written only in Japanese.

But this type of list cannot be complete unless I narrow the scope to a very specific issue... because there are so many people who had a few pieces of very good information.

I hope that everyone who has boxes of information stashed here and there (and I have mine) considers at some point cataloging and archiving. I personally can't imagine anything more tedious - or anything as important. The Rosetta Stone to emulsion making will be carved by all of us.

The real information processing occurs in my brain after reading them and thinking about for some time. I have digitized some of my important part of the library, but I still focus on "digesting" the information and actually utilizing it on my practice by making batches of emulsions than to make a comprehensive bibliography... If some people want to collaborate with me in somewhat complementary sides, I'd be up for it, but I only have limited time and I have my priorities...

Ryuji
04-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks Denise and Kirk for the answer.

Well, I have a rack of flat file cabinet (which holds something bigger than 22x30 inch paper---the biggest I use) and it's fairly light tight by itself, but I don't trust it because it's not designed for that purpose. I cover the face of the cabinet with an opaque black plastic sheet (similar to the bag used to ship enlarging paper) but I am not too comfortable keeping plates coated with fast emulsion in there... plus, there is no ventilation in the cabinet.

Kirk Keyes
04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Ryuji - a handy little space saver I found is an electrophoresis plate rack. It has 12 or so slots and holds 8x10 and 5x7 plates quite nicely. I got 3 for $15 online.

Ryuji
04-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Actually, I have those but I use them to dry processed plates, not coated plates...

(To those who are not familiar with lab work... electrophoresis gel rack is similar to dish drying rack or print drying rack made from coated wires or something...)

Ryuji
04-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Incidentally, I wrote the section of "emulsion" (among a few other sections) in Encyclopedia of 20th Century Photography and this is the references I gave there:

Carroll, B. H. 1931. The preparation of photographic emulsions. J. of Chem. Education, 8, 2341-2367.

Duffin, G. F. 1966. Photographic emulsion chemistry. London: Focal Press.

Hill, T. T. 1966. Laboratory-scale photographic emulsion technique, J. of Chem. Education., 43, 492-498.

Keller, K. 1993. Science and technology of photography, VCH.

Mueller, F. W. H. 1977. The photographic emulsion. In Neblette's Handbook of Photography and Reprography: Materials, Processes, and Systems, New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.

Sturmer, D. M. and Marchetti, A. P. 1989. Silver halide imaging. In J. Sturge, V. Walworth, and A. Shepp, eds., Imaging processes and materials: Neblette's eighth edition, New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.

Zelikman, V. L. and Levi, S. M. 1964. Making and coating photographic emulsions. London: Focal Press.