PDA

View Full Version : Alt Print Exchange Round 7, May 2008

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Allen Friday
06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
A note to those in my group. I have the base platinum prints made and will be going onto the next layers this week. Sorry I am running late. But, I am working on them.

Allen

Zebra
06-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Alright everyone I'm in. The prints are drying as we speak so tomorrow they will get packaged and then put in the post on Monday. Hope everyone enjoys.

Have a great weekend,

Monty

Akki14
06-09-2008, 09:13 AM
I have recieved Fred's prints. They're lovely! I really like the platinum one as it's a very interesting. My postie is still being crap and folded them to shove them through the post slot! But it's not a hard fold so I don't think they're permanently damaged, just a little unflat now.

I have posted my prints just now. The lady at the post office was a bit confused and wouldn't let me fill in the declaration forms so I hope they still sneak through to North America okay.

Allen Friday
06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
On Friday I recieved Fred Wong's prints. They are beutiful. The platinum print is exceptional in its tone and scale. The cyanotye is lovely. I am impressed with the extremely long scale in cyanotype. Thank you for the terrific prints.

Today I recieved Todd's print of the hard water stained wall. The tones are wonderful and the 4x5 size seems to fit the print prefectly. It is a beutiful little jewel. Thank you.

To up date all in my group, I finished printing my photographs this week end, but have not matted them yet. Unfortunately, I have to make a quick trip to Florida for business starting tomorrow morning. So, I will not get the prints matted and mailed until next week. Sorry for the delay. But the trip is business, and sometimes real life interfers with my true joy, photography.

Allen

philldresser
06-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I have received Freds prints this morning. Lovely work Fred. Thanks!

I still have not matted mine due to work pressures but hopefully a.s.a.p

Phill

philldresser
06-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Received a wonderful palladium print from Todd and 2 cyanotypes from Heather. Thank you both.

Heather, I have made quite a few cyanotypes but never reached a deep blue as on your Banana shot. Is it traditional cyanotype or Cyanotype II? If traditional what is you dev and clearing process? What paper?

I think Todd and I have exchanged 3 times now and his work is quiet excellent. The palladium image he sent this time has a depth to it unsurpassed in any print I have seen. Superb (PM sent)

Cheers

Phill

Akki14
06-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Ah, Sorry I realise now I forgot to say any details for the cyanotype. It's traditional cyanotype, normal solutions, BUT I double coat. That's how you get those dark blues. I use Fabriano "watercolour studio" 300g/m2 paper (cheaper student-y version of their paper. Comes in tablets only, I think?) and I just soak the print in water face down for about 4-5 minutes. The Fabriano stuff clears nicely without letting the cyanotype blue wash away... I've been trying out more expensive papers like Arches Aquaelle and the famous Buxton paper.. but both of those papers I have an incredibly hard time getting the unsensitised solution out of the paper in the same short timespan. It's a bit odd but I guess I shouldn't complain that the cheaper stuff works better.
I have some Arches Aquaelle prints I gave up on soaking after half an hour and they're still blue & green.

FredW
06-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Heather, Phill, Allen:
Thank you for the kind words.

Heather, sorry to hear that the package was bent, to fit in your mail slot. I had thought, the the stiffer package would suffice to discourage that, given the bubble packs I had used previously experienced the same treatment. I guess where there is a will there is a way. Maybe I will need to add additional cardboard to stiffen the package more.

Eagerly awaiting your contributions.

colrehogan
06-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I received Jeff's prints while I was gone. The subjects are fitting for the cyanotype process. Well done, Jeff!

I am still unpacking from Foto 3 and will post in this thread again when I have some prints made.

toddstew
06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I too received Fred's wonderful prints. Did you shoot 11x14 or is the palladium print an enlarged negative? Either way, I really like it! Water is a subject that I am constantly drawn to, and so I am drawn to your interpretation. Very nice! I also really enjoy exploring your cyanotype. How do you like this version versus your palladium version?
They are both wonderful prints!
Thank you,
Todd

FredW
06-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks Todd, I do shoot 11x14, its an old Seneca. The film was FP4+, bought during the last Ilford run. I really like the film. I like my palladium interpretation better myself, the tonal range is much smoother, and puts me in a very contemplative mood, where you can just explore the print looking for details. The cyanotype is much bolder.

querlicht
06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I have received Jeff's prints this afternoon. Thank you very much for the beautiful prints!!

FredW
06-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Today, I received Heather's, and Todds' prints in the mail. Thank you so much for the beautiful prints.

philldresser
06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
I finally finished my print mounting today and will post on Monday. Apols for the delay

Phill

philldresser
06-23-2008, 09:42 AM
My prints are in the post. Lets see how fast inter-continental postage from UK can be!

Heather, yours went first class UK

Cheers

Phill

colrehogan
06-23-2008, 11:31 AM
I am going to try and start making prints tonight. I am a major slug this time around and I apologize.

Akki14
06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I received Phill's print yesterday. It's awesome, I have a set now! :D I like the print, it's more dark and moody than the other one which is bright and full of glowing light. Perfect partner. Thank you :)

philldresser
06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I received Phill's print yesterday. It's awesome, I have a set now! :D I like the print, it's more dark and moody than the other one which is bright and full of glowing light. Perfect partner. Thank you :)

Heather

Glad you like it but it's not the same print I hope? If it is I will replace it with another from the series.

I have printed these in various ways and the current trend is a little darker than originally. I'd be interested to here which you prefer and why?

Phill

toddstew
06-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Heather,
I forgot to let you know that I received your prints the other day, and that I really like the intimate still life nature of them! You and Fred both gave our group a bonus print this time, and I feel like I short-changed everybody with only a single print!
Thanks again everybody,
Todd
Oh yeah, it was great to actually receive prints from everybody that signed up for this round!

Akki14
06-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Phill,

No, it's not the same print but it's the same church, but facing the other way. I like the symmetry in the first "brighter" print with the glowing doorway and I like that it's more overall high contrast (nice highlights, nice shadows). But I like the darker one facing toward the alter too. They're a nice little pair together.

Todd,
I only did two prints because I felt lazy making those pictures. I didn't nicely mask off the paper and it wasn't on 8x10 paper like I normally send out and it wasn't mounted. I didn't do paper niceties because I now realise the paper I was using is for some reason reacts radically different to what I was using previously (same brand, same paper name, different cyanotype reactions, I've now done side-by-side tests). I got frustrated and got sloppy.
Also, my sincere apologies for not acknowledging receiving your print earlier. I've been admiring the interesting wall picture and shown it to a few friends over the last two weeks too. Thank you.

I believe we're still eagerly awaiting Allen's prints? I'm looking forward to seeing a gum over platinum! :D No pressure, Allen ;)