PDA

View Full Version : Alt Print Exchange Round 7, May 2008

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

FredW
02-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I will be the new organizer, as Carl has asked for a new volunteer.

For this round please specify if you class yourself - or others do for those that are shy - as: (B)eginner (I)ntermediate or (E)xpert which will help in putting the groups together to ensure an even spread - again every attempt will be made to put people into new groups! Groups will be of 4 or 5 individuals each sending an image to all of the others in their group. No restrictions on process - as long as its an alt. one, nor on size or presentation!

Since this is an analogue exchange, the entire process should be analog, i.e. no digital negatives.

Please also include your first name if not your full name as well as your apug moniker to make things easier to communicate.

Thanks, Fred.

FredW
02-03-2008, 12:01 AM
So far

Fred - FredW (E)
Nick - Nick Mulder (I)

FredW
02-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Nick, are you a beginner?

nick mulder
02-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Nick, are you a beginner?

Thanks for the invite :) - Feel free to check my gallery as I'm not too sure where I sit... not a beginner and not expert so to make things easy lets go with Intermediate.

I never found out >> do I print the same neg to everyone or can/should I go with different images ?

FredW
02-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Generally yes, you make several copies, and send one to each member of your group, in that round.

CarlRadford
02-03-2008, 04:18 AM
Thanks for this Fred. Diane said she would but must have had problems creating the thread!? Give me to nearer th time and I will see if I have something from the 10x8 pinhole. I must admit that I have moved to creating digital negs and am putting my effort in that direction!

Alisa_Candy
02-03-2008, 05:08 AM
hello, I have printer durst epsilon plus. I use duratrans transparency for light boxes. Please help to find alternative :)

Akki14
02-03-2008, 10:49 AM
hello, I have printer durst epsilon plus. I use duratrans transparency for light boxes. Please help to find alternative :)

That's kind of off topic for this subject but I use lith film which is no different from using normal B&W photo paper except you need weaker developer as it develops very quick. You can work with it under red safelights and has a similar sensitivity to paper. It's developed by inspection, though, rather than timing usually. It's cheaper to import some from the US from Freestyle than buying it in the UK, though...

Akki14
02-03-2008, 10:54 AM
oh oh i'm going to ask something silly now too. How do you tell when you're an Expert? :D I've been doing cyanotypes for under a year now but I've probably done over 100 (albeit small ones) prints...

colrehogan
02-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Sorry Carl, I wanted to give people a week or two off before starting up a thread for another round so I hadn't tried yet. Oh well. No problem that Fred is doing it.

I will participate in this round as an intermediate (I).

FredW
02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Heather, I think it comes down to your own feelings as to where you are in the process. From your print I received in the previous exchange, you could easily be an intermediate. I think to classify yourself as an expert, you should be able to look at a failed print, you can intuitively see how you want to improve the print, i.e. changing the paper support, or the exposure time, etc., but that's just my opinion.

Then again, I have some negatives, which I know what I want, but have not yet gotten a satisfactory print, so I am still learning.

FredW
02-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for this Fred. Diane said she would but must have had problems creating the thread!? Give me to nearer th time and I will see if I have something from the 10x8 pinhole. I must admit that I have moved to creating digital negs and am putting my effort in that direction!

Carl, if I had started doing alt processes now, I probably would also have pursued using digital negatives. But as I have the equipment, and still silly enough to haul it around, and film still readily available, I will stick to it for the moment. Anyway, I have too much fun looking at the 11x14 groundglass when in the field.

nick mulder
02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
I think to classify yourself as an expert, you should be able to look at a failed print, you can intuitively see how you want to improve the print, i.e. changing the paper support, or the exposure time, etc., but that's just my opinion.

Well, I can do all of that in Zia/Pt/Pd but you see I dont know what I dont know ... hence the Immediate so if you are lacking 'Experts' count me in that if you like. (somewhere between the two really I guess)

Its dependent on process also, if I were to send Gum Bichromates or Photogravure's I'd be beginner and Cyanotype Intermediate and so on ...

I plan on doing some Ziatype btw - looking forward to see some new processes and papers! (not to mention some nice images ;))

FredW
02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Sorry group, it appears that permission to re-edit a post only lasts for so long, and I appear to lack that permission. Moderators is this true?

So I will have to do it this way:

So far:
Fred - FredW (E)
Nick - Nick Mulder (I)
Diane - colrehogan (I)
Heather - Akki14 (I), Heather did you want to participate this round?

CarlRadford
02-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Fred - it maybe that Sean is the only person that can assign moderator status which is what I think you need to edit previous posts!

Akki14
02-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Yeah I can participate in this round. Could my level be left off for now? I'm intending on practicing gum printing lots so I might be a beginner in that (not decided what I want to do yet, though, give me a month or two...).

FredW
02-04-2008, 06:51 PM
OK, noted Heather. I will update when appropriate.

Allen Friday
02-07-2008, 08:56 PM
After taking a break from the last round, I would like to get back into the exchange. I will probably do a gum over pt. I am an E in platinum, but a B in gum over--I will be taking a workshop on gum over in April. So put me down as a B.

Allen Friday

nick mulder
02-08-2008, 12:30 AM
cant wait to see some of these processes,

Mine is just a boring ol' Pt print ... I might try cyanotype/Pd/Pd only if I dont have paper shrink issues - We'll see ;)

FredW
02-08-2008, 08:51 AM
So far,

Fred - FredW (E)
Nick - Nick Mulder (I)
Diane - colrehogan (I)
Heather - Akki14 (I)
Allen Friday - Allen Friday (B)