PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here collect & use Nikon F's?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

airgunr
02-16-2008, 02:24 PM
I've stlll got my FM2n, FE2 and FA along with my F5 & F6. I guess it's a small collection. I still shoot all of them at different times.

Anton Lukoszevieze
02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
I sold my Leica M2 to buy a black Nikon F with a plain prism. Basically because I couldn't afford the Leica lenses and found I love the big view I get with the slr. I use the older lenses too, 24mm, 50, 135, love them. Don't store your nice Nikon get out there and use it! :)

jimagain
02-16-2008, 03:31 PM
My home and studio burnt down in 1979 and I lost all of my gear (Canon F1's). A few days later I was looking in a camera store for a new (used) outfit and found a Nikon F for $75 with a broken FTn and a 50mm lens. The finder just needed a wire re-soldered. Otherwise it was mint. I still use it a lot. Never did get another Canon.

Uncle Bill
03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I can see the "F" sub-category being started at Apug now....

Time to go count my pennies..

That would not be a bad idea, I been hanging around the Nikon F and F2 pages at Photography in Malayisa too much today looking at all the nice gear and detailed information.

Bob-D659
03-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Don't collect them as such, the 3 F's and a Nikkormat FTn are the only 35mm cameras I own and use, except for a 6x9 Linhof. :)
Bought the first one used, has the Photomic external meter and a 5.8cm 1.4 lens, and acquired the rest of them over the last few decades.

I've noticed they are attention getters for the last 5 years or so, Last year someone remarked "Film, how quaint" they were carrying some massive digital thing that made a F FTn with a 135 on it look tiny.

I quipped back, "Film is forever, unlike computer data."

He was quite stunned looking after that for a couple of seconds.

I still use film and will as long as I can, having spent almost 40 years in the IT business, it's nice not to have to worry about backing up your holiday/vacation data. :)

Anyway, they are a nice match to the Durst D659 my son salvaged from a trip to the dumpster a couple of years ago. Man what a nice machine that is. It only had one owner, 40ish years old, lightly used..... A CLA and realign one lens to the autofocus cam and good as new.

Bob

Curt
03-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Not an antique one but an F3hp with a 50mm Micro Nikkor I bought new for BioMed photography. I love the high eyepoint as I wear glasses. Nikon is tops in my book.

Curt

Uncle Bill
03-05-2008, 06:31 AM
I got a F3HP for Christmas with an AIS 50/1.8 lens, it is a really sweet machine.

arigram
03-05-2008, 06:54 AM
My first camera was a Nikon F, bought by my father in 1967 in Ethiopia.
My father had the whole set: a large leather case, four lenses, macro bellows
and all. A slight accident that it had in China made me put it aside and then I switched to the Hasselblad I use now.
Fine machine with lots of sentimental value for me.

snegron
03-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Don't collect them as such, the 3 F's and a Nikkormat FTn are the only 35mm cameras I own and use, except for a 6x9 Linhof. :)
Bought the first one used, has the Photomic external meter and a 5.8cm 1.4 lens, and acquired the rest of them over the last few decades.

I've noticed they are attention getters for the last 5 years or so, Last year someone remarked "Film, how quaint" they were carrying some massive digital thing that made a F FTn with a 135 on it look tiny.

I quipped back, "Film is forever, unlike computer data."

He was quite stunned looking after that for a couple of seconds.

I still use film and will as long as I can, having spent almost 40 years in the IT business, it's nice not to have to worry about backing up your holiday/vacation data. :)

Anyway, they are a nice match to the Durst D659 my son salvaged from a trip to the dumpster a couple of years ago. Man what a nice machine that is. It only had one owner, 40ish years old, lightly used..... A CLA and realign one lens to the autofocus cam and good as new.

Bob

Interesting point about the F being "an attention getter". I was out with the family today at a small tourist place called "Old Town" in Kissimmee, Florida. I took a bag with two cameras:

1) an F with FTN meter head and 50mm 1.4 Nikkor AIS, and

2) a digital D200 with a 28-105 AF-D.

As I was shooting with my "tiny" F (compared to the D200 set up), many people stared, smiled and made comments about the F. After I ran out of film I put my F away and started using my much larger, bulkier, and way more noticeable D200. It was as if I was invisible! Not a stare, not a comment, not a nostalgic smile from anyone! Yes, I agree, the F is an attention getter despite its small size compared to bigger, bulkier SLR's and DSLR's. :)

p.s. I was only shooting pics of my daughters and some antique cars that were on display, not "street shooting" candids of anyone. The F turned just about as many heads as the antique cars did!

mysticeyes
03-09-2008, 10:38 AM
I've had two motorized so-called "Apollo" FTN bodies since the early 1980s that are still totally useful today; one of them is mated to an F36 motor that was one of the first ones built in 1959! They were my main cameras until about ten years ago, when I started acquiring F2's. Old Nikons were made to be used, I try to exercise each of mine a few times every year.

snegron
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I took this shot yesterday with my F (FTN metering prism), Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS. Funny thing about this is that as I was scanning this image of a Ford Edsel, my Epson 4870 flatbed scanner died. This scanner has been nothing but a headache since I purchased it a few years ago. I wonder if it was the curse of the Edsel that finally did it in? :)

RoNinHeart
03-09-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't think it was the Edsel curse. I think the Epson realized that it was a cheap piece of crap compared to the Nikon F and the Edsel and there was no way it could hope to still be in use in 50 years. So it threw in the towel.

I have a soft spot for old cameras and cars.

snegron
03-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't think it was the Edsel curse. I think the Epson realized that it was a cheap piece of crap compared to the Nikon F and the Edsel and there was no way it could hope to still be in use in 50 years. So it threw in the towel.

I have a soft spot for old cameras and cars.

I don't think my Epson is even 5 years old yet! In dog and computer years that's almost half a century though! :)

DCB12
08-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Just got a new to me F with a 35mm and 50mm period lenses....love this thing. It feels like an extension of my hand.

Peace

Andrew K
08-26-2014, 01:16 AM
I have a F Photomic - the original one with the external meter. I bought it because it came with both a 24mm/2.8 Nikon lens of the period and cost me $100 AUS....

THen I added a lens that has always fascinated me - a early version of the 45mm GN lens (it's the only Nikon lens that focusses the "correct" way)...

Then I boulght a 80-200 zoom for $30, a Micro Nikor 50mm which has very heavy focussing (I need to strip the helicoid and replace the lube- but for $5 who cares??). Oh, and a period 50mm f 2 for $20...

I've shot a bit with it - mostly with a borrowed Nikon 50/1.2, and the results are excellent....

Theo Sulphate
08-26-2014, 03:56 PM
The wonderful thing about the F is its simplicity and ruggedness.

After I bought my first Nikon, an F3/T, I became interested in their earlier cameras. Naturally, my mind was filled with visions of the FTN, which was so ubiquitous in news photos from the 1960's. After reading a book about the F and F2, I concluded that the F2 was much better; Nikon having fixed the flaws of their introductory F. After my F2's and F3/T's, I then became interested in the F4 (which I think is Nikon's best camera ever). Still, I couldn't help thinking about the F and that website in Switzerland (http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html) only increased my interest.

So, last year I finally bought a standard-prism F. It is absolutely wonderful. I love the feel, the sound, the simplicity. I could use this as my only camera.

Like a Ferrari, and much less expensive, everyone should own a Nikon F at least once.

E. von Hoegh
11-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Anyone here collect and use old Nikon F's? I know that there are many people out there who collect special versions of F bodies produced in the 1960's, but does anyone actually use them on a regular basis?

I have a couple of old F's, but I fell into the "collector's trap" with one of them. I purchased it to use it on a regular basis (Nikon F with standard prism) and it was advertised as being in EX condition. Turns out that it was in near mint condition. It looked so nice that I didn't want to ruin it by using it regularly. I know, it's an F and it was built for abuse, but it looks too pretty to use!

I have actually been thinking about getting a rougher looking F so I won't have any problems taking it everywhere and using it without worrying about messing up its appearance. The other F I have has the Ftn Photomic metering head. The meter still works (I'm using Wein batteries), but I was hoping to get a "lighter" F with the standard prism. I would get another prism, but apparantly the prisms are now selling for more than the F body itself!

Also, anyone using older Nikkor lenses with their old F's?

Nothing is built for abuse.

My main 'working' 35 system was built around the F, I've been using it since about 1995. Along the way I've acquired two Nikkormats, an FT and an FTN- $25 in both bodies - and an F2A with a dinged finder but the body looks like it's spent most of the time in a drawer since 1973, I doubt it's had 50 rolls through it - $100 shipped. Lenses, 20/3.5 28/3.5, 35/2, 50/2 x2, 55/3.5, 105/2.5 all pre AI; the 35/2 went through two pro's before I got it.

E. von Hoegh
11-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Anyone here collect and use old Nikon F's? I know that there are many people out there who collect special versions of F bodies produced in the 1960's, but does anyone actually use them on a regular basis?

I have a couple of old F's, but I fell into the "collector's trap" with one of them. I purchased it to use it on a regular basis (Nikon F with standard prism) and it was advertised as being in EX condition. Turns out that it was in near mint condition. It looked so nice that I didn't want to ruin it by using it regularly. I know, it's an F and it was built for abuse, but it looks too pretty to use!

I have actually been thinking about getting a rougher looking F so I won't have any problems taking it everywhere and using it without worrying about messing up its appearance. The other F I have has the Ftn Photomic metering head. The meter still works (I'm using Wein batteries), but I was hoping to get a "lighter" F with the standard prism. I would get another prism, but apparantly the prisms are now selling for more than the F body itself!

Also, anyone using older Nikkor lenses with their old F's?

Nothing is built for abuse.

My main 'working' 35 system was built around the F, I've been using it since about 1995. Along the way I've acquired two Nikkormats, an FT and an FTN- $25 in both bodies - and an F2A with a dinged but accurate finder but the body looks like it's spent most of the time in a drawer since 1973, I doubt it's had 50 rolls through it - $100 shipped. Lenses, 20/3.5 28/3.5, 35/2, 50/2 x2, 55/3.5, 105/2.5 all pre AI; the 35/2 went through two pro's before I got it.

MattKing
11-06-2014, 01:09 PM
I just realized that this thread was started in the "Antiques and Colleting" thread.

In my experience, telling a Nikon F owner that his/her camera is an "Antique" is very, very brave:whistling:

MontanaJay
11-14-2014, 09:05 PM
I bought my first F while still in high school in 1968 from a returning Vietnam vet, and added two more in college and during my newspaper career. Later added a Nikkormat FTN and a Nikon FM to go with a passel of lenses, because I couldn't afford the newer Nikons on a journalist's salary.
Can't say I use them much anymore, but they all still work despite living a rough life. They occasionally get use for time exposures of fireworks, lightning and the night sky -- including auroras.
I can still "see" in ASA 400 and can change film without setting the camera back down.