PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here collect & use Nikon F's?

Pages : 1 [2]

airgunr
02-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I've stlll got my FM2n, FE2 and FA along with my F5 & F6. I guess it's a small collection. I still shoot all of them at different times.

Anton Lukoszevieze
02-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I sold my Leica M2 to buy a black Nikon F with a plain prism. Basically because I couldn't afford the Leica lenses and found I love the big view I get with the slr. I use the older lenses too, 24mm, 50, 135, love them. Don't store your nice Nikon get out there and use it! :)

jimagain
02-16-2008, 02:31 PM
My home and studio burnt down in 1979 and I lost all of my gear (Canon F1's). A few days later I was looking in a camera store for a new (used) outfit and found a Nikon F for $75 with a broken FTn and a 50mm lens. The finder just needed a wire re-soldered. Otherwise it was mint. I still use it a lot. Never did get another Canon.

Uncle Bill
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
I can see the "F" sub-category being started at Apug now....

Time to go count my pennies..

That would not be a bad idea, I been hanging around the Nikon F and F2 pages at Photography in Malayisa too much today looking at all the nice gear and detailed information.

Bob-D659
03-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Don't collect them as such, the 3 F's and a Nikkormat FTn are the only 35mm cameras I own and use, except for a 6x9 Linhof. :)
Bought the first one used, has the Photomic external meter and a 5.8cm 1.4 lens, and acquired the rest of them over the last few decades.

I've noticed they are attention getters for the last 5 years or so, Last year someone remarked "Film, how quaint" they were carrying some massive digital thing that made a F FTn with a 135 on it look tiny.

I quipped back, "Film is forever, unlike computer data."

He was quite stunned looking after that for a couple of seconds.

I still use film and will as long as I can, having spent almost 40 years in the IT business, it's nice not to have to worry about backing up your holiday/vacation data. :)

Anyway, they are a nice match to the Durst D659 my son salvaged from a trip to the dumpster a couple of years ago. Man what a nice machine that is. It only had one owner, 40ish years old, lightly used..... A CLA and realign one lens to the autofocus cam and good as new.

Bob

Curt
03-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Not an antique one but an F3hp with a 50mm Micro Nikkor I bought new for BioMed photography. I love the high eyepoint as I wear glasses. Nikon is tops in my book.

Curt

Uncle Bill
03-05-2008, 05:31 AM
I got a F3HP for Christmas with an AIS 50/1.8 lens, it is a really sweet machine.

arigram
03-05-2008, 05:54 AM
My first camera was a Nikon F, bought by my father in 1967 in Ethiopia.
My father had the whole set: a large leather case, four lenses, macro bellows
and all. A slight accident that it had in China made me put it aside and then I switched to the Hasselblad I use now.
Fine machine with lots of sentimental value for me.

snegron
03-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Don't collect them as such, the 3 F's and a Nikkormat FTn are the only 35mm cameras I own and use, except for a 6x9 Linhof. :)
Bought the first one used, has the Photomic external meter and a 5.8cm 1.4 lens, and acquired the rest of them over the last few decades.

I've noticed they are attention getters for the last 5 years or so, Last year someone remarked "Film, how quaint" they were carrying some massive digital thing that made a F FTn with a 135 on it look tiny.

I quipped back, "Film is forever, unlike computer data."

He was quite stunned looking after that for a couple of seconds.

I still use film and will as long as I can, having spent almost 40 years in the IT business, it's nice not to have to worry about backing up your holiday/vacation data. :)

Anyway, they are a nice match to the Durst D659 my son salvaged from a trip to the dumpster a couple of years ago. Man what a nice machine that is. It only had one owner, 40ish years old, lightly used..... A CLA and realign one lens to the autofocus cam and good as new.

Bob

Interesting point about the F being "an attention getter". I was out with the family today at a small tourist place called "Old Town" in Kissimmee, Florida. I took a bag with two cameras:

1) an F with FTN meter head and 50mm 1.4 Nikkor AIS, and

2) a digital D200 with a 28-105 AF-D.

As I was shooting with my "tiny" F (compared to the D200 set up), many people stared, smiled and made comments about the F. After I ran out of film I put my F away and started using my much larger, bulkier, and way more noticeable D200. It was as if I was invisible! Not a stare, not a comment, not a nostalgic smile from anyone! Yes, I agree, the F is an attention getter despite its small size compared to bigger, bulkier SLR's and DSLR's. :)

p.s. I was only shooting pics of my daughters and some antique cars that were on display, not "street shooting" candids of anyone. The F turned just about as many heads as the antique cars did!

mysticeyes
03-09-2008, 09:38 AM
I've had two motorized so-called "Apollo" FTN bodies since the early 1980s that are still totally useful today; one of them is mated to an F36 motor that was one of the first ones built in 1959! They were my main cameras until about ten years ago, when I started acquiring F2's. Old Nikons were made to be used, I try to exercise each of mine a few times every year.

snegron
03-09-2008, 09:00 PM
I took this shot yesterday with my F (FTN metering prism), Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS. Funny thing about this is that as I was scanning this image of a Ford Edsel, my Epson 4870 flatbed scanner died. This scanner has been nothing but a headache since I purchased it a few years ago. I wonder if it was the curse of the Edsel that finally did it in? :)

RoNinHeart
03-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't think it was the Edsel curse. I think the Epson realized that it was a cheap piece of crap compared to the Nikon F and the Edsel and there was no way it could hope to still be in use in 50 years. So it threw in the towel.

I have a soft spot for old cameras and cars.

snegron
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't think it was the Edsel curse. I think the Epson realized that it was a cheap piece of crap compared to the Nikon F and the Edsel and there was no way it could hope to still be in use in 50 years. So it threw in the towel.

I have a soft spot for old cameras and cars.

I don't think my Epson is even 5 years old yet! In dog and computer years that's almost half a century though! :)

DCB12
08-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Just got a new to me F with a 35mm and 50mm period lenses....love this thing. It feels like an extension of my hand.

Peace

Andrew K
08-26-2014, 12:16 AM
I have a F Photomic - the original one with the external meter. I bought it because it came with both a 24mm/2.8 Nikon lens of the period and cost me $100 AUS....

THen I added a lens that has always fascinated me - a early version of the 45mm GN lens (it's the only Nikon lens that focusses the "correct" way)...

Then I boulght a 80-200 zoom for $30, a Micro Nikor 50mm which has very heavy focussing (I need to strip the helicoid and replace the lube- but for $5 who cares??). Oh, and a period 50mm f 2 for $20...

I've shot a bit with it - mostly with a borrowed Nikon 50/1.2, and the results are excellent....

Theo Sulphate
08-26-2014, 02:56 PM
The wonderful thing about the F is its simplicity and ruggedness.

After I bought my first Nikon, an F3/T, I became interested in their earlier cameras. Naturally, my mind was filled with visions of the FTN, which was so ubiquitous in news photos from the 1960's. After reading a book about the F and F2, I concluded that the F2 was much better; Nikon having fixed the flaws of their introductory F. After my F2's and F3/T's, I then became interested in the F4 (which I think is Nikon's best camera ever). Still, I couldn't help thinking about the F and that website in Switzerland (http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html) only increased my interest.

So, last year I finally bought a standard-prism F. It is absolutely wonderful. I love the feel, the sound, the simplicity. I could use this as my only camera.

Like a Ferrari, and much less expensive, everyone should own a Nikon F at least once.