PDA

View Full Version : Portra 160NC for Cirkut cameras - daylight loading?

mferrarini
03-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Inexperienced user (me) has a box of Portra 160NC, 24.5mm x 6ft, ostensibly for Cirkut cameras. I figure this to be a like a king size roll of 120, with a paper leader and backing, safe for daylight loading in the Cirkut film magazine, BUT.....the box says, in very,very small print, "open in total darkness". What should I do?

MikeSeb
03-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Open in total darkness.

jamie young
03-02-2008, 08:13 PM
If it's a real spooled cirkut roll you can daylight load, though avoiding direct sunlight is more than wise. I 'm guessing the warning is about unspooling and processing. If you aren't sure what's inside, open in total darkness and make sure it's a spooled roll with a paper leader
Jamie

c.d.ewen
03-02-2008, 11:15 PM
All the Cirkut film I've come across has been king sized 220 film, i.e., paper leader taped to film taped to paper trailer - no paper backing behind the film.

If you're careful, you can usually feel the tape boundary between the leader and the film pull passed the back of the shutter.

Charley

panoramic
03-02-2008, 11:57 PM
1. Open the magazine and put in the film spool with the tape band removed.

2. Attach leader to take up drum making sure it is not too high, low, or at a goofy angle.

3. close magazine and then run motor with slit OPEN (on some cameras it is optional).

4. Look in slit and watch film leader until first sign of film shows and immediately stop motor and close slit. It will not fog the rest of the film unless your magazine is facing the sun or your pressure plate is weak (unlikely). I've done it this way for thousands of rolls of film.

5. Put magazine on camera and take picture.

6. At end of exposure, release clutch and use your finger to put a little drag on the clutch while you rewind the film so the film is spooled tight.

7. if you over shot your film, you will need a changing bag. The trailer attached to the film is not enough to block light when the film is still on the take up drum.

Ron in Alaska