View Full Version : Let's all print one negative

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

MattKing
03-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Please add me to this list.

Matt

Jon King
03-06-2008, 07:42 PM
There are 15 now (I'm counting jgcull as a yes :) )

Naknak, I made in-camera duplicates of two scenes - one roll per scene, so there are plenty of negatives to go around, no waiting!

keeds
03-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Very interesting idea. I'll bite if there is still room. Thanks.

rst
03-07-2008, 04:27 AM
Hi Jon,

that sound interesting, so if there is still a free negative please count me in.

Thanks and ciao
-- Ruediger

Mick Fagan
03-07-2008, 05:51 AM
This sounds quite interesting!

Please count me in, if possible.

Mick.

Jon King
03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
This has been a great response! 18 people so far. This is a stronger response than I was expecting :D. There are 35 sets of negatives, so there is room for more.

I'll send out negatives on Monday, IF I have your address. I have addresses for Pete H, MartinB, Barry Dial, Mark Fisher, Ruediger and Mick , mostly from the Postcard exchange. If the others could PM me the address you want the negatives sent to, that would be great.

snallan
03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Jon, I'd like to have a go at this, I have PM'd my address.

Jon King
03-10-2008, 10:20 AM
OK, it's Monday, I have scissors, and I'm not afraid to use them :o

The list stands at 19, and I'm cutting out the negatives, and sending them to folks who have sent me their address.

I still need address information for suzanneR, jgjbowen, Rlibersky, jgcull, and naknak.

Presuming the negatives get to the furthest reaches of the globe (Australia) in a week or so, what are people's thoughts on how long we should allow for printing before anyone shows their handy work??

I hope everyone has a good time deciding what to do for a print(s). I tried to frame the images to give some different possibilities for framing, which was an interesting reversal of what I normally try to do - I guess we'll see if it worked . Enjoy!!

brian steinberger
03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Jon,

I got the negatives today. They look good! As far as the prints, are we printing both images or choosing one? What about cropping? Is that allowed? Are we looking for FB prints, or is RC ok as well?

rst
03-13-2008, 01:26 AM
... As far as the prints, are we printing both images or choosing one? What about cropping? Is that allowed? Are we looking for FB prints, or is RC ok as well?As I understand it, you have the negative and do whatever you want to do, be it cropping, dodging, burning or cutting holes into the negative ;) Handle it as you would handle your own negative. Am I right? Also paper, developer, toner and what else processing is up to you.

Regards
-- Ruediger

Jon King
03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
All the negatives are in the mail!!

There have been a few questions about rules/restrictions, so I'll try to put them all in one place. I'm not one for hard and fast rules, particularly in an exchange where the point is not to constrain our printing ideas!
Each envelope contains two negatives. Print one, print both, print them one way ,print them many ways. Use any techniques you want. FB/RC, silver gelatin, alternative processes... etc.
Please do NOT post them on APUG until say, April 11? That time will give us all a few weeks to get into the darkroom and try a few things out without the temptation of looking to see what others might be doing! If you can't post until later, that is fine.
Scan the end print, and post one, post all. It would be great if you can describe what your goal was, and how you got the print there.
If you can't scan the prints, you can send them to me and I will be happy to scan them.
As a separate effort from scanning and posting, I'd like to try to exchange the prints. Posting a scan will ensure that we all see a version of our results, but there is nothing like holding the real thing.
If you want to see the prints in person, send me a print for the 'collection', and we can send them around the group.
If I didn't think of something, let me know and let's figure it out.

rst
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I like the idea of sending the print collection around. To do so, it might be good to make the prints not too big. Well, if a restriction in size would not be too much of a restriction in creativity.

Regards
-- Ruediger

Síle
03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
All the negatives are in the mail!!

The negatives arrived this morning, thank you! They really look great.. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone makes of them !

Síle

snallan
03-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Got the negs today. This is going to be fun. :)

jgcull
03-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Jon, that was quick and a pleasant surprise when I collected the mail. Thanks. I'll get to work on it the first of the week.

Janet

Ole
03-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Nothing in the mail. :(

jgcull
03-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I find it very helpful to *see* (as this exchange allows) a correct negative. I shoot and process alone, with nobody EVER looking at my negative to give me advice or instruction. I'd love to know every detail you can give, Jon. How did you meter, how did you expose the shot? What was your orientation to the light and what time was it? What did you develop in, for how long, and what about agitation? Everything. I'm doing this for learning, so knowing about this negative I'm holding would be very helpful to me. I hope you don't mind my asking.

Thanks so much, again, for organizing this!

Janet

keithwms
03-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Okay, just got back from New Orleans. I look forward to printing this week! Thank you!

rst
03-17-2008, 06:39 AM
Hey Jonathan,

the negatives made it to Germany. Thanks. I will make a test print tonight and then settle on one or the other or on both ;)

I am very curious about all the different interpretations.

Regards
-- Ruediger

keeds
03-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Hi, negs made it to Suffolk, UK. Will do some straight prints soon and then decide how to progress. In two minds as to treat them how I normally print or try something new... Interesting...