PDA

View Full Version : Let's all print one negative

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Cara
03-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Jon,

Is it possible to still get in on this? I know the time frame is now shortened but I would love to participate. If yes, I will PM you my address.

Thanks

Cara

Jon King
03-17-2008, 11:25 AM
I find it very helpful to *see* (as this exchange allows) a correct negative.

I think they are 'typical' negatives, not 'correct'. I used FP4+ with D-76 1+1. The metering was using the meter in a Nikon F3. I planned on taking my spot meter, and properly meter the shadows, but after a short snowshoeing to get to the shot that has water in it... i realized the meter was home!! I took several readings, then made a guess. Next time I think I'll guess a bit longer exposure. The lighting in the other one was a bit easier, and I think(but I haven't printed them yet, so I don't know) that the shadow detail is denser in that one.

Just to say it again, for everyone... there is no limit on the number of prints to show, if you feel so inspired :). One is also a very good number.:)

Jon King
03-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Jon,

Is it possible to still get in on this? I know the time frame is now shortened but I would love to participate. If yes, I will PM you my address.

Thanks

Cara

I have a few extra sets of negatives, so sure!

keithwms
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Just to clarify: I am supposed to make only one print, right? And that goes to Jon and also gets scanned for the gallery?

Or am I supposed to make a bunch of prints for everybody?

Nice neg, by the way!

rst
03-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Just to clarify: I am supposed to make only one print, right? And that goes to Jon and also gets scanned for the gallery?

Or am I supposed to make a bunch of prints for everybody?
I think we are supposed to make a print and post a scan of it to the gallery. I will send my print(s) to Jonathan just in return for the negative.

I like the idea to have the collection of the originals being traveling around. But that is maybe a second story.

Regards
-- Ruediger

keithwms
03-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I like the idea to have the collection of the originals being traveling around. But that is maybe a second story.

I agree, and with this thought in mind, I will make a few spare prints.

jgcull
03-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of seeing all the prints. Maybe a travelling gallery, all in one envelope for comparisons (after we send them to Jon)?

Or maybe we could mail them all to Jon, then all fly in and stay with him in his home. His wife could feed us all. I think that sounds like fun. We could do some type of workshop while there. What d'ya think?

keithwms
03-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Seconded.

It is decided, then. Just let me know which date....

Rlibersky
03-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Received my negatives today. Hope to get at them this weekend

Jon King
03-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Seconded.

It is decided, then. Just let me know which date....

I can see a week long day time workshop/night time kegger.:D The wife and kids...nah, they won't mind a bit.... perhaps then we can take the group down South before we head overseas?? I figure I'll be needing some place to stay for a bit.

The cameras come along.. it is a photo trip after all :p.

Ole
03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
The neg's arrived!

Since there is already developer and fixer in the trays, I'll do a quick "check print" right now just to let it settle a little before I start printing. :)

Jon King
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I apologize for any confusion about what *needs* to be done. The downside of doing this quickly is that some details are getting figured out when people ask questions, not before and it all doesn't get put down in one place.

The "requirement"

*Make one print from either negative. Use any process you want, make whatever creative decisions on printing you want. Just make it something that fits the rules for posting on APUG :)

Please do not post it on APUG until April 11 or after. When you do post the scan on APUG, the more information you add, the more interesting it can be for us all.

If you don't have access to a scanner, I will gladly scan it for you.

Beyond that?

* If you want to try some other ideas or techniques out, make more prints from either or both negatives. Post on APUG.

* Exchange prints. I originally didn't propose this, so I don't want to add it to the"requirement". I do think seeing the prints in person can show so much more than a scan on a monitor can, but it will take longer to pass the prints around. If you would like to see the prints in person, send them to me after they is posted on APUG. When I collect the ones of people who want to do this part, I'll make a list of all the senders and start the prints on their way around the list. I'll PM my address to all participants, and it should also be on the envelopes.

brian steinberger
03-18-2008, 10:32 PM
I think the print exchange would be a great idea. Once all posted we could send them all to Jon. He could then send them all to the first person and they could go around to everyone. I personally would like to see them all as a collection. That's a great idea.

What do you all think?

jgcull
03-19-2008, 06:27 AM
>>>I personally would like to see them all as a collection. That's a great idea. What do you all think?<<<

I agree.

keeds
03-19-2008, 06:33 AM
I agree too. Should not cost much each to send on to next person (hopefully). I volunteer to pay Jon's costs to send the initial collection seeing as he's been so good as to organise this and get it going.

Síle
03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
I also agree, scanned images are a great representation of the original, but nothing beats holding them in your hands. I do agree with Jon however, that it shouldn't be a requirement or a necessity of this exchange.

Jon if you need any help with this just shout, I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

Keeds.. lovely gesture, on behalf of the rest of us, thank you :D

Síle

Jon King
03-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I also agree, scanned images are a great representation of the original, but nothing beats holding them in your hands. I do agree with Jon however, that it shouldn't be a requirement or a necessity of this exchange.

Jon if you need any help with this just shout, I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

Keeds.. lovely gesture, on behalf of the rest of us, thank you :D

Síle

Keeds, thank you for the offer. I think my reward will be that I get to see all the prints together before anyone else :D

Thank you too Síle. I believe that most of my work (besides actually making prints) is done. If there comes a point where I can share the effort, I will take you up on your kind offer.

Jon King
03-19-2008, 02:27 PM
I found a nice box (free, courtesy of the U.S. postal service) that will allow prints of up to 12x15 inches/(30x38cm).

I don't think I am going to make prints that large, but the shipping costs shouldn't be any higher when compared to a box that can fit just 8x10 inch/18x24cm prints, so we might as well have that option too.

Mick Fagan
03-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Well the negs arrived down under, just in time for a quick foray over Easter in the darkroom. I'll make a quick print off of each, then decide what to do in a weeks time.

Mick.

Mark Fisher
03-19-2008, 09:36 PM
I took a shot at the bucket negative and I made some OK proof prints, but nothing I was happy with. For some reason, I feel really free to interpret this in anyway I want to.....do something out of my normal bag of tricks........lith, toning, high key, low key. Maybe I'll even try to make a copy neg for platinum or bromoil.....never tried making a copy neg or bromoil. This might take a while (: