View Full Version : Let's all print one negative

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

04-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Whew - I got home rather suddenly today, but may be going back out in less than a week. Or more...

I'd better get to printing!

04-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Well. I've printed one. Just have to think what I want to do with the other.

04-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Well, I also printed one of them and the interesting experience was, that it is very different to print other peoples negatives compared to printing my own and it is very difficult to me. So I am pretty much disappointed with what I produced. I may get a second chance before April 11. The print is on my desk and I look at it every day ...

-- Ruediger

Mark Fisher
04-07-2008, 07:24 AM
I tried to print on of them at least 3 different ways. I'll probably post what I have on April 11, but I'm still not happy. It is amazingly hard to print someone elses negative.

Jon King
04-08-2008, 07:07 AM
I printed these negatives again last night. I have one version that I think is reasonable.

If you think it is tough printing someone else's negative, try printing one that you took and others are printing too!!:p I feel that since I shot the negatives, I should try to print both, so I will try the other one next time I'm in the darkroom.

I hope to have one place on APUG to put all the scans. I have a message into Sean, several days ago, asking him to make a separate gallery for these prints. If I don't hear from him today, I'll ask the moderators too, I guess. Somehow we'll have a spot.

04-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Asking the moderators doesn't really help, since only Sean can set up new sub-galleries.

I know, because I've tried. ;)

Jon King
04-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Asking the moderators doesn't really help (snip)

Ole, I'm shocked!!

Based on reading some threads, I thought you moderators were all powerful and all knowing :p ... oh, I forgot sinister ;).

I sent a 2nd request/reminder to Sean...

Thomas Bertilsson
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I found time to print one of the negs the other day, the one with the water and the bridge in the background. Not sure about my achievements yet... I'll keep trying. It's the kind of subject matter I would normally try to print fairly straight, but I'm trying to do something special with it. That's all I can reveal, or Jon said he's beat me with his cable release.

- Thomas

Jerry Basierbe
04-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the results from this. I would have gotten in but I've been to busy with printing for a show I have coming up along the usual other stuff. Hopefully the next one if you do it again.
It was fun doing one of Sexton's.

Jon King
04-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Ok, it's the 11th, so the cable release is back on the camera :p I haven't heard from Sean about making a separate gallery area, so our choices seem to be post them in the thread or in our own galleries. I tried to post into the general "Member Organized Function" area, but it doesn't allow postings. I'll post mine here.

I made the first prints from the negatives after I had sent the initial group out, so I didn't have any more time to look at them than anyone else. The first night I just made a quick 8x10 'work print' of each - I often find it easier to look at cropping choices on a print rather than a negative.

This print is my third choice on the sap bucket negative. It is printed on Kentmere Fineprint FB glossy paper. I selenium toned it, which had more of an impact than selenium does on my more commonly used Ilford Multigrade.

I plan to spend some time in the next week printing the Covered Bridge/River picture and I'll post that when it is done.

04-11-2008, 01:28 AM
How funny, I did nearly the same and also in square. I have done two versions. One on Kentmere Fineprint FB which I only toned a bit in Moersch Vario Sulfur and one on Ilford FB Warmtone also toned in Moersch Vario Sulfur but this time I bleached back quite a bit before putting it into the toner and now it has a lot of color. So since we already have nearly the same crop, let me show another color ;)

04-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Yikes! :o

My crop of this image is almost identical to the two shown so far! The cropping was so severe that I was almost certain that no one else would see the image this way! Shows ya how much I know, huh? I have printed what bromoilists call a "dark print" (overexposed on Kentmere Fineprint) and will bleach/tan the matrix this weekend in preparation for inking it with lithographic inks next week.

How funny, I did nearly the same and also in square. I have done two versions. One on Kentmere Fineprint FB which I only toned a bit in Moersch Vario Sulfur and one on Ilford FB Warmtone also toned in Moersch Vario Sulfur but this time I bleached back quite a bit before putting it into the toner and now it has a lot of color. So since we already have nearly the same crop, let me show another color ;)

04-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Well here is a print from the river neg. I have to say it was a lot harder to envision a picture from a neg I didn't shoot, then I thought it would be.

I cropped in on the water and a rock. Developed in Burke and James Cold Tone from the darkroom cookbook. On Agfa VC paper.

04-16-2008, 06:36 PM
1) http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pizwyqmPtNvTRG72jxmkFaPqfcK1Rz4GrBD5rTDkYNJjtr2i djrfWL--8NoPD5AJuLgy1kbFkHDk

2) http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pizwyqmPtNvTf--FJG5sOQnKnuAHwFSf9qs1kwvFWs7PMygK9ToiY5lbE1gWFiLFA EG8KhbCA1Xk

These are two -in a series of eight- pictures that I printed in Fuji's Crystal Archive Paper using Tetenal RA-4 chems.
John kindly scanned the prints and emailed them to me.So,here it is what I did but afraid that prints are overcompressed. I had to upload them to Windows Live Spaces and give the link to bring them here.I don't know how it could be better.The ''thumbnail technic'' is out of my ''advanced'' (!) digital knowledge.-

04-18-2008, 06:38 AM
I liked them full frame. Printed on Ilford MG IV processed in Ilford cool tone dev

04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Here's a bromoil print of the sap bucket. Paper: Kentmere Fineprint finegrain matte. Several colors of litho inks: blue, dark brown, yellow ochre and orange. Image size: 7 x 7 inches. It will a few weeks befor I can print the second image as I'm leaving next week on holiday for two or three weeks.

Mark Fisher
04-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I printed this awhile ago, but it really was not what I wanted. I'm not getting around to reprinting so I figured I'd post what I have. It is printed on Forte Polywarmtone as a lith print in Rollei lith developer (1:20 plus about 25% old brown). It was bleached and toned with selenium then in gold. The intent was that the snow would be slightly blueish and the trees a warmer brown/black. The gold cooled the highlights a little, but not very much.

04-20-2008, 02:59 PM
What print postings I've seen so far all look really great, and I find it fascinating that so many chose the same or similar crop ..

When I signed up for this project I had hoped my darkroom would be ready in plenty of time to take part.. As yet it's not finished, but a friend has kindly offered me the use of one for next weekend, so hopefully I'll get one or both prints done then even if they are late (very late!)..

This has been a really fascinating project and has been a great insight into other peoples printing, their ideas and techniques all through working with the same raw material. Thank you for starting it Jon.

brian steinberger
04-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Here are the ones that I have so far. They are split-grade printed on Ilford MGIV in LPD 1:4. The one on the left was toned in selenium 1:9 for 3 minutes. I cropped the image to the ratio of 1x1.25. I cropped all off the left hand side. It's a pretty straight forward print.

In my opinion the image looks best printed in straight black and white, no color toning. I tried a slight sepia toning along with selenium for cold shadows and warm highlights but did not like the result, but I posted it below (right) anyway.

04-21-2008, 06:11 AM
Finally managed to get a scan that approximates my print! :)

Printed on Ilford MG FB Warmtone, developed in Beer's #4.

From my initial contacts, I knew I wanted to print at a fairly hard grade to keep the sparkle in the snow, but I wanted a softer grade for the river to make the most of its tonal range. As the river doesn't have a nice clean border down the right-hand side, I decided to bleach the latent image, rather than try split grade printing. For the print posted, I gave a single exposure at grade 4, then bathed the print in a bath prepared using 5ml/l of my LIB stock (0.1% m/v Potassium Ferricyanide) for two minutes. I had no need to make any adjustment for speed-loss on bleaching.

In the straight print, the foreground snow, and whitetops on the river were pretty dull due to being in the shade, so I did some selective bleaching to enhance the highlights that were present.

To finish the print I wanted to tone with gold, to give the snow a nice cold blue tone, but I wanted to keep some warmth in the river. So I toned for 4˝ minutes with selenium toner (1+9), washed, and finished with gold toner for ten minutes.

http://www.essenay.com/images/lapon - river.jpg