PDA

View Full Version : So what's out there in SoCal?

gr82bart
03-10-2008, 08:28 AM
So are there any decent traditional photographic art centers in the Los Angeles area?

In the East Coast around NYC to Boston corridor, there are a number of places like ICP, the Creative Arts Workshop, Maine, RISD, the Center for Historical and Alternative Photography, the Valley Photo Center, Peter's Valley Center, etc... that have traditional, alternative and historical photography classes, workshops, seminars and darkroom facilities.

What the are equivalent resources/centers in the SoCal area? Are there any?

Thanks, Art.

eric
03-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I know, not much down here. There's the Getty, and the place in Balboa in San Diego. I guess we are close to MOnterey, so you can always get to Carmel. Not sure where all the Hollywood glamour from the heyday are, I"m sure someone living in L.A. can tell.

Tom Hoskinson
03-10-2008, 12:30 PM
So are there any decent traditional photographic art centers in the Los Angeles area?

In the East Coast around NYC to Boston corridor, there are a number of places like ICP, the Creative Arts Workshop, Maine, RISD, the Center for Historical and Alternative Photography, the Valley Photo Center, Peter's Valley Center, etc... that have traditional, alternative and historical photography classes, workshops, seminars and darkroom facilities.

What the are equivalent resources/centers in the SoCal area? Are there any?

Thanks, Art.

Freestyle always has exhibits and offers a variety of workshops.

See: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum261/42912-freestyle-creative-center-photography-present-three-generations-weston.html#post525919

Many of the SoCal Universities, Galleries and Art Schools are good resources.

Tom Hoskinson
03-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I know, not much down here. There's the Getty, and the place in Balboa in San Diego. I guess we are close to MOnterey, so you can always get to Carmel. Not sure where all the Hollywood glamour from the heyday are, I"m sure someone living in L.A. can tell.

Eric, were you referring to The Museum of Photographic Arts in Balboa Park?

Great resource!

http://www.mopa.org/

eric
03-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Eric, were you referring to The Museum of Photographic Arts in Balboa Park?

Great resource!

http://www.mopa.org/

Yep, that's it. Been there once.

kman627
03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
MOPA in Balboa Park is great. It's free the second Tuesday of every month.

Shmoo
03-11-2008, 05:22 PM
MOPA in Balboa Park is great. It's free the second Tuesday of every month.

AND - it's located in one of the most photographic areas in the state!!!
:)

spark
03-11-2008, 07:28 PM
You can see what's to see at the LA County Museum online:
http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/mwebcgi/mweb.exe?request=browpage;dept=photo

gr82bart
03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Hmmm ... thanks for the responses so far people. I do like visiting galleries, but that's not really what I was looking for. I'm looking for centers that offer classes, workshops, seminars, darkroom rentals, etc... that sort of thing. With a focus on Photography - traditional and historical even better.

I've been to the Getty and Balboa Park in SD. Great places to see pics, I agree. Freestyle is fantastic store and I've been there several times too. They've outsourced their workshops to Julia Dean, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I was hoping that there was a gem in the sand - like a La La Land Center for Photographic Arts that has alternative printing workshops once a month, outings in the summer, darkroom rentals at a discount, etc... alas, I can dream ...

Regards, Art.

Shmoo
03-11-2008, 11:04 PM
There are the Julia Dean workshops, Otis College of the Arts, The Art Center College of Design, UCLA Extension, if that's what you're looking for.

Sirius Glass
03-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Hmmm ... thanks for the responses so far people. I do like visiting galleries, but that's not really what I was looking for. I'm looking for centers that offer classes, workshops, seminars, darkroom rentals, etc... that sort of thing. With a focus on Photography - traditional and historical even better.

Contact Per Volquartz through APUG for darkroom classes that are well worth the cost. He lives in Pasadena.

Steve

gr82bart
03-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks Shmoo! That's exactly what I was looking for - especially Otis and ACCD. Though I wish there were more smaller 'art centers' that offered traditional photography workshops and classes, like there are on the East Coast (and around San Francisco). I'll eventually find them all when I get out there.

Regards, Art.

Shmoo
03-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Also, from what I can tell, San Diego City College has a rather extensive series of photography classes as well. In the Santa Barbara area there's Brooks... Oh yeah, and Santa Monica College has a VERY extensive photography program as well.

S

Wade D
03-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Also, from what I can tell, San Diego City College has a rather extensive series of photography classes as well. In the Santa Barbara area there's Brooks... Oh yeah, and Santa Monica College has a VERY extensive photography program as well.

S

I attended San Diego City College in the early 70's and received an AA in Photography. I don't know what the current class line up is but back then
classes were taught by working and retired pros. They not only taught the craft of photography but the business side as well. Very well worth it.

billdlv
03-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks Shmoo! That's exactly what I was looking for - especially Otis and ACCD. Though I wish there were more smaller 'art centers' that offered traditional photography workshops and classes, like there are on the East Coast (and around San Francisco). I'll eventually find them all when I get out there.

Regards, Art.

Santa Monica College has an excellent photography department, they also have community service classes in black and white printing and other topics.

www.smc.edu

http://commed.smc.edu/

Bill

bvstaples
05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey:

Sorry for not responding immediately and I hope you still find this useful.

I live in San Diego. Like you, I too wanted more than museum visits (though I love having MOPA here), and sought out alternative sources for photographic inspiration and direction. Here’s a web site to get you started:

http://www.scacc.us/

It lists various clubs in the San Diego area, and they offer workshops, lectures, field trips, and general camaraderie with other imagers. The Polyphoto Club (www.polyphotoclub.com/) is quite active in a wide variety of areas.

Another wonderful source is Grossmont College (www.gcccd.edu) on the western edge of El Cajon, and easily accessible from most areas of San Diego. They have a phenomenal photography curriculum there, everything from tradition and digital arts, to large format, alternative processes, and an occasional historical lecture class. The professors there are top flight photographers and artist in their own right (google Suda House or Paul Turounet-just two of a staff of wonderful artists), and they just completed a state-of-the-art analog and digital photography lab. Take just one course a semester, cost around $100, and you will get more than you can dream of.

Hope this helps.

BVS