PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 CLA in the twin cities

ethylphenethylamine
03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
I recently purchased a 4x5 B+J View Camera (grey with red bellows) and I would love to get a good CLA on the lenses. Any suggestions on someone to take it to? I would rather not ship it off if possible.

Thanks
Josh

Lee L
03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
There used to be a guy in south Minneapolis who worked on shutters, lenses, machined lens boards, etc, but I don't recall his name, or know if he's still in business. He worked out of his home in the mid-80's. You might ask around at studios. I only needed him once for a minor item.

There also used to be an independent repair shop in downtown Mpls that was factory authorized for almost any brand, and should be able to help you. Sorry, don't recall that name either... looked it up... Marquette Camera Repair, which used to be downtown Mpls on Marquette, but has apparently moved.

Ask at West Photo or National Camera Exchange if you can't get a line otherwise. The people who've been at either place for a while might be able to help.

Lee

mgb74
03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Marquette is now in Golden Valley, about 1/2 mile from National Camera.

There was a guy in S. Minneapolis who did repair work and passed away about 5-10 years ago. He may be the one referred to in the prior post.

My suggestion: Paul Ebel in Wisconson. The last number I have for him is 651-335-8759 (he used to be in St. Paul).

zenrhino
03-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I still get bummed every time I drive by the Dunn Bro's on Lake where Custom Camera used to be.

Someone like the Flutots would make a killing up here, one would think.

ethylphenethylamine
03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
I called Paul and he can work on both of the lenses which is great news. Thanks for the info!

He also seems like a super nice guy and was more than happy to answer any ?s i had.

Lee L
03-19-2008, 06:45 PM
There was a guy in S. Minneapolis who did repair work and passed away about 5-10 years ago. He may be the one referred to in the prior post.

Very likely. I didn't know how old he was, and when I searched on the person I was going to mention as a reference who would know the repair guy's name for sure, I found that he'd died in 2005. I moved away almost 22 years ago now, but certainly no one in Minnesota is getting any older in the interim, right?

Lee