PDA

View Full Version : MINNESOTA APUG FALL GATHERING

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Andrew Moxom
03-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Sorry for the caps, but I wanted to gauge interest earlier than last year when we had our first northern MN gathering. That said, we had a lot of interest last year but only a few takers who committed. I hope that with better planning and scheduling, we can get a lot better turn out.

I know many folks will be going to Bill's Northern Michigan gathering this summer, I am unable to attend unfortunately.... If we know what dates to work and plan around for, I am hopeful we can get good turn outs without impacting the other gatherings going on.

So this year for MN, I took into account folks wanting to go a little later in September. I was thinking about Thursday September 11th through Monday 15th. We will have a full moon on Monday 15th also so we could have potential for good night shots. Last year we went on September 7th, so we are only a week further out. Let's see if this works for everyone.

It's open to anyone, so let's start getting the dates confirmed, and scheduled, and figure out who's coming. I'm volunteering to organize this year again.

I figure on camping again in my trailer, and am not sure if others are camping, or hotelling it. Personally, the trailer was a blast last time, and I think that camping at Temperance River State park is the right answer. It's well kept, has power and water hookups, and is right in the middle of everything.

Thanks

Andy

eclarke
03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Sorry for the caps, but I wanted to gauge interest earlier than last year when we had our first northern MN gathering. That said, we had a lot of interest last year but only a few takers who committed. I hope that with better planning and scheduling, we can get a lot better turn out.

I know many folks will be going to Bill's Northern Michigan gathering this summer, I am unable to attend unfortunately.... If we know what dates to work and plan around for, I am hopeful we can get good turn outs without impacting the other gatherings going on.

So this year for MN, I took into account folks wanting to go a little later in September. I was thinking about Thursday September 11th through Monday 15th. We will have a full moon on Monday 15th also so we could have potential for good night shots. Last year we went on September 7th, so we are only a week further out. Let's see if this works for everyone.

It's open to anyone, so let's start getting the dates confirmed, and scheduled, and figure out who's coming. I'm volunteering to organize this year again.

I figure on camping again in my trailer, and am not sure if others are camping, or hotelling it. Personally, the trailer was a blast last time, and I think that camping at Temperance River State park is the right answer. It's well kept, has power and water hookups, and is right in the middle of everything.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,
Now I'm hooked on this North Shore, count me in...Thanks...Evan Clarke

zenrhino
03-24-2008, 06:29 PM
I'll join you guys for at least a day or two. North shore in the fall? Not sure I could pass that up.

mgb74
03-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Fall outing? I read this and thought I fell asleep for 3-4 months! :)

Seriously, great idea to toss out dates early. I'm interested, depending on travel schedule, at least for the weekend. I would plan on camping, perhaps at one of the cart in sites.

Here's a link to park info if anyone wants: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/temperance_river/index.html

JoelTruckenbrod
03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
I wish I could make it, but I'll be tied up student teaching at the time...bleh.:(

Just a suggestion, but you probably will have better results late September rather than in the beginning. My experience has been that "peak" is generally later in the month; though, it will vary depending on rainfall, etc. Also, the maples seem to turn quicker than the many of the birch groves. So, if you plan on shooting from Oberg/Leveaux that might be a consideration.

Just for kicks Here's a couple from the last week of September '06, 4x5 on various fuji film:

Clearing Storm, Carlton Peak
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/CarltonPeak1.jpg

Overhanging Autumnal Birch, Devil Track River
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/DevilsTrackFall-06.jpg

Thomas Bertilsson
04-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm probably interested again, Andy. It was so much fun last year!

Joel, I think Andrew is thinking in terms of black & white photography, so the colors are of less consideration. For color work, I believe you're right.
Nice photographs!

- Thomas

deisenlord
04-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I certainly will try to make it if at all possible.
Ike

Andrew Moxom
04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Okay, here is the list of attendees so far:-
Andrew Moxom
Mgb74
Zenrhino
Eclarke
Thomas Bertilsson
Deisenlord

It's only 5 months away now!!

ricksplace
04-09-2008, 01:06 PM
I tried to make it last year, and couldn't. This fall I will make it for sure. I can be there by Fri. evening.
Temperance River sounds like a great idea.

Rick

JoelTruckenbrod
04-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Sorry for the confusion/misinterpretation of your objectives. I guess I just naturally associate the word "fall" with the changing of the leaves. Best of luck everyone! I'm sure it will be a blast.

Thomas Bertilsson
04-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Joel, I didn't mean to imply that you can't come along or anything... It's just that most of the people attending I think will be shooting b&w. No exclusivity or anything (geez, re-reading my own post I almost come off as if there were, though. Sorry about that!)
But you are right, the peak colors are probably not at that precise point in time.

The more the merrier... :)

- Thomas

zenrhino
04-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Sorry for the confusion/misinterpretation of your objectives. I guess I just naturally associate the word "fall" with the changing of the leaves. Best of luck everyone! I'm sure it will be a blast.

Yeah, I'm not going all that way north and not shooting some Velvia in 6x7. That's like going to Arthur Bryants BBQ and just having the fries! :D

Andrew Moxom
05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Just a gentle nudge for folks thinking about attending this gathering. Here's who we have so far:-

Andrew Moxom
Mgb74
Zenrhino
Eclarke
Thomas Bertilsson
Deisenlord

Dates are tentatively set for Thursday September 11th through Monday 15th... Only 4 months to go.

deisenlord
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
September 4 months away... Hopefully it will be warm by then...
Ike

bill schwab
05-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Pencil me in on this one guys. it's a busy year, but I can't wait to get back up there. Seeing Evan signed up makes it even more interesting! I just might bring the new wet plate trailer on this one if gas is still below 8 bucks a gallon.

gminerich
05-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Andy:

I'm in.

George

Andrew Moxom
05-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey George, I knew you were going, but thought you no longer came onto APUG anymore.

Thomas Bertilsson
05-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Nice to see this one bumped in the order of things. Good reminder on a Friday morning when work looks insurmountable... :) Better to think about photography.
I'm really glad to see that this many people are interested in coming. Last year we ended up being only three people in the fall gathering.

Andy, I'm glad that you're taking the initiative as I would find it hard to fit into my schedule to do. I'll help with anything I can, though.

- Thomas

Andrew Moxom
05-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks Thomas, no problem with me doing the organizing....It's supposed to be fun! :-D It would be really cool to see Bill, Ike and others up here this year. Especially if Bill brings his his wet plate set up! I do have to ask about an itinerary and format of the trip. Last year we camped out at Schroeder MN. We stayed in one place, and I know that other gatherings move around somewhat. As some folks are camping, I'd like to keep the amount of moving to a minimum, but am not sure how that fits with everyone. This year, the original plan was to camp at the Temperance River State park as it's so central to other spots along the shore that are easily driveable to. So I'd like to get a concensus, does this suit everyone, or should we plan on moving camp to other areas a few times? Or do we stay put centrally and have a base to go to and from during our stay? I'm open to any ideas. I do not know who would plan on camping, and or staying in a hotel though, and I think the hotel/B+B stayers might have more flexibility than the campers. Either way, lets explore our options, and start to lock in a plan. To me, the camping is part of the adventure of going and taking pictures, but it's not that for all people. So please let me know what your preference is. Here is how we can do it. List whether you'd like to camp in one central place, Camp and move around, Hotel it and stay in one place, Hotel it and move around?

Andrew Moxom preference to camp centrally located at Temperence River State Park, and move camp if need be
Mgb74 preference ??
Zenrhino preference ??
Eclarke preference ??
Thomas Bertilsson preference ??
Deisenlord preference ??
George Minerich preference ??
Bill Schwab preference ??

Thanks... I'm looking forward to it!

Thomas Bertilsson
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Camp in one central place. I find stuff to photograph anywhere. I could stay at the Temperance River alone for a whole week and wanting more. It would be nice to have some sort of reference point each night so we could get together and shoot the shit when the day comes to an end. Perhaps the campground would be nice, because we can build a fire and sit outside (weather dependent, of course).

So I vote for staying in one spot and moving around by car.

- Thomas