PDA

View Full Version : Minolta RF's?

Chaplain Jeff
03-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Hello,

Does anyone here shoot / collect Minolta RF's?

I have a half dozen Leicas, but my favorite RF's are still my Minoltas.

Here's what I have (all in working EXC to MINT- condition):

Minolta 35 Model II, w/ 45mm and 13.5cm Rokkor lenses

Minolta Super A, w/ 35mm and 50mm lenses and Super A light meter

Minolta A2

Minolta 7sII (one black, one chrome)

Minolta 9

Minolta 11

Minolta CLE, w/ 28mm and 40mm Rokkor-M lenses

I shoot the CLE the most, but love taking one of the others out and shooting for a day. My best images come from the CLE and the 7sII. The Super A is a great indoor camera when using a flash.

My daughter, who is 8, shoots with the A2, "because it looks like dad's cameras". It is now officially hers - I should take it off this list.

Anyone else shooting Minoltas?

Jeff M

Uncle Goose
04-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Before I stepped up to Medium Format is used a Minolta XD7, not exactly a rangefinder but it was a very nice camera, still have it as backup. Those Rokkor lenses are just fabulous, very sharp and not utterly expensive at the bay.

Marc Akemann
04-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I have a soft spot for Minolta because my very first 35mm camera was a Minolta SRT-102 back when I was a teenager. But I have had a couple of rangefinder Minoltas. One that I still have, an A3, is a really nice looking, nice working piece of metal and glass. The guy I bought it from said it was rare and, actually, I've never seen another since I bought it back in '96. Probably not worth much, though. I'll see if I can scan some slides taken with this camera a couple of years ago.

I had a Minoltina-P at one time, which gave a beautifully smooth sharpness to the photos I took with it. I should have kept that one. It's from the early 60's and may qualify more as a point 'n' shoot but it was a nice camera.

I also have an 11 like you have, Jeff. Haven't used it in almost 10 years. I release the shutter once in a while, as it still works.

I've always thought about getting into the Super A and 35 systems but never have, yet. Also considered the CLE but I'd rather stick to the mechanicals, although the CLE is quite tempting.

Marc

luvcameras
04-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Here is my Minolta-35 RF Page from years ago

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/minolta.htm

Dan

Chaplain Jeff
04-13-2008, 06:46 AM
That's cool!

It's actually one of the sites I looked at when determining which 35 to get.

So, do you have all of those, or just compiled the information from reading?

Either way it's a great web page.

Jeff M

Bender
07-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here...!

I have a Minola Hi-Matic 7 and a Hi-Matic 7s. The 7 takes really great pics, the 7s (was my dad's camera - he passed away recently) shutter doesn't work.

I'm interested in getting a Minolta Hi-matic 9, an E, and maybe a 7s II.

Chaplain Jeff
07-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Hi Bender,

If you like the feel of the 7 / 7s, get a 9. They are similar in size and function - so much so you might not notice a difference (or justify having both). The 7sII is my favorite of the non-interchangeable lens Minolta RF's. It is smaller than the 7, 7s and 9 - about the size of the CLE. It also feels "tighter", better made in my opinion.

I don't know much about the E except what I've read online. Never used one.

If you want to get your dad's camera working, there are a number of people out there who specialize in RF repair and are very reasonable. I can put you in touch with one or two names if you're interested.

Jeff M