PDA

View Full Version : New Compensating Process Timer

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Peter De Smidt
04-11-2008, 08:54 PM
15c should be ok.

Fintan
04-12-2008, 02:02 AM
One useful function of my current timer, is when I set it for say 5 mins for a lith print, if just approching 4 mins I think the print is going to pop I can ignore the timer beeps and it just keeps timing past the 5 minutes so for the next print I know to set it for 5 mins 25 sec for example.

RH Designs
04-12-2008, 03:28 AM
One useful function of my current timer, is when I set it for say 5 mins for a lith print, if just approching 4 mins I think the print is going to pop I can ignore the timer beeps and it just keeps timing past the 5 minutes so for the next print I know to set it for 5 mins 25 sec for example.

You can set it to run on past the zero point - it then counts up until you stop it. Then you can add that to the programmed time for the next print.

RH Designs
04-12-2008, 03:35 AM
Thank you for your replies. I could not live without my StopClock Pro. you obviously put alot of thought into your gear, so thanks. By the way, how much is this timer likely to cost?

Introductory price ú149 inc VAT (ú126.81 outside the EU area), likely to rise towards the end of the year.

Fintan
04-12-2008, 08:17 AM
You can set it to run on past the zero point - it then counts up until you stop it. Then you can add that to the programmed time for the next print.

Excellent

hka
04-16-2008, 02:40 AM
If I read this thread well than the draintime is set at 10 seconds. I think that this will be to short for draining a large tank in a Jobo CPP or simular.
My excisting ProcessMaster now counts 15 seconds and that will be okÚ. Is there any possibility to change that to 15 seconds?

RH Designs
04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
If I read this thread well than the draintime is set at 10 seconds. I think that this will be to short for draining a large tank in a Jobo CPP or simular.
My excisting ProcessMaster now counts 15 seconds and that will be okÚ. Is there any possibility to change that to 15 seconds?

I'm trying to convince the software man that this is a good idea; hopefully I will manage it!

GeorgesGiralt
04-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Hi Richard !
It would be nice to be able to find the user manual as soon as possible in order to figure if this will be the "must have" .....
Maybe you can amend the original Process Timer manual ???
Have a nice day !

RH Designs
04-19-2008, 03:12 AM
It would be nice to be able to find the user manual as soon as possible in order to figure if this will be the "must have" .....

Of course it's a "must have", Georges :D. Seriously though, the manual is usually the last thing that gets done as it requires a finished unit. It will appear on the web site in due course but we're still finalising the software etc.

hka
04-20-2008, 10:45 AM
If it works like you said I'am very interested. Keep us informed.

mwtroxell
04-26-2008, 10:19 PM
If the final model is as good as the specs listed here then I'll order one. I'll also recommend it for the new darkroom at the college where I work.

RH Designs
05-22-2008, 07:18 AM
The ProcessMaster II is now expected towards the end of next month (June) and details are now available on our web site (http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/processmaster.html) together with a pre-order facility. You can place an order now for despatch as soon as available; no funds will be debited until despatch.

The countdown now ticks the last 15 seconds, and there are over- and under-temperature warnings, and a probe-disconnected warning. These only activate if the program step calls for temperature compensation. If compensation is set and the step started with the probe disconnected, the timer runs at normal seconds speed.

The features and specification on the web page are correct as of today but may change slightly between now and product launch.

panastasia
05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
I love my RH Designs timer. It's great!

At one time, I had a Zone VI compensating developing timer. It was the worst piece of darkroom equipment I've ever had. It had to be fixed 4 times, and of course it took awhile for me to figure out that it was broken! So I'm happy that RH Designs is going to build a better one, right?

I have a Zone VI unit - bought new - that has been working fine for years (attached to wall). If they get tossed around, which mine did for a while, they could malfunction like any other electronic device. I like it's simplicity.

It's good to know of something to replace it, if needed.

ITD
05-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I use stainless steel tanks - you mentioned holding the temperature probe on the outside with a blu-tak or tape arrangement (IIRC) - how effective is this in determining the temperature of the chemistry and therefore correctly compensating for time?

Cheers

RH Designs
06-24-2008, 03:01 AM
I use stainless steel tanks - you mentioned holding the temperature probe on the outside with a blu-tak or tape arrangement (IIRC) - how effective is this in determining the temperature of the chemistry and therefore correctly compensating for time?

Apologies for not getting to this sooner. I'd recommend using a water bath and placing the probe in that rather than attaching it to the tank. This is good practice anyway especially if you temper the chemicals in the bath as well prior to using them. Attaching the probe to the tank should work, but its effectiveness will depend on how good the contact between the probe and tank is, and how much insulation the attachment method provides. My first attempt with Blu-Tak failed miserably because I forgot that massaging the Blu-Tak before use heats it up significantly. The timer took off at high speed!

We're just putting the finishing touches to the product and I hope to ship the first batch this week. The User Manual will be on our web site in the next few days.

jstraw
06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Apologies for not getting to this sooner. I'd recommend using a water bath and placing the probe in that rather than attaching it to the tank. This is good practice anyway especially if you temper the chemicals in the bath as well prior to using them. Attaching the probe to the tank should work, but its effectiveness will depend on how good the contact between the probe and tank is, and how much insulation the attachment method provides. My first attempt with Blu-Tak failed miserably because I forgot that massaging the Blu-Tak before use heats it up significantly. The timer took off at high speed!

We're just putting the finishing touches to the product and I hope to ship the first batch this week. The User Manual will be on our web site in the next few days.

I'll be buying one of these. Richard, have you had them made with the keyholes for wall mounting? Are the LEDs dim enough to be film-safe?

RH Designs
06-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I'll be buying one of these. Richard, have you had them made with the keyholes for wall mounting? Are the LEDs dim enough to be film-safe?

No keyholes as standard, but we can add some if you want. The display should be OK provided the timer isn't next to your tray - I don't think there's enough light to bounce around significantly, but as I don't use sheet film I've not been able to test it. I'll ask Chris to do some experiments as he uses 5x4 now and then. Could you place the timer out of the way of the trays but where you can still see the display - on a shelf beneath your work surface for example? Come to think of it I loaded some rollfilm into a tank next to it last night and there's no evidence on the negs of any ill effects.

jstraw
06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
No keyholes as standard, but we can add some if you want. The display should be OK provided the timer isn't next to your tray - I don't think there's enough light to bounce around significantly, but as I don't use sheet film I've not been able to test it. I'll ask Chris to do some experiments as he uses 5x4 now and then. Could you place the timer out of the way of the trays but where you can still see the display - on a shelf beneath your work surface for example? Come to think of it I loaded some rollfilm into a tank next to it last night and there's no evidence on the negs of any ill effects.

I could experiment wit location but this will probably go next to an existing Zone VI Compensating Timer. It could go in place of it but I already have it so I'm sure I'll keep it for timing something...washing perhaps. Something that is going on at the same time.

FWIW, the volume of the beep and the illumination of the display are both adjustable on the Zone VI. Even dialed all the way down, I find the display on it too bright when my eyes are accustomed to the darkness. I have a gel I put over it then.

RH Designs
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
FWIW, the volume of the beep and the illumination of the display are both adjustable on the Zone VI. Even dialed all the way down, I find the display on it too bright when my eyes are accustomed to the darkness. I have a gel I put over it then.

We have two levels of brightness and the beep can be switched off but there's no volume control.

Les McLean
06-24-2008, 04:48 PM
This may not be relevant but I have used the MkI version quite close to my 5 x 4 developing trays for some years without fogging film. Quite close is at eye level on the wall directly behind the tray in the wet bench which is just above waist level and about 30" from the timer.