PDA

View Full Version : Make your own emulsion formula

gr82bart
04-14-2008, 12:42 AM
It was pointed out to me that despite the number of posts, there's not really a lot of formulas. Here's one: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Emulsion/emulsion.html

Regards, Art.

Ryuji
04-14-2008, 05:51 AM
I have handed out one of my bromide printing emulsion formulas since 2004... which gives speed comparable to Fortezo, and contrast of grade 3. It's a very simple formula (single jet, sulfur only sensitization)...

The Kodak AJ-12 emulsion is simple, but noodle washing is laborious, and the afterripening stage doesn't add any chemical sensitizer. I don't know why.

If you want to make a printing emulsion, I suggest to change the precipitation profile (make finer grains), and then use coagulation wash, and then sulfur sensitization. This makes black much richer and also more crisp contrast.

If you want to make a camera negative emulsion, I also suggest to change the precipitation profile (to make coarser grains), coagulation wash, and sulfur plus gold sensitization. This makes shadow details much richer than the original formula.

Details available upon request.

Photo Engineer
04-14-2008, 09:43 PM
It was pointed out to me that despite the number of posts, there's not really a lot of formulas. Here's one: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Emulsion/emulsion.html

Regards, Art.

Art;

This is the well known Kodak emulsion AJ-12. I just put some information on the Light Farm thread, earlier today. This emulsion used to be on APUG but vanished in the conversion to the new server.

PE

David A. Goldfarb
04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Just try a search on "aj-12" with the quote marks and you'll turn up several threads on the topic. They're different enough from each other that I won't merge them, but they've been there all along.

jnanian
04-14-2008, 10:20 PM
i posted the forumula a few years ago ...
it took me a while to find it again, but i did ...

:)

enjoy!
john

rmazzullo
04-15-2008, 05:57 AM
Ryuji,

Welcome back to the APUG forums. You have mentioned that you have made emulsion formulas. Do you have some finished examples of how your emulsion formulas have turned out? Perhaps you can post a scan or two of the results of your efforts, with a brief description.

Bob M.