PDA

View Full Version : Multigrade emulsions

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Photo Engineer
04-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Ian;

AFAIK, there was no connection between the two. In fact, my impression is that Dupont did better than 3M in the graphic arts arena due to the quality of its Cronar base, and the fact that 3M had nothing of their own to compare. Kodak ended up in the lead due to the quality of the products and gradually 3M and Dupont dropped out closing plants here. 3M stayed active in color for a while, and several of its employees at the main office in Minn. became prominent in the SPSE. Then 3M sold off the Ferrania color division and left film completely.

Market share seemed to be Kodak < Dupont < 3M in graphic arts. I know that we had a big presence of the Dupont photo division at the Cape.

IDK the exact dates, but my memory says it was in the late 80s or early 90s that they both made the exit. Both plants stood idle for a while, then the Dupont factory was razed while the 3M plant was taken over by another company. I think the action came on the Dupont factory after someone set fire to the abandoned Dynachrome plant which was barely a block or two away. It was a very large fire and gutted the entire factory.

Dynachrome and Dupont were separated by a railroad overpass and spur which serviced both plants and then ran north to the Kodak plant (I think). There are several spurs running N/S there and IDK which serviced which. I was thinking that the Dynachrome fire was so bad, the only thing that saved the Dupont buildings was the fact that they were separated by the RR ROW footage.

PE

Neanderman
04-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Why were several/so many similar companies comming to sit on the doorstep of Kodak?

If not for Technology, if not for People, and if not to be absorbed, What then was calling them to Rochester? The weather?

It was a common phenomenon in late 19th Century industrial America. Wherever the leader in an industry was, so were many competitors or associated companies. Think Akron and rubber; Pittsburgh and steel. Here in Cincinnati it was soap and machine tools. Some of the smaller companies were spinoffs, formed by people who trained at the leading company and then left to form their own. Now we've shipped it all over to Asia, in the quest for higher profits.

Ed

Neanderman
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Remember that Cincinnatti was once the meat packing capitol of the world for a number of reasons, like transporation, supply, and actually, weather.

Oh, and did I mention meat packing? :D

Ed

Photo Engineer
04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Soap and meat packing seem to go together. I wonder why?

PE

David Grenet
04-30-2008, 06:34 PM
NaOH + Fat = Soap

MattKing
04-30-2008, 06:49 PM
I had a friend in law school who was (and is) quite brilliant, but at that time both younger than the rest of us, and a bit naive.

He became very committed to both natural products, and vegetarianism.

I will always remember his expression when someone told him what those natural soap products he was arguing for were actually made of :D.

Matt

Photo Engineer
04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Well, being an organic chemist originally, I learned early on the process of soap making or "saponification" so my original post was somewhat tongue in cheek. Sorry.

PE

David Grenet
04-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I guessed.

That's something I first learnt in high school chemistry so, you know, I had a feeling someone who had made chemistry their career might have an idea of the process themselves :p (<- that's what you needed!)

I just couldn't help myself in case anyone didn't know...

Kirk Keyes
04-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Soap and meat packing seem to go together. I wonder why?

I thought it was so you could clean up after that big plate of ribs...

(Sorry, I'm going to Kansas City in a couple months and I have BBQ on the mind.)

AgX
06-25-2009, 11:42 AM
... the Adox brand of films in Germany, which by 1954 were made under license from Dupont by Schleussner.

It was the other way round: Dupont bought Schleussner (by then named Adox Fotowerke).
And it was 1964.

Neanderman
06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Remember that Cincinnati was once the meat packing capitol of the world

And machine tools! And soap!

Ed

Neanderman
06-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Sorry, I seem to be repeating myself! Didn't remember reading this thread before. :-D

I will add, though, that I think DuPont stayed in the graphics art market long after it had abandoned the consumer/pro imaging market. I worked as a printer for 4 years after high school (mid to late 70s) and we used a lot of DuPont lith film, 3M pre- and press stuff and, yes, quite a bit of Kodalith and Kodalith A+B.

Kirk Keyes
06-27-2009, 10:06 AM
That's OK - the older I get, the more I find out that I'm repeating myself.

wildbillbugman
06-27-2009, 11:13 AM
That OK-the older I get, the more I find out that I am repeating someone else.
__________________________________________________ ______
Bill