PDA

View Full Version : Large Format Photographers and Cancer Benefit

Pages : [1] 2 3

Steve Sherman
04-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Greetings LF Photographers

The 2008 date for the Raid Our Gallery Cancer Benefit for the Middlesex Hospital is finalized, Monday October 27th 2008.

There will be slight variations on last years format in the hopes of making a terrific event even better for contributing photographers. The hospital is exploring possibilities to partner with Wesleyan University to host an exhibit of the submitted entries. As was the case last year, TV, radio and print coverage is planned.

To refresh your memory as to how the event works. Each contributing LF photographers donates three different images. In exchange for your contribution you will receive one ticket whose matching number will be randomly drawn at which time you may choose which ever image from the remaining images you desire. You may do this in person or through proxy vote after viewing images on the NEFPC web site.

Your images maybe output using traditional or digital processes. Each image must be film captured in 4x5 or larger film. Finished prints are mounted to outside dimensions of 14x18, 16x20 or 15x25.

Deadline for submission is September 1st to accommodate possibility of University gallery show.

To track updated information please visit the New England Large Format Photography Collective web site at http://www.nelfpc.com/ To view last year's Raid Our Gallery show please visit this link: http://photographs-johng.com/ROG2/

Last year's show raised over $20,000.00 for the Middlesex Cancer Center, in 2008 we are aiming for $30,000.00+ Please join us again this year for a truly unique and rewarding opportunity to exhibit your LF photographs.

Many thanks and warm regards, Steve Sherman

papagene
04-29-2008, 09:43 PM
I participated last year and it was a very good experience on all levels. You can count on me again this year!
All you LF photogers, please consider joining in... it's a very good cause to support.

gene

Stephanie Brim
04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm really hoping that I can do something this year. My great aunt and my mom's dad and my dad's mom have all had cancer. This would be a great opportunity to give back to a charity that I really believe in.

I'm just getting started in large format, though. Is that okay?

climbabout
04-30-2008, 07:27 AM
As a participant last year, I can attest to not only the quality of the entries, but the sense of goodwill at raising money for a great cause. Hope to see many of you involved. Plus, I walked away with a great print!
Tim

gothamtomato
04-30-2008, 07:42 AM
What do you do, auction off the prints? Is there also an event where you charge admission?

I'd love to hear how you raise the money (so I can attempt something like it as well.)
Thanks.

c6h6o3
04-30-2008, 09:49 AM
What do you do, auction off the prints? Is there also an event where you charge admission?

I'd love to hear how you raise the money (so I can attempt something like it as well.)
Thanks.

The website explains how it all works. See Steve's original post.

Of course I wouldn't miss this event for the world.

climbabout
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM

Thanks.

Here's a link from the 2007 event explaining how the funds are raised:
http://www.nelfpc.com/id6.html
Tim

magic823
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm game. How do I sign up?

Steve

Steve Sherman
04-30-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm game. How do I sign up?

Steve

You can PM me for the address to send the images to or email me at steve@steve-sherman.com

Our goal this year is 75 LF photographers so we are glad to see such early activity.

Many thanks!

lee
05-02-2008, 01:10 PM
mark me down again this year.

lee\c

Steve Sherman
05-02-2008, 03:10 PM
mark me down again this year.

lee\c

Thanks Lee

WarEaglemtn
05-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Sounds interesting but brings up some questions.

Have you contacted area lawyers about donating a free legal defense, will writing, real estate escrow handling or other auctioning off of their services?

How about local car dealerships so you can auction off a free engine tune up, overhaul or complete set of tires?

Grocery stores for free shopping sprees?

It may be a good cause but I have reservations just as I do with any group that targets artists. Our efforts are seen as worthy for donating mainly because of the pereption that our time and effort isn't really worth anything and 'it costs nothing' but a couple dollars in materials and brings in bucks at auctions. After all, we should be happen someone... anyone... actually wants the pictures.

How about the hospital auctioning off a free cancer treatment regimen, free cleft palate operation or something else of value that actually takes the time and effort of the health professionals? The Doctors and staff can donate all this and make it really worth while.

Artists are seen as fair game because our efforts are the Rodney Dangerfield of fund raising and we are seen as easy marks. After all, it is "just a pitcher".

climbabout
05-06-2008, 11:15 AM

Have you contacted area lawyers about donating a free legal defense, will writing, real estate escrow handling or other auctioning off of their services?

How about local car dealerships so you can auction off a free engine tune up, overhaul or complete set of tires?

It may be a good cause but I have reservations just as I do with any group that targets artists. Our efforts are seen as worthy for donating mainly because of the pereption that our time and effort isn't really worth anything and 'it costs nothing' but a couple dollars in materials and brings in bucks at auctions. After all, we should be happen someone... anyone... actually wants the pictures.

How about the hospital auctioning off a free cancer treatment regimen, free cleft palate operation or something else of value that actually takes the time and effort of the health professionals? The Doctors and staff can donate all this and make it really worth while.

Artists are seen as fair game because our efforts are the Rodney Dangerfield of fund raising and we are seen as easy marks. After all, it is "just a pitcher".

As one of last year's core participants, I can shed some insight to alleviate your concerns. No one here has "targeted" artists for donations. A small group of us approached the hospital with this idea. These types of events have been held in the past in various forms.

All the attendees to a person were highly impressed with the quality of work displayed, and were quite pleased to receive a piece of art to display in their home or office.
Our group wanted to increase awareness of large format photography as an art form and the cancer center needed to raise funds for research. Both sides came out winners, in my opinion.

Tim

papagene
05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
I can concur wholeheartedly with Tim. Everyone came out a winner, no one was taken advantage of like when local PBS stations do their "Art Auctions."

gene

Steve Sherman
05-06-2008, 05:47 PM

WOW! Sir, did you actually think before you submitted this post?

Doctors have it made, easy work schedule, always dealing with happy outcomes. Hospitals and Cancer Centers have scores of donations, they have to turn them away they have so many, yet still no cure for Cancer. And there won't be if more people take your stance.

As one of the several Large Format Photographers who dreamt up this "Scheme" and who has also sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of LF photography I never once thought of getting something in return.

What I did get in return was a glorious feeling of having been instrumental in helping human beings I have never met and who are less fortunate than I.

Oh, and one more thing, 150 Large Format images in one show was incredibly inspirational. The new LF friendships many of us made are treasured.

Sir, should you include yourself in the category of an artist than I can only hope there is a mass exodus from your faternity.

Respectfully submitted…

garysamson
05-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi Steve,
Please count me in again this year.
Gary Samson

WarEaglemtn
05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Yes, Steve, I thought about what I posted before doing so.

Your over reaction is unwarranted.

A simple explanation of how this came about would suffice.

TimVermont
05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Count me in.

Falkenberg
05-15-2008, 06:08 PM
This is a great project. When is the deadline for participation ?

Would it be OK, if we used Your project as inspiration for doing something similar here in denmark ?

Steve Sherman
05-15-2008, 09:54 PM
This is a great project. When is the deadline for participation ?

Would it be OK, if we used Your project as inspiration for doing something similar here in denmark ?

Submission deadline is Sept. 1st. PM me for an address if you can submit.

We would be honored if a similar project raised money for a worthy cause as well as bringing attention to Large Format Photography on a worldwide stage.

Best regards, Steve Sherman