PDA

View Full Version : a plate coating question

dpurdy
05-02-2008, 12:06 PM
I just have a quick question and I find the research I could do in this APUG section daunting.

I am just wondering, as I have a plate glass back for my Rollei and I have lots of plate holders, how realistic is it to think of making a very slow simple emulsion to coat glass plates with? I read in another thread a while back that it is easy to make EI 1 emulsion. I like to do a lot of still life work and always use a tripod so slow film is fine with me. I am intrigued with the idea of coating my own little plates. Can I expect to get the ingredients and have some success, though not perfect, right away?
Thanks Dennis

dwross
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Can I expect to get the ingredients and have some success, though not perfect, right away?
Thanks Dennis

Absolutely! Here are a few places to start:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Emulsion/emulsion.html
http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/GlassNegatives/MapTopic.htm
http://www.unblinkingeye.com/AAPG/DPlate/dplate.html

Best of fun,
d

dpurdy
05-02-2008, 12:40 PM
thank you dwross, there is a lot of info there and definitely enough to make a start.
Dennis

Kirk Keyes
05-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Dennis - I'm in Portland and I've made dry plates. If you want to talk, let me know.

Kirk

dpurdy
05-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Interesting. You and I are in Portland and dwross is on the oregon coast. This is an all oregon thread. I will definitely keep you in mind for questions when I get to them. Thanks for the offer.
Dennis

Kirk Keyes
05-03-2008, 12:04 AM
It's the rain here, Dennis, that does that.

rwyoung
05-03-2008, 12:07 AM
It's the rain here, Dennis, that does that.

If it is the rain, how can they possibly be "dry" plates? ;) :D

Captain_joe6
05-03-2008, 12:17 AM
I dunno how to keep it all dry, but here's another Oregonian (Portland) who is itching for nicer weather and more funds to make some 8x10 plates!

dwross
05-03-2008, 12:50 AM
How many dry plate enthusiasts do you suppose live in Oregon? We've got to plan a get-together. How about sometime in August? That's likely to be appropriately dry, even here on the Coast :).

Kirk Keyes
05-03-2008, 10:22 AM
OK - I'm in, Denise. Perhaps in Portland would give a better turnout? I can host.

dpurdy
05-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm in too, and the coast in August is a cool place to go. However I need to get some plates made and used to be part of the group.
Is dwross Denise?

dwross
05-03-2008, 11:12 AM
OK - I'm in, Denise. Perhaps in Portland would give a better turnout? I can host.

Kirk,
I was hoping you'd offer! Portland is a great place to kick off. If it were a Saturday, those who were interested in more could wonder over here to Newport on Sunday for an informal workshop/demo and some plate exposures at the docks.

I say we call this a go. Whether we are a few or a crowd, it'll be fun and informative. Unbeatable combination.

Denise

dwross
05-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm in too, and the coast in August is a cool place to go. However I need to get some plates made and used to be part of the group.
Is dwross Denise?

Dennis:

Nice to meet you. Yup, 'd' is Denise.

Good luck with your plates. August should give you enough time. But, I hope our little embryonic event will attract folks who are still in the "Definitely Interested (but not cooking yet)" stage. It's not like any of us are old, practiced hands - yet! I'd like to see that change over the next couple of years.

Denise

dwross
05-06-2008, 12:38 PM
OK, all you Oregon (and neighbors) dry plate fans. We're calling for the 1st Annual Oregon Dry Plate Party on the weekend of August 9-10, either split between Portland (Saturday) and Newport (Sunday) or both days in Newport. This is still in the beginning planning stages, so the details are embryonic. It may turn out that the sessions are split over different weekends. I can see advantages either way.

I'll post more details by the first of July. In the meantime, give it some thought and weigh in on what you'd like to see. Whether we are two or twenty, I'm looking forward to a great time.

Denise

Kirk Keyes
05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Denise - I'll start a new thread so people can find this info.