PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment - May/June, 2008: "Deterioration"

Pages : [1] 2

Marc Akemann
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Hello everyone!

Time again for yet another session of the APUG Monthly Shooting Assignment. Wildbill was the winner of the Jan/Feb MSA with the following entry, http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=31329 and has the honor of picking this month's theme and the next winner at the end of June. Sly, our Mar/Apr winner http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34001 will be choosing the Jul/Aug assignment for us.

For any new readers, here's the basic idea of the MSA :

1. read the MSA assignment, which will be inserted into the title of this thread.
2. take your photo according to the assignment guidelines
3. you can post your photo in the MSA Gallery : Click here (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=508) or,
4. you can host your photo elsewhere and link to it in this thread or,
5. you can post it right in the message here and it will show as a clickable thumbnail.
6. it's all for fun, there are no prizes, but at the end of the MSA, Sly will choose a "victim" to lead an MSA in a couple of months time.
7. if you have any questions, please email or PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Wildbill, whenever you're ready, the floor is yours!

Marc

Ole
05-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I've "stickied" the thread.

Marc Akemann
05-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I've "stickied" the thread.

Thanks Ole.

I've been in touch with 'Wildbill' and we'll have our new assignment very soon, everybody. :)

Marc

wildbill
05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Here's my idea for the May/June Monthly Shooting Assignment:

"Deterioration: something man has left behind."

vinny

Marc Akemann
05-04-2008, 09:45 PM

vinny

I like it, Vinny! Abandoned buildings, an old car ditched somewhere, a ghost town, Michigan roads..... ;) The subjects are many. Let's get shootin'!

Marc

Stephanie Brim
05-04-2008, 10:04 PM
OMG...I think I can do this one! YAY! It'll be a chance to try out a new camera, methinks. We'll see.

Jose A Martinez
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM

vinny

I like it... I'm in...

David Brown
05-06-2008, 12:54 PM

OK. This should be easy ... :p

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/38364-why-you-drawn-decay.html

bjazz
05-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Monthly Shooting Assignment:

Should be easy....just another self portrait... ;)

-B

Uncle Bill
05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Interesting topic, I am game....

Uncle Bill
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Shot this two weeks ago and printed last weekend.

Used a Nikkormat FTn with Kodak Tri-X processed with ID-11 1+1, printed on Kentmere VC Select Finelustre RC paper.

mooseontheloose
05-31-2008, 01:20 PM
I like a lot of the submissions so far -- unfortunately I just can't seem to upload anything other than my first attempt -- everything is just too wide :mad: (900-950 pixels usually) and I don't know how to reduce it without getting a really pixelated image, which is useless to post. Maybe I'll be luckier the next round...

Marc Akemann
05-31-2008, 03:34 PM
I like a lot of the submissions so far -- unfortunately I just can't seem to upload anything other than my first attempt -- everything is just too wide :mad: (900-950 pixels usually) and I don't know how to reduce it without getting a really pixelated image, which is useless to post. Maybe I'll be luckier the next round...

Hey mooseontheloose,

We're only half way through the May/June Monthly Shooting Assignment so don't give up on "Deterioration" just yet. You're only 100 pixels away (on the long end)!

Although I know how to get my images to the correct size for the APUG Gallery, I don't know to explain it very well so I'll just give you some numbers from one of my images ("The Party's Over"). The width in pixel dimensions is 850 pixels. In height is 569 pixels. The document size is 5.667" in width and 3.793" in height. The resolution is 150 pixels per inch. Hope that helps some how.

Marc

mooseontheloose
05-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi Marc,

I currently don't have the use of a personal computer (I will when I return to Canada in early July) so I have to use my work computer for everything (this is after hours of course, which is why I'm here on the weekend ;)). We have a simple flatbed scanner that I've been attempting to use, but other than resolution, I really can't control the pixel dimensions since the scanner software doesn't allow it and we have no other programs that can do it. If I lower the resolution too much, the scan is worthless, really. I have to admit I'm a bit of a digital noob, but I know that I was able to do these things with photoshop, way back when...until things change I don't think there's much I can do about it.

rachelle

Marc Akemann
05-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Rachelle,

I understand now. Well, I like your photograph of the car. Definitely fits the assignment!

Have a safe trip back to Canada and, hopefully, we'll see you for the July/Aug assignment.

Marc

sly
06-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Rachelle, could you email it to someone else on APUG, who could reduce it to acurate size and post it for you?

mooseontheloose
06-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Hi Sly,

Are you offering? :-)

No matter, I finally found a program that could resize my photos for me. I posted a few of the photos in the gallery. This whole scanning of prints is real learning process -- I'll have to start lurking over at hybird photo to figure out how best to capture the original version!

rachelle

carmenloofah
06-06-2008, 08:16 AM
I'd like to take part, I think I have to subsribe first in order to see the winners and perhaps other stuff, I am new to this site. What's the best way to post your entry, is it done using copy stand? I have never scanned any of my prints as I do not have any digital equipment but I need to develop this now as my mentor wants scanned negs too....thanks

Marc Akemann
06-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I'd like to take part, I think I have to subsribe first in order to see the winners and perhaps other stuff, I am new to this site. What's the best way to post your entry, is it done using copy stand? I have never scanned any of my prints as I do not have any digital equipment but I need to develop this now as my mentor wants scanned negs too....thanks

Welcome carmenloofah! Yes, you have to subscribe to APUG to upload photos to the gallery, but, I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that as a 'member' you can attach an image to a forum message without subscribing. If you see a little paper clip icon at the top of the message box as you're typing a message, I think it'll work.

If you don't have a scanner or access to a scanner in order to create a digital file of a print, negative or slide, you could bring your print, neg or slide to a lab and have them put your images onto a compact disc (CD). You can then download the images of the CD onto your computer and then upload these images to the APUG gallery, or where ever you like.

I suppose a reason to use a copy stand would be to take a photograph of a print that is too large for a typical scanner and then have the negative (of the copied print) scanned to a CD.

Hope that helps!

Marc

ny_photog
06-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi Film Sprocket,

Here's my first submission - not sure if this will work....

Oh, BTW, this was shot with the "old" Velvia 50.

I know folks here do not like color shots but I do like this one.

Hope I haven't offended anyone....