PDA

View Full Version : Dry Plate Get-Together

Kirk Keyes
05-06-2008, 03:17 PM
OK, all you Oregon (and neighbors) dry plate fans. We're calling for the 1st Annual Oregon Dry Plate Party on the weekend of August 9-10, either split between Portland (Saturday) and Newport (Sunday) or both days in Newport. This is still in the beginning planning stages, so the details are embryonic. It may turn out that the sessions are split over different weekends. I can see advantages either way.

I'll post more details by the first of July. In the meantime, give it some thought and weigh in on what you'd like to see. Whether we are two or twenty, I'm looking forward to a great time.

Denise

I'll host the Portland portion of this party, so let Denise Ross and I know what you are interested in. Also, Denise will be able to show the B&W printing emulsions that she makes, so it's not going to be all dry plates, I'm sure.

Kirk

JOSarff
09-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Kirk & Denise:

OK,I missed the first one. Do you have any plans for another workshop in the relatively near future?

Joe

dwross
09-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Joe:

We are planning on having the 2nd Annual Oregon Dry Plate Get-Together next August. No promises, of course. Life can throw curve balls, but right now, it's a good go. The weekend was a very rewarding experience.

For now, I'm working on getting as comprehensive as possible 'chapter' on dry plates up on the Light Farm. I hope you'll be able to get all the info you need from the website. Kirk will even be writing a bit about peristaltic pumps and misc emulsion making equipment. That should be posted within two weeks. If not, it will be soon after the first of October. (I'm off on my annual pilgrimage to Minnesota the last two weeks of September.)

Also, if you feel you need more instruction then a website can deliver, I give individualized 2-3 day workshops here at my studio. Email me if that is of interest.

Cheers,
Denise

Kirk Keyes
09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm up for it as well. It was really interesting and I think a lot of information was exchanged.

Kirk

ntenny
09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm up for it as well. It was really interesting and I think a lot of information was exchanged.

I agree---it was a terrific experience and I'd like to thank Kirk and Denise for bringing it together. I hope to be able to make it an annual event.

-NT

dwross
09-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Nathan,

It's great to hear you'll try to be a part of an annual event. You brought a lot to the party.

I have high hopes that next year we'll have a number of people making dry plates willing to share their techniques. I'm going to try to line up a venue where we can have our work on display. Once more people realize how easy (and beautiful) the old emulsions are, I think there will be a lot of old cameras and lenses come out of mothballs. I would really like to see the old emulsions exposed with old lenses. I've only used newer lenses for my work (so far) and except for some nifty halation, it's hard to tell the difference from film. It will take a group of us, working with different recipes and equipment, to fully realize the potential of the craft. Glad you're on board!

Cheers,
Denise

dwross
11-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi All You Dry-Platers,

I've finally got the Dry Plate Photography section posted on The Light Farm. I was so full of great ideas after our party, I went back into the darkroom and into the field instead of sitting down at my computer. I realized (all over again) a couple of weeks ago, that this stuff is never 'finished'. There are just too many great paths to follow. So, I've written down the current state of things. I have more ready to go whenever I can stand the sight of my keyboard again. And, hopefully, there will be more than just my work. Anytime someone has something they'd like to post on TLF, just let me know.

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/DryPlate/MapTopic.htm

d