PDA

View Full Version : Governors Island NYC - Walking Tour for Photographers

Fotoguy20d
05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm thinking of organizing a walking tour of Governors Island, and particularly the National Monument part of it, for large format photographers. Depending on interest, there will probably also be non-format-limited photography tours for more advanced photographers (P&S photographers can take the regular, ranger led tour). Most likely, the tours would be on a Sunday in June or July. For LF groups, I would limit the size of the group to around ten to prevent us tripping over each other's tripods. Other tours would probably be limited to 15-20. Tours will include access to a couple of areas not normally open to visitors.

If you're interested, please let me know either through this thread or via PM. If you want to be notified of tour dates/times, make sure to include your e-mail address in the PM.

Dan

David A. Goldfarb
05-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I'd be very interested. If June, the 1st and 29th (first and last Sundays) probably wouldn't work for me, but any other Sunday in June or July should be good.

TheFlyingCamera
05-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd be interested, and I would be happy to drum up support for the idea from my fellow Washington DC folks.

This would be for the Large Format tours, for myself and anyone else I'd be bringing along from DC. Could be up to three of us.

roodpe
05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I would like to go. Anytime in June would be good.

Pete

eddie gunks
05-08-2008, 07:01 PM
i am in! so far any date is fine with me.

Fotoguy20d
05-08-2008, 08:56 PM
For those who are interested, Governors Island National Monument has a number of special events during the season. It's unlikely I would run a tour during one of those weekends but they're a great time to visit to catch a living history event. Here are the weekends I know of:

June 21 - 22 Army Heritage

August 2-3 Revolutionary War

August 9-10 Civil War

August 23-24 Battle of Brooklyn

You can visit their website (http://www.nps.gov/gois/) for more details on the island and these events (as they get closer). I've been on island for the Civil War event the past two years and it's fantastic. Link to some of my photos from the event (http://119nysv.org/GovIsle2006/Governors.html).

alec4444
05-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm in too. Booked the weekend of June 8 and the following weekend as well. Otherwise free!

FM2N
05-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Sounds like a good time. Please include me and any weekend in june works.
Arthur, NYC

rmann
05-09-2008, 09:23 AM
I might be able to join in - depending on the date.

MenacingTourist
05-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Please keep us updated. I'm interested.

Bruce Osgood
05-23-2008, 08:41 AM
If June, I'm in.

Fotoguy20d
05-23-2008, 09:26 AM
If June, I'm in.

I'd like to do a tour in June and then one later in the season. I need to confirm it with the park, but right now my only options in June are the 8th or the 29th. 8th is short notice, and only the second weekend of the season so that might not be doable. I'll update again once I have a firm date.

Once I have the details, I'll post them along with the e-mail address to reserve a spot.

One consideration, when coming with big camera gear, is that cars are not allowed on the island, and parking can be difficult (or expensive if not available on street) in the area since it's right near South Street Seaport. On the other hand, access via public transportation is pretty good (the ferry terminal to the island is right next to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal by the Battery.

Dan

David A. Goldfarb
05-23-2008, 11:07 AM
The 29th would be great for me. No problem for me to get to the Seaport by subway.

FM2N
05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Either date works for me.
Arthur

TheFlyingCamera
05-23-2008, 11:22 AM
The 29th works better for me, planning-wise, but remember that weekend is a big tourist weekend (NY Pride) and rooms for folks from out of town may be hard to come by/ more expensive.

highpeak
05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Prefer the 29th also.

Alex W.

Bruce Osgood
05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I'M IN FOR THE 29TH.

gr82bart
05-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Ummm .... Are those of us less endowed allowed to play too?

Regards, Art.

Fotoguy20d
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
I know it's short notice but is anyone up for an informal* tour on Sunday June 8th at 12:00? Ferries from Manhattan leave every hour on the hour (promptly) and return on the half hour. So, we would meet up on the island at around 12:15. Tour would run around 1-2 hours depending on everyone's interest but since the island is open on Sunday, you can drop off at any point and wander on your own and catch any ferry back to Manhattan (ferry is free, tickets not required, but sometimes there can be a very long line and/or a full boat but that's usually on a special event weekend). I'm going to limit this tour to around 15 analog photographers only (any format). Please PM me if you are planning to attend so I can reserve you a spot.

Dan

*I haven't been to Governors Island yet this year, and haven't done a tour since last October so I'm going to be rusty on the facts/history. I'm planning on using Sunday to get ideas of what would be of interest to more serious photographers (those who aren't taking their photos with a cell phone for instance) so I can refine the tour route for the future.

Fotoguy20d
06-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Anyone interested for a tour on the 8th? I'm about to send a write-up to my NPS contact to go on their website but I may not bother if there's no interest.

Thanks,
Dan