PDA

View Full Version : Have 3 old fold cameras, can't open them

threeoutside
05-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Hello everyone, I'm the widow of a photographer, and I've been selling his darkroom and camera equipment here on APUG since about January. I have three old fold cameras, and my local APUG angels have given me descriptions of them and their conditions, but I canNOT get them open to photograph them for classified ads. I'm afraid to force anything because they're pretty old.

The #3-A Autographic Kodak Jr., I can't even get the case open. It's got a latch with a button but the button appears to be solid brass of one piece with the faceplate; there's a teeny keyhole with a little brass nub showing, but the nub won't budge noway, nohow. The others aren't in a separate carrying case.

If anyone would like to help me out with a walk-through I would be most grateful! I have taken detailed, up-close photos I can email to you so you can see details better, but I see that I can't upload the images directly here.

Any advice will be highly appreciated! My email address is threeoutside@gmail.com.:confused:

Terry Hickman
Omaha, NE USA

moose10101
05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Many old Kodak folders have a button hidden under the leather covering that has to be pressed to open the front of the camera.

Jim Noel
05-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Also, in addition to what Moose said,others opened by moving the metal at the top of the door outwards.

Bob F.
05-09-2008, 08:52 PM
This may help: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/kodak_autograph_3a/kodak_autographic_3a.htm

Try a google search for manuals for the other cameras you may have problems with (the above Butkus.Org site has a lot of old camera manuals).

Good luck, Bob.

threeoutside
05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks, folks. I'll try that URL. I think I saw it yesterday - the manual wasn't much use as to opening the case becasue it's just a drawing - and it's an image of the 1920's manual, which is kind of cool, but they didn't realize they'd have this know-nothing tyro who needs ridiculously detailed instructions, trying to open their camera. :D