PDA

View Full Version : GSL, anyone?

Pages : [1] 2

yardkat
05-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Evilhomer78 and I were discussing the possibility of getting together to go out shooting possibly around Great Salt Lake, probably one of the first two Saturdays in June. Anyone interested in making it an outing? I'm on hiatus in June and am looking forward to a break, and to getting out to shoot. I'm really interested in the lake, but honestly I don't know how to access it other than Antelope Island or Saltair. Anyway, if anyone is interested, let's get together!
Julie

Robert Hall
05-21-2008, 12:38 AM
That sounds like a great idea.

I was thinking of the sun tubes on the solstice. The Jetti and other points on the north side are loads of fun as well.

hermit
05-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I agree it sounds like a good idea. There's some great stuff around the Jetti and the north shore. I am in Malad, Idaho and two of us do mainly collodion, both wet and a lot of dry plates. Been wanting to hit the lake again. Would be interested.

J Truman

yardkat
05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Yay! Interested people!
Any preference on which date? Either June 7 or 14? Or both?

Robert Hall
05-22-2008, 11:01 AM
The 14th I'm up at the logan summerfest thur through sat so maybe the 7th? Otherwise come up the canyon and say hi.

hermit
05-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I could likely make either, but the 7th would be better for me too. Are we talking north shore area? I'd suggest the Jetti area.

J Truman

evilhomer78
05-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I guess I'll finally make a post here. I've always wanted to check out the spiral jetti and/or the sun tubes. I just have no idea of how to get to them. I've heard you should have a good 4x4 to get to the jetti. I've got a jeep wrangler but I can only haul myself and 1 other person with equipment, even though it has 4 seats.

Robert Hall
05-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Not hard to find either if you've been there. (lol)

I'm in favor of the north shore. The sun tubes are a ways off btw, and really should be done at sunrise or sunset on the solstice. (June 21 as an fyi)

hermit
05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Here's a couple of links to maps and directions to the Jetty. The road doesn't require four wheel driving, and a Wrangler would do fine getting there.

http://climb-utah.com/WM/Maps/spiraljetty.jpg
http://www.spiraljetty.org/#visinfo
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/intellect_and_entertain/pink_water_white_salt_black_rock.htm

Hope these help!

J Truman

yardkat
05-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Thank you for the links! So a Subaru would do just fine, then?
If anyone is interested, as we get closer to the date perhaps we could set up a carpool of some sort?

raucousimages
05-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm in if I am free when you go. June will be busy. Have truck will travel.

hermit
05-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Has anyone given this more thought and dates?

evilhomer78
05-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Has anyone given this more thought and dates?

I'm down with either day. Did we decide to go the the jetty?

yardkat
06-01-2008, 02:51 PM
OK, let's do it next Saturday, June 7. I think the Jetty is the choice. Any suggestions for meeting times, and should we plan a meeting place?

WarEaglemtn
06-01-2008, 03:01 PM
The dirt road to The Spiral Jetty is just fine, even when wet and muddy. Good enough to have driven a nice Mercedes 300D and a newer Corvette on. Not all that smooth but any vehicle can make it just fine.

If you give the folks at Northern Utah Camera Club a hollar or email they might be interested as well. Most live in Ogden and points North and a number have been photographing around the North end of the lake for some years now.

glhurst56@msn.com
BPar@digis.net

The two email addresses are for Gary Hurst and Barry Parsons, past & current officers of the camera club. Not a bad group at all and a number shoot LF gear. Speakers at their meetings in the past have included Robert Hall (on this board), Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee, Tillman Crane, Rodger Newbold, Craig Law and a number of other LF shooters of note.

Good luck on the outing. Great Salt Lake is a gold mine of photo opportunities for anyone with an ounce of creative vision.

Michael Slade
06-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Hey, I spoke to you guys and I'm here! (*sob sob*).

A bunch of friends (non photographers) from SLC are going to the Sun Tunnels on the day *prior* to the solstice. I want to take some families out and want to miss all of the craziness that happens on the actual solstice. A day early won't be all that bad. So, we're going out on that Friday and spending the night at the tunnels and leaving Sat. mid-morning. Probably head down to Wendover then back to SLC.

The trip is open to anyone who would like to join us.

I'm busy next weekend, or I'd join you at the Jetty. Look in tomorrows SL Trib. There's going to be an article about my GSL project. You guys might find it interesting.

The dirt road to The Spiral Jetty is just fine, even when wet and muddy. Good enough to have driven a nice Mercedes 300D and a newer Corvette on. Not all that smooth but any vehicle can make it just fine.

If you give the folks at Northern Utah Camera Club a hollar or email they might be interested as well. Most live in Ogden and points North and a number have been photographing around the North end of the lake for some years now.

glhurst56@msn.com
BPar@digis.net

The two email addresses are for Gary Hurst and Barry Parsons, past & current officers of the camera club. Not a bad group at all and a number shoot LF gear. Speakers at their meetings in the past have included Robert Hall (on this board), Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee, Tillman Crane, Rodger Newbold, Craig Law and a number of other LF shooters of note.

Good luck on the outing. Great Salt Lake is a gold mine of photo opportunities for anyone with an ounce of creative vision.

Robert Hall
06-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Of course you did Michael, but that was a _paid_ announcement. ;)

Hey, I have family coming up the 7th so I can't make it then. Someone take some nice images for me, k?

yardkat
06-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I believe I'm going to be out of town for the solstice, too bad because it sounds like a fun outing. But if June 14 works better for people as far as the jetty goes, we can certainly switch the dates if people prefer. Either one is perfectly fine by me, so please speak up if you have a preference.

Fred Aspen
06-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Not entirely off topic but there is dearth of photogenic destinations here in N. Utah. Nearly ten years of being a resident of SLC and I am always searching for places to photograph in the northern half of the state and coming up empty or disappointed.

Of course, the southern half is rife with opportunities but I only get down there two or three times a year. Up north, the jetty, as mentioned, Antelope Island, GSL, Saltair, and...? I sometimes like to hit the library downtown for some architectural abstracts, Gardner Village, Red Butte Gardens and Thanksgiving Point, although they are getting pretty uptight about photographers.

What am I missing here in the SLC metropolitan area that would provide stimulating photo opportunities?

Searching for suggestions,

Fred

Michael Slade
06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Not entirely off topic but there is dearth of photogenic destinations here in N. Utah.

You, my friend, are mistaken. The things that are here to photograph may not be as flashy or sexy as those in the southern half of the state, but trust me there is plenty to shoot.

Get a map, get in your truck, fill the tank and start driving. Oh yeah, take plenty of water. It gets hot out there in the summer.

I was in Moab for 3 days this spring and was bored with the photography.