PDA

View Full Version : A FLORIDA APUG WORKSHOP AND GET TOGETHER

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

reellis67
07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't know what subject matter everyone is interested in, so I left out the Space Coast spots which are mostly bird oriented (although you can do some free form nudes on some of the beaches there!) My own preferences are for either black water rivers/streams (something I'm thinking about working with for a bit), or as Michael stated, driftwood (something I've done a few times and enjoyed). I'm not a big landscape person, although some of the fellows that I sometimes photograph with are into that sort of thing. I'll drive anywhere in the state for a get-together of this sort, so I'd prefer to let others make the calls on where to meet. I just wanted to post some places near here since it's a central location and so that people would have a bigger list to choose from.

- Randy

P.S. Paul, the heat index near our place yesterday (when my wife wanted me to mow of all things!), was 105 F...

Paul Verizzo
07-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm mostly interested in shapes, forms, textures, lighting. Plenty in my own backyard, but just spending time away from here would be very good. Sure, love catching a good bird shot or whatever, but not my intent.

Reallis, how do you find the heat index? I've looked for Comfort Index in the past and I couldn't find anything official.

reellis67
07-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Paul,

It's on the local news station. They like to go on and on about it - gives them something to talk about I suppose. It hit that again today too..

- Randy

michael9793
07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Yesterday I took some time off from my caregiving and thought I'd do some shots in Venice. Not too far with $4 gas, new scenery. The first two parks and beaches were in the open sun, early to midafternoon.

HOLY FLIP, IT WAS HOT!

There's a reason I left here 35 years and 140 pounds ago. I returned here in October to take care of my old parents and have been weather miserable a lot. I do grab the bull by the horns and work outside even when I don't like it, I have become a bit acclimated, but not what I prefer. Never much liked the humidity here (part of the HOT equation, of course.) Sweat dripping onto my camera is not happy times.

I noticed last fall and winter the coolest weather actually came in February and March, October into January amazingly warm.

Anyway, just a realization and reality check that this boy ain't doing hot.....

come on Paul, suck it up!!!!!!!
go over to Myakka state park with a 8x20 and a horse blanket and go for it. If you don't get bit by mosquitoes and lost 10 lbs in water your not photographing in Florida.

mike a

Paul Verizzo
07-22-2008, 08:25 AM
come on Paul, suck it up!!!!!!!
go over to Myakka state park with a 8x20 and a horse blanket and go for it. If you don't get bit by mosquitoes and lost 10 lbs in water your not photographing in Florida.

mike a

Presume you mean an 8x10, but I get it!

I often think about William Henry Jackson photographing the west. Here's a snippet I just grabbed off of Wikipedia:

Jackson worked in multiple camera and plate sizes, under conditions that were often incredibly difficult. His photography was based on the collodion process invented in 1848 and published in 1851 by Frederick Scott Archer. Jackson traveled with as many as three camera-types-- a stereographic camera (for stereoscope cards), a "whole-plate" or 8x10" plate-size camera, and one even larger, as large as 18x22". These cameras required fragile, heavy glass plates (photographic plates), which had to be coated, exposed, and developed onsite, before the wet-collodion emulsion dried. Without light metering equipment or sure emulsion speeds, exposure times required inspired guesswork, between five seconds and twenty minutes depending on light conditions.

Preparing, exposing, developing, fixing, washing then drying a single image could take the better part of an hour. Washing the plates in 160 F hot spring water cut the drying time by more than half, while using water from snow melted and warmed in his hands slowed down the processing substantially. His photographic division of 5-7 men carried photographic equipment on the backs of mules and rifles on their shoulders - Siouxess still made scalping - Jackson's life experience (as military, as peaceful dealing with Indians) was welcomed. The weight of the glass plates and the portable darkroom limited the number of possible exposures on any one trip, and these images were taken in primitive, roadless, and physically challenging conditions. Once when the mule lost its footing, Jackson lost a month's work, having to return to untracked Rocky Mountain landscapes to remake the pictures, one of which was his celebrated view of the Mount of the Holy Cross.

And I think I have it tough, at least a cold beer awaiting after sweating!

doughowk
07-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I have to wonder how Jackson would have dealt with our Summers - trekking thru marsh & swamp with temps & humidity near 100, being eaten by chiggers, no-see-ums, ticks, deer flies as well as mosquitoes, and trying to avoid gators, moccasins, rattle snakes and now pythons - while carrying LF & ULF camera gear. Makes me envious of his horse, mule & snow melt.

michael9793
07-28-2008, 07:41 AM
paul,
I mean 8x20 or if you want to use a 8x10 it is just as bad under the cape. I was in the everglades shooting sunday and I don't think I found one spot on my shirt that was dry all day.

mike

Paul Verizzo
07-28-2008, 08:48 AM
paul,
I mean 8x20 or if you want to use a 8x10 it is just as bad under the cape. I was in the everglades shooting sunday and I don't think I found one spot on my shirt that was dry all day.

mike

I don't really know much about LF, but still am amazed at there being an 8x20. As in, wiiiiiiiide format? Or good for skyscraper architectural?? :rolleyes:

Regardless, too damned hot/humid.

juan
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Wimps. Why I remember the first time going to a neighbor's house and standing in front of that big, noisy box in the window that amazingly blew cool air. Then I went home to be sprayed down with Black Flag just in time to run outside and join the other neighborhood kids running behind the DDT truck. Now that was the real Florida.
juan

Paul Verizzo
07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Wimps. Why I remember the first time going to a neighbor's house and standing in front of that big, noisy box in the window that amazingly blew cool air. Then I went home to be sprayed down with Black Flag just in time to run outside and join the other neighborhood kids running behind the DDT truck. Now that was the real Florida.
juan

Because our home is on the outside of a sharp turn with water on the other side, the DDT guy used to come down the driveway to blast our property. Then we would run after the truck holding our breath as we went back and forth through the haze.

Yet, here I am all these years later and I'm perfectly normal....perfectly normal....perfect..

michael9793
07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Because our home is on the outside of a sharp turn with water on the other side, the DDT guy used to come down the driveway to blast our property. Then we would run after the truck holding our breath as we went back and forth through the haze.

Yet, here I am all these years later and I'm perfectly normal....perfectly normal....perfect..

But you forgot about the well that is next to the septic tank and can't figure out why the water smells like sh.. Lucky for me i have all three ears and 6 fingers on each hand.

Paul Verizzo
07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
But you forgot about the well that is next to the septic tank and can't figure out why the water smells like sh.. Lucky for me i have all three ears and 6 fingers on each hand.

Not here at the house I grew up in, but a house I rented for three years. Big, lush grass in rows over the perforated sewage pipe. I don't think it even had a septic tank, IIRC. Thirty feet away, the well. I have no recollection of its depth. The sulfur smell masked anything, um, organic.

michael9793
09-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Guys,
with all the hurricanes and tropical storms this year, It may be a good thing to put this meeting off till after the first of the year. along with I have had my share of family deaths this year and at this point I would like to cool it till after Jan 2009. what do you all say?

Mike andersen

doughowk
09-08-2008, 04:23 AM
I'm still cleaning up the mess from TS Fay. After the 1st of year is good for me. Maybe we can put some thought into workshop(s) for the get together.

Btw, there is a good exhibit at Southeast Museum of Photography (http://www.smponline.org/) in Daytona Beach. Lee Dunkel's Florida Wetlands is an APUG-friendly exhibit (silver gelatin prints) that is worth seeing - very interesting high-contrast images.

Paul Verizzo
09-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Guys,
with all the hurricanes and tropical storms this year, It may be a good thing to put this meeting off till after the first of the year. along with I have had my share of family deaths this year and at this point I would like to cool it till after Jan 2009. what do you all say?

Mike andersen

I'd prefer the winter if only for the weather. OTOH, accomodations will be harder to come by and more expensive. Perhaps some non-touristy place like Arcadia would be over here. I'm NOT suggesting Arcadia, just an example.

reellis67
09-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Sounds fine to me. I understand completely about family problems. Take as long as you need as far as I'm concerned - I'll still meet wherever everyone thinks is a good spot.

- Randy

michael9793
09-12-2008, 08:13 PM
The point about hotel cost in season is something I forgot about. since season end 1st of May maybe by then we can get together for a real APUG grouping. Till then if anyone is going on any weekender let me know I'm looking to do some after the FSU football season.

mike a

Paul Verizzo
09-12-2008, 09:33 PM
The point about hotel cost in season is something I forgot about. since season end 1st of May maybe by then we can get together for a real APUG grouping. Till then if anyone is going on any weekender let me know I'm looking to do some after the FSU football season.

mike a

I think weather (i.e. cooler and drier) during the winter is a bigger plus factor than the negative of spending more on accomodations. In fact, that would make camping a possibility.

doughowk
09-13-2008, 05:34 AM
Camping - great idea. I haven't done that since leaving Virginia 20 years ago. Need to get tent that fits my truck - don't like idea of sleeping on the ground in Florida.

Paul Verizzo
09-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Camping - great idea. I haven't done that since leaving Virginia 20 years ago. Need to get tent that fits my truck - don't like idea of sleeping on the ground in Florida.

Only problem with sleeping on the ground compared to my Boy Scout days here is now it is SO hard to get up off of the ground!

On a more serious note, consider a cot. That's what I'll have, prolly. Got a sturdy oversized one on eBay four years ago for maybe forty dolla. I sold or gave away my tents in Colorado but I have all the other hardware. BTW, it snowed the other day in the mountains. Made me homesick when I heard that.