PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 14 Results and Feedback ...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Síle
09-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi all,

Finally I'm done.. A series of unfortunate events that rival Lemony Snicket's kept me this late.. but the cards are going out in the post tomorrow.
Thank you all for your patience..

Akki14
09-16-2008, 02:32 AM
I recieved Bob F.'s pretty card last week :) Thank you!

gordrob
09-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Bob F's card arrived yesterday - nicely done shot of waves crashing on the rocks.

gord

Bob F.
09-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Sorry for the delay folks: I was driving around with them in my glove-compartment (does anyone still wear gloves???) for over two weeks (which means they would have been late anyway of course: just not by quite so much)...

Cheers, Bob.

PVia
09-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Bob...nice image and print tone. What dev did you use...?

Bob F.
09-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Bob...nice image and print tone. What dev did you use...?
Agfa Neutol WA. For paper, some people got MGIV-RC and others got the last of my Polywarmtone RC. If you got interesting tones then that was probably the PWT ;)...

PVia
09-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I've been thinking of trying Neutol WA or making up my own warm-tone dev from old Agfa recipes...has anyone tried WA on Ilford MGIV FB (not WT)?

Buster6X6
09-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Today I received card from Bob F "Bamburgh Beach" Very nice tonality and balance.
Thanks Greg

Simplicius
09-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Summary of postcards received to date: not in any particular order. Comments are what this beginner (12months and 40 films developed) got from each one and might explain why I’ve signed up for double the amount in Exchange 15. In summary each card has made me think and to have actual examples of variables of paper, film, developer, etc listed provides a huge free education service.

Bob F: Bamburgh Beach, Fantastic tones, no way can get that kind of detail and tones... Mental Note: must try stand development myself v soon and warm tone paper.

Jon King: Appalachian Cove, trees are not my thing but now I will have to look again about how they are framed. Mental Note: composition can make the mundane look interesting.

Mooseontheloose: Giants Causeway Antrim. A lesson in how Infrared film can be used to create mood, plus the effects of toning and bleaching first hand. Mental Note: Don’t dismiss infrared as something for people who like white foliage! Get a few rolls and try.

Crispinuk: “don’t stray from path”: Ilford Delta 100 looks great, must try and also try Rodinal Mental Note: for rich tones and low grain this is a good combo to try, must compare to FP4.

DRPSILVER: “Jug in the Cabinet” Damn postal service scoured the front of this card but it is a great example of how there is a picture in everything. Mental Note: look for still life compositions that have a similar balance of light and dark textures, this alone makes them worth it.

Tim Gray: The Barbeque: This is a cracker, and made me laugh at the expression, I prefer photographing people to things, this is a brilliant capture of flames and expression on Tom’s face. Mental Note: try using 3200 pulled as per this shot for high speed shooting at events where I want to relax and yet get shots. Shot with a Leica M6 – Emotions of pure jealousy! smirks

Sly: “Snow Drops”: This was grabbed by my partner and is on the wall in her study. Stunning still life and as she pointed out to me (being far more artistic than I) it’s all about the composition and light. (I think she called me dummy too at this point). Beautiful, delicate and so sharp. Mental Note: On those upcoming dark and wet days of winter try this style of photography and look into ‘silver prints’ [/LIST]

Final Thought, Any beginner who wants to get more of a feel for all the possibilities that are discussed in all the forums should sign up for this. Postcard Exchange is like a free accelerated learning course as well as a delight to get cards in your postbox.

BWKate
09-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry for my lateness. My postcards for Round#14 have gone in the post today!

Akki14
09-25-2008, 05:03 AM
Yay! I recieved Kate's postcard today. It's really cool and confused me at first because it looks like lots of tiny photograms. Thank you for the kind words as well :)

BWKate
09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
You are very welcome Heather! I can't believe how fast that was!!

drpsilver
09-26-2008, 01:32 AM
25 Sept 2008

Kate:

I am glad that you liked my card, and thank you for the compliment. I really like you card. An interesting perspective of what looks like a gazebo made more interesting by the IR effects. It must have been interesting to wonder around "Little Mexico" during a festival.

Regards,
Darwin

BWKate
09-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Darwin,
It was a blast! Downtown L.A. is a great place to wander around. It was also made weirder by the fact that I had the flu and was actually quite fevered. I didn't want my being sick to ruin my special day out to photograph. I tried not to pass out on a downtown street corner.

kraker
09-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Two more received since my last post, but still missing seven out of thirty (actually, thirty-one, but that's not according to Ruediger's program), a bit sad, to be honest; I've commited again to send 30 in the next round, but 7 missing out of 30 is not a good score.

I'd like to blame one or another postal service, but to be honest, I can't be sure. Don't want to name-and-possibly-shame, but... I'm tempted.

It would be so good if we could get an overview of who has and who hasn't yet sent their postcards.

Anyhow... I received Bob F.'s Beach shot; I'm guessing mine is on Ilford paper (IIRC there were toned ones and significantly less toned ones; mine falls in the latter category). Lively action shot, thanks.

And I received, outside of the list of 30 as compiled by rst's program, yet another beautiful card from Kate. Still using whatever is left of your HIE, I suppose? It's a beauty! Overwhelmed me, gave me a good feeling in troubled times. Thanks, Kate.

I guess it's now time to scan my round #14 postcard and show it in the appropriate gallery. I will do that (but don't hold your breath).

It's been an interesting round, but, as said, I hope it's not over yet, seven more to come?!?!

Buster6X6
09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks Kate for a very interesting contact print of antique glass buttons. It provoked me to think first, and then I read capture of course this are glass buttons :)

Greg

BirgerA
09-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Received Kates card last Saturday. Thanks for the nice words. I liked the idea of the contact sheet, and the immediate reaction was: Which one would I have printed larger...

Regards

Birger A.

Anke Drewitz
09-29-2008, 09:09 AM
received a lot more cards last two month (no particular order):

hermit rusting dreams: very nice peace of work, I like it very much
black dog Dartmore: just takes me back to my holidays in Scotland two years ago, thanks
BirgerA master chef: I can imagine that she is the chef of your family ;)
erikg end of the road: catched a good moment
jbannow pines: would love to see this as a big print
kraker grains & pebbles: reminds to Goldworthy's works
mikeg Clematis: delicate flower in a very delicate light, love this
Mick Fagan very interesting kind of construction (there are some changes in Jena, you should come again and we should take a shot together :) )
crispinuk Don't stray from the path: what a lot of motives in one picture, I would stray away ;)
gr82bart a picture to store
Jon King really huge bonsais ;) (thanks for your kind words)
Tim Gray nice party picture, the atmosphere comes out of the picture
ozphoto dentist chair: interesting view into a strange scene (thanks for your kind words)
bdial: Beacon Hill-Railing: interesting detail
gordrob a nice piece of infrared, inpired me to have to go at this
Matthijs: Pompeii: brings some thought to think about life, the universe and all other things ;-)
Bob F. Bamburgh Beach: nice tones and the desire to go the seas one more time
and last but not least BWKate's glass buttons inspired me to my motive for the next round :D

So just 7 Postcards to come (I hope so), does anybody heard something or got a card from AdamKap, Allen Friday, brchambe, Lynda or PepMiro?

Thanks for all senders,
Anke

david b
09-29-2008, 12:34 PM
According to my records, I am still waiting on 10.

I sent out 50.

Allen Friday
09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
I am one of the slackers, for the second round in a row. I will get the cards done. Sorry for the delay.

Allen